Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Seat reservation for AA flight opb AY?

Seat reservation for AA flight opb AY?

Old Aug 18, 22, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Just to report back - as most had predicted on this thread, free seat reservation with an AA-issued ticket was not possible. Tried it for both flights via the AY-chat but they wanted me to part with 150 EUR each way for the seat reservation...
Old Aug 18, 22, 5:27 pm

Location: The part of NC where we have electricity, paved roads, and high school diplomas.
Programs: AA Platinum
The seat reservation fee is likely because the fare code translates into a “Business Light” fare on Finnair, not simply because it was booked as an AA codeshare and the ticket issued by AA.

That may not be the only disappointment you’ll encounter on your trip…
What are the restrictions with these new business class fares?
  • They only allow carry-ons, and not any checked bags
  • They earn 150% elite miles, rather than the 200-250% elite miles offered by other fares
  • They don’t allow any changes or cancellations
  • They only allow seat assignments and lounge access for a fee
  • They don’t allow priority check-in, priority security, or priority boarding.
    https://onemileatatime.com/finnair-b...usiness-class/

Last edited by WindowSeatFlyer; Aug 18, 22 at 5:34 pm
Old Aug 18, 22, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WindowSeatFlyer View Post
The seat reservation fee is likely because the fare code translates into a Business Light fare on Finnair, not simply because it was booked as an AA codeshare and the ticket issued by AA.

That may not be the only disappointment youll encounter on your trip
No, it was no C-Light fare. No problem with lounge access or checked luggage (the light fare equivalent was not bookable via AA). AY simply does not honor the free seat reservation element of the AA-fare.

Given AYs C-class set-up, in retrospect there is really no point to pay 150 for a specific seat. Wonder if there are any takers.
Old Aug 18, 22, 8:16 pm

Location: The part of NC where we have electricity, paved roads, and high school diplomas.
I have traveled on AY using AA-issued tickets several times, and have never had an issue getting a seat reserved for free shortly after booking. So a ticket being issued by AA doesn’t automatically mean it’ll cost money to reserve a C class seat ahead of time.

Last edited by WindowSeatFlyer; Aug 19, 22 at 6:46 am
Old Aug 18, 22, 10:04 pm

Programs: AY+, SK EB
The seat reservation fee is likely because the fare code translates into a Business Light fare on Finnair, not simply because it was booked as an AA codeshare and the ticket issued by AA.
The standard fare (i.e. Classic) does not include seat reservation either. Only the most expensive Flex fare does.
WindowSeatFlyer likes this.
Old Aug 18, 22, 11:54 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by vfw614 View Post
Given AY‘s C-class set-up, in retrospect there is really no point to pay 150 € for a specific seat. Wonder if there are any takers.
I would say there aren't. Seat maps often look quite empty before OLCI opens, but you end up taking off in a full J cabin.
Old Aug 19, 22, 12:19 am
Original Poster

I have traveled on AY using AA-issued tickets several times, and have never had an issue getting a seat reserved for free ahead of flying. So a ticket being issued by AA doesnt automatically mean itll cost money to reserve a C class seat ahead of time.
Yes, you can make a free seat reservation during OLCI. My question was about advance seat reservation when making the booking.
Old Aug 19, 22, 12:25 am

Programs: SPG-P ALL/HH/IHG-D RR/NCH-G, BA/A3-G AF/ay-P, Octopus
Yes, you can make a free seat reservation during OLCI. My question was about advance seat reservation when making the booking.
What's your status with AA? If Plat or above you should get free seats.
Old Aug 19, 22, 6:46 am

I have reserved AY seats shortly after booking, long before OLCI opens.
Your precious post insinuated that people have to pay for AY seat allocations for all trips ticketed by AA. That is simply not true. Perhaps you should stop blaming AA for AY’s policies…
Old Aug 19, 22, 6:50 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
Agreed, I was able to easily select AY seats on an AA codeshare. Selected premium seats on both legs (LHR-HEL and HEL-ORD) at no additional charge. Obviously will be checking to see if this sticks (and/or any fee pops-up).
Old Aug 19, 22, 9:04 am
Original Poster

I have reserved AY seats shortly after booking, long before OLCI opens.
Your precious post insinuated that people have to pay for AY seat allocations for all trips ticketed by AA. That is simply not true. Perhaps you should stop blaming AA for AY’s policies…
Well, I was only quoting what two Finnair agents told me which I contacted because I was unable to make seat reservations online. Long story short: Finnair metal, therefore no free seat reservation with an AA-ticket as you generally have to pay for seat reservation on Finnair (except in Business Flex, if I am not mistaken). This simply is the "operating carrier rules apply" thing and nothing extraordinary. When I mentioned that others were apparently able to make seat reservations, they simply told me to take my complaint to AA and bugger off. Maybe different if you hold a certain status with oneworld, but this then has nothing to do with AA opb AY or the ticket you hold, but simply with your status.
Old Aug 19, 22, 9:22 am

Well, I was only quoting what two Finnair agents told me which I contacted because I was unable to make seat reservations online. Long story short: Finnair metal, therefore no free seat reservation with an AA-ticket as you generally have to pay for seat reservation on Finnair (except in Business Flex, if I am not mistaken). This simply is the "operating carrier rules apply" thing and nothing extraordinary. When I mentioned that others were apparently able to make seat reservations, they simply told me to take my complaint to AA and bugger off. Maybe different if you hold a certain status with oneworld, but this then has nothing to do with AA opb AY or the ticket you hold, but simply with your status.
So, AY’s seat selection policies, and has nothing to do with AA issuing the ticket. You would likely run into the same situation if BA or IB issued a ticket with AY flights in the same booking class, so this is not AA-specific. If you purchased a ticket from AA and it included AY flights booked in Business Flex, you would be able to reserve your seat free of charge.
Why are you writing things like “free seat reservation with an AA-issued ticket was not possible,” implying the problem lies with the ticket being issued by AA when it is AY that prevents you from reserving a seat for free?

Last edited by WindowSeatFlyer; Aug 19, 22 at 6:13 pm
Old Aug 19, 22, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

There is absolutely no need to be rude. I was asking a simple question (and unlike in most cases when questions are asked here, reporting back on the outcome) because there is conflicting information on the internet about the issue I was interested in despite the "operating carrier rules apply" mantra. This was discussed in a totally civilized manner until you decided to get personal.
ffay005 likes this.
Old Aug 19, 22, 5:58 pm

It was “totally civilized” until you concluded that your inability to select a seat for free was caused by the ticket being issued by AA, not by AY’s policies for the ticket class you booked.
free seat reservation with an AA-issued ticket was not possible.
I’m sorry you think it’s “rude” to have someone correct your incorrect claims.

Last edited by WindowSeatFlyer; Aug 19, 22 at 6:19 pm

Search this Thread