Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Trip report (höpö-warning): AY bus service TKU-HEL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2022, 3:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY, SK, TK

So, time for todays fun.
Not sure I am the first flyertalker with this service but looks like the first to report.

Lets go!

Please mods, dont move this thread to Trip report forums yet, let the fun fly here for few days and then its good to go any dumpyard
NoWindowSeat, vulle, TTL and 10 others like this.
Old May 11, 2022, 3:57 am
Original Poster

Dumb idea

So with the now expired great AY 30% off awards I decided to book a trip to LHR.

One reason was to meet an important person at non-schengen lounge. Another reason to burn some points now with discount.
And the most inportant reason ofc was to get flying after a couple of weeks at home, legs starting to tick tick tick…

Okay, there is also something in London to see too, and as it is served by widebodies, lazy as I am, I want a proper seat for 3+ hours flights nowadays, so I chose LHR.
Venezuela-Miami likes this.
Old May 11, 2022, 4:03 am
Original Poster

Booking

Well, it turned out my contact wanted to meet a tad early due to his schedules, so I couldnt take the afternoon widebody service to LHR, but had to book the evening A319 machine. Oh well, exit row is doable and hopefully I can offer some nice neighbour a refreshment onboard

For the inbound return I did get the morning widebody but only in X. J revenue was available so I decided to book X and hope for upgrade. Voucher was applied, waitlisted. Cleared at 37-hours somethingabouts, yippee.

But now, lets go to the experience!
Old May 11, 2022, 4:12 am
Original Poster

Check-in

XTZ sounds like extra size, but stands for Turku city bus station. Unsure if I should book TKU airport or XTZ as starting point, I chose the latter as I live closer to city. The only worry was what would happen by IRROPS: reckon if TKU was the point, AY would offer a lowly Lumo a taxi. But if XTZ, then they would put me perhaps on an Onnibus…

Whatever, I first thought I would start from HEL directly, but then saw the price was negligible with added XTZ connection so I took it however.

Day for checkin: got this. TKU departs 12:25 from where the bus goes through XTZ. Bag drop 12:10, okay where? To Aura river my …😄😄
Old May 11, 2022, 4:18 am
Original Poster

Boarding pass

Yikes, no seat selection for the Bus sector!
but boarding group 1 saves me? What if all window seats are taken already by those who boarded at TKU before me, and I am sat with an obese smelly sailor from Rauma whose accent is unreadable? what is I am late from boarding 12:45?
Panic builds in a little…
Old May 11, 2022, 4:26 am
Original Poster

XTZ lounge

To relieve the panic, I decide to go early to the ”airport” station to make sure my elbows find me to group 1 boarding, and if a lounge is open.

Score! The old busstation was closed for about 2 years since covid & plummeted bus service levels, but reopened last fall. It is a nice old build(in the eyes of the beholder if you are into architecture), and what a nice refurbishment! R-kioski, soon to open Burger Company, and the pic may tell then about the lounge & offerings.

Lounge verdict: XTZ vs HEL 3-1 (guess where the points come from)

vulle, SPBanker and intuition like this.
Old May 11, 2022, 4:28 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Tell the captain to turn on the transponder, you’re now flying in stealth mode!
vulle, TTL and FFlash like this.
Old May 11, 2022, 4:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat
Tell the captain to turn on the transponder, you’re now flying in stealth mode!
This is another sustainable side of the bus travel: hiding from wife where I am going
Venezuela-Miami and intuition like this.
Old May 11, 2022, 4:39 am
Original Poster

Boarding

So at 12:40 I decide to leave lounge and go out to look where I find the bus. There it is in front already! A clean Korsisaari-operated bus with good signposting👍
And a handsome chap outside. I ask him how he was that fast. No traffic midday, and only 2 pax boarded from TKU, ”so we can go now as nobody else is coming”
Great, we departed 12:45 instead of 12:55 schedule. I start to like this bus thing😲
Palal likes this.
Old May 11, 2022, 4:44 am
Original Poster

Data points about booking&boarding:

Driver said, when I asked, it doesnt matter if you book XTZ or TKU. He is instructed so. He keeps the schedule and doesnt wait if no-show at TKU and boarding at XTZ instead, or vice versa. This is great info. We can freely choose XTZ or TKU what suits best and then board any of those what suits best👍
Now he only looked at my mobile app, but said later they will get QR-code scanners.

EDIT: asked the driver now, he sends all boarded pax info to somewhere at AY, so I recommend not to skip the bus if someone thinks about that for some reason.
Also, on HEL end, bus will wait max 1 hour for connecting pax to Turku if late arrivals.

Last edited by FFlash; May 11, 2022 at 4:50 am
Old May 11, 2022, 4:54 am
Original Poster

THE Sustainability

So, cabin looks clean and nice. But empty!

Only 3 pax total.
Sustainable.
Biodiesel in the tank? Not verified.
Roadworks here and there, hence lower speed on highway today. Good. Makes it more sustainable driving.

intuition likes this.
Old May 11, 2022, 4:58 am
Original Poster

Premium Economy

Instead of back 58Ö badboys row, I choose 33C.

Seat is premium economy for sure. Better recline, AND, sideways recline in case that obese smelly sailor from Rauma appears! Good for social distancing. We need that in Turku, where best neighbour is the furthest away neighbour and most silent.

vulle likes this.
Old May 11, 2022, 5:02 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
150 or so kilometers. Naah... depending on the flight activity.

Luckily KUO is returning slowly to the what it used to be - 4 daily frequencies those are adjoined with EU.
FFlash likes this.
Old May 11, 2022, 5:08 am
Original Poster

Hard Product Verdict

What is again one more improvement is free e-charging plugs vs ATRs😁
My seat has only USB 5V, while row ahead has also ”ydinvoimaa seinästä”
Legroom is better than ATR.
Also lavatory is found.

Now, I conclude that Bus wins over ATR hard product-wise.
Travel speedwise not.

Old May 11, 2022, 5:15 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
A vs C - a horrific battle. Now we must have A to C plug-in converters everywhere. It is even rumored that iPhone 14 should have C!!! And reduce that need.

Another (and most likely most sane) alternative is to move to live in KUO!
Palal and FFlash like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.