Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

How many Bus class willing to pay seat reservation fee?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How many Bus class willing to pay seat reservation fee?

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2022, 10:14 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by eddibabyyeah
Business class 'R' ticket type from MAN-HEL-BKK. Meaning that I have to pay for seat selection.
Hi Paul,

R is not ticket type, it's booking class. Check your confirmation for ticket type. Light, Classic of Flex.
Old May 8, 2022, 10:40 am

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
Originally Posted by ffay005
I am okay with it if it means cheaper fares.
This is what they pretend to do, in reality you got less for the buck, and if you want all of the perks you pay a huge prime.

Unbundling is fair to a certain extend, but only if the base of the price stay the same, which isn t the way at all with plane tickets. A business light ticket to BKK can be anything between 990€ and 1999€. And in the end what is the definition of "business class" is it just a roomier seat? Not from my perspective. Business class to me means, I don t really need to care about the details, and it s comfy wherever its possible.

Last edited by Ed Size; May 8, 2022 at 10:46 am
Old May 8, 2022, 11:27 am

Programs: HH Diamond, EY Gold, AY Silver, MR Plat
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
Hi Paul,

R is not ticket type, it's booking class. Check your confirmation for ticket type. Light, Classic of Flex.
Apologies. Its classic ticket type
Old May 8, 2022, 11:52 am

Apologies. Its classic ticket type
Ok.

Business Classic: Standard or preferred seat for purchase.
Old May 8, 2022, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Unbundling J is not a AY-only phenomenon. I believe BA charges for all J seat assignments. Even the ME3 unbundle J to some extent.

I am okay with it if it means cheaper fares. I get all the perks based on my status anyway, so the only difference is 150% points instead of 200%. However, I rarely check a bag, even for two-week trips.

However, the way AY implemented this means that the fares are not lower than before but a lot of things are not included. That of course includes decent food, too. Even on flex.
The difference with BA was that in a standard row of 8 business class seats in the ying yang configuration, only 2 seats are good seats, the rest are not really desirable. So there was more reason to try to protect them for the late booking high revenue passengers.
mpkz likes this.
Old May 9, 2022, 1:17 am

Thanks for the reply.

So, you are saying that when I checkin online I will be assigned a seat and if I choose something different, there will be a cost?
Old May 9, 2022, 1:19 am

Ok.

Business Classic: Standard or preferred seat for purchase.

Thanks for the reply.

So, you are saying that when I checkin online I will be assigned a seat and if I choose something different, there will be a cost?
Old May 9, 2022, 1:33 am

Programs: AY
When checking in online, you can choose whatever seat is still available for free.

...like miamiflyer8 already said yesterday on post #15
Old May 9, 2022, 5:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by intuition
In J seats should more or less be the same. All seats are aisle seats with easy access. Difference in boarding/deplaning times is small between seats. So in general I'd guess there is very little will to pay extra to select seat. So the unbundling in J will not create much extra revenue for AY (et.al), but it will create ill will towards the airline because it just seems petty.
The extra revenue probably comes up from showing up higher in search results
Old May 11, 2022, 8:06 am

For years BA have used the argument that charging for business class seats allows their frequent flyers to have a better choice of seats when booking at short notice, just as Finnair argue now. That said, if you are willing to pay for a seat you can have it and it demonstrates that the whole thing about frequent flyers having more choice is nonsense and really this is just an opportunity to bring in more revenue if anyone is willing to pay. I can see why it's wise to unbundle economy seats but I detest it being done in business class and more often now, I look to carriers that don't do it and still offer the comprehensive package at the baseline price.
weero likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 5:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
You can choose any remaining J seat for free during OLCI.
Using this old thread, in an unfamiliar issue for an OWE who is used to free seat selection always.

A statusless family member, flying tomorrow EU-HEL-Asia in AY J. Currently less than 24 hrs before the feeder flight, less than 36 hrs before the long haul. OLCI still asks for 150€ to change from AY-defined to any of the remaining free seats on the long haul. Can this really be so??
Old Apr 3, 2024, 6:12 am

Originally Posted by timol
Can this really be so??
Yep.

We made changes to the seat selection practices on 1 June 2023. When you have a Superlight, Light, or Classic ticket, you can choose your favorite seat for your flight by purchasing it in advance, or otherwise let us choose a seat for you. This means complimentary seat selection is not available during check-in for these ticket types as of 1 June, regardless of the ticket purchase date. With Flex tickets, you can select standard and preferred seats complimentarily also before check-in.
https://www.finnair.com/fi-en/bluewi...works--2691116
Old Apr 3, 2024, 6:19 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
I would ask at the check-in desk at the airport.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 6:30 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
Yep.
I would ask at the check-in desk at the airport.
Argh. But many thanks for the info!
ffay005 likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
I try to avoid AY J as much as I can, but if I have no choice and they offer the most convenient schedule, even on low Business Class tickets, whenever I book through AMEX, they are actually able to pre-assign me seats without paying any fees.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.