Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Cancelled flight on partner award booking

Old Jun 23, 22, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SQ PPS, BA Gold

I don’t know if this should be posted on Cathay or Finnair forum…
- I bought a one way reward ticket in March for HKG-HEL-JFK, with AsiaMiles (Cathay Pacific 160 ticket)
- The first segment has just been cancelled by AY, as the route won’t be operated in August
- I am seeking options for rebooking but CX insists that it should be in reward inventory and no availability in the dates I can travel on (28 or 29 August)
- CX wants to force a refund which I don’t want as I absolutely need to travel
- I thought in case of airline cancellation (involuntary rerouting) I could be rebooked in the same travel class and fare difference/ reward availability was ignored
- CX is of no help and AY keeps saying it is not their ticket… I feel like in a tennis game in between the two reservations team.

any idea how to solve this? CX has plenty of availability on its direct services between HKG and JFK for cash bookings but one ways are outrageously priced…
Old Jun 23, 22, 4:34 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
As you redeemed CX miles, contacting AY will not help. You need to deal with CX. In practice, you are at their mercy, unfortunately.

You could refer to EC261, which applies to the AY HKG-HEL flight, and which says that you may opt for a reroute (instead of a refund), but AY themselves ignore this (so even if you had booked with AY, it would be a problem to rebook onto another flight without award availability).

My advice would be to try to press CX to reroute you, but if they insist on not doing it, then you're pretty much out of luck.
Old Jun 24, 22, 12:43 pm

Try KRIL and complain that AY won't offer the statutory rerouting. As the flight is in August, maybe they will react in time. The case won't be concluded in time for the flight, but maybe they react when they see the complaint.

In principle AY has to refund you for a cash ticket if rerouting is refused.
Old Jun 24, 22, 3:25 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
It's not AY's problem at all, the ticket was sold (or "sold") by CX. CX has to solve this even if the flight that is cancelled is an AY flight.
SPBanker and Steve_Hun like this.

Search this Thread