Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Impact of Russian airspace closure on Finnair

Impact of Russian airspace closure on Finnair

Old Jun 19, 22, 8:02 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
We've been through HNL so many times. Wouldn't this be the right moment for AY to try it out?

AY would operate the only nonstop flight from Europe to Hawaii. I am sure they could fill the planes, also in J, and charge good prices. A few months ago, hotels in Hawaii were incredibly expensive, though, because there was so much US Domestic demand. Is that still the case?

But would there be any cargo demand to/from HNL? That is an important factor to consider.
TapioR and intuition like this.
Old Jun 19, 22, 8:37 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac King of Coffee, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by ffay005 View Post
A few months ago, hotels in Hawaii were incredibly expensive, though, because there was so much US Domestic demand. Is that still the case?
Oh yes. Hotels in HNL are about $250+ a night and flights from ATL start at $1300 r/t. Want the non-stop ATL-HNL? It'll set you back $1900, in Y.
ffay005 likes this.
Old Jun 19, 22, 9:04 am

While I'm of course not a friend of high prices, I have to say that if AY can get away with prices like these, then by all means, keep them high. AY needs all the cash they can get and if people are willing to pay, then there's nothing wrong in asking.
Thinking about it. Yes AY will get away with prices like this at least on routes with no other option. VAA among others is operating with roughly - 50% of pre-covid capacity and SK out of the picture atm. Those seats available will be sold when business/commuting/leisure is picking up. One can say it would be stupid of AY selling seats under possible market price.
Old Jun 19, 22, 10:41 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, HH Diamond
Very popular nowadays to travel HEL-MUC via DUB, and get ripped off in the process. 03JUL22. But indeed, some kind of a network wide increased baseline pricing mode has been activated now.

Old Jun 19, 22, 10:55 am

Programs: BAEC
We've been through HNL so many times. Wouldn't this be the right moment for AY to try it out?

AY would operate the only nonstop flight from Europe to Hawaii. I am sure they could fill the planes, also in J, and charge good prices. A few months ago, hotels in Hawaii were incredibly expensive, though, because there was so much US Domestic demand. Is that still the case?

But would there be any cargo demand to/from HNL? That is an important factor to consider.
But if no other European airline can make it work, why would Finnair, and why now?
r2d2 and esledo like this.
Old Jun 19, 22, 11:43 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by zxcv1 View Post
Very popular nowadays to travel HEL-MUC via DUB, and get ripped off in the process.
Ticket type Classic is always marked as popular.
Funnily I‘d buy this for Light or Flex, but not for Classic.
03JUL22. But indeed, some kind of a network wide increased baseline pricing mode has been activated now.
I noticed too. Quite some bump especially on SH, even during the low season this year.
Old Jun 19, 22, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by BAeuro View Post
But if no other European airline can make it work, why would Finnair, and why now?
I believe it's sort of a 'now or never' situation.

Firstly, all of Europe is suddenly travelling like there's no tomorrow. That means that most airlines suffer from a shortage of planes. AY doesn't – they have a surplus of planes because their main strategy is in ruins. China is closed, Japan is closed, Russian airspace is closed. I am sure it would be more profitable to send those widebodies once a day to PVG or NRT in normal times, but right now that is not an option. So to send them to HNL 0.75 times a day might be one of the best uses for them in the current situation.

Secondly, no European carrier has ever attempted a nonstop flight to Hawaii so we don't really know how much business it would attract. With good connections at HEL, AY would have hundreds of millions of potential customers.

Thirdly, with the prices quoted by Miamiflyer8, with the current competition of one-stop connections on the US mainland, I believe AY could set prices high enough for the upcoming winter season. Could be that this route would be just a one-season specialty, though.
Old Jun 19, 22, 1:27 pm

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by seldomrfly View Post
I heard it was intentional. Prices were rised on friday. I'm looking at VAA-LHR. Cheapest I find in 2022 is 419€. 🤢
[…]
Well, this will surely kill off the current demand.
If you have some flexibility and some points, it‘s a good time to use them. 68,52€ for taxes and fees plus the regular 30k for a Y award on your route.

VAA - LHR 68,52€ + 30k AY+ points
seldomrfly likes this.
Old Jun 19, 22, 11:25 pm
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/IHG/VISA Plat, Melia/Bonvoy/Radisson Gold, PP Prest, BT Vip
Maldives and Seychelles !!!
Old Jun 20, 22, 1:41 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Gold, Scandic L2
Originally Posted by TTL View Post
Those destinations make no sense from geographical standpoint. I can't see Finnair beating the ME3 to those destinations. And Finnair probably has no landing rights even.

In fact those are some of the few destinations that Finnair markets with purely QR metal.
Old Jun 20, 22, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Somewhat surprisingly, the shortest way from Europe to HNL (except KEF)

HEL HNL 003° (N) 353° (N) 6,806 mi
STO HNL 356° (N) 349° (N) 6,871 mi
OSL HNL 350° (N) 345° (N) 6,782 mi
LHR HNL 338° (N) 338° (N) 7,237 mi
AMS HNL 343° (N) 341° (N) 7,256 mi
FRA HNL 347° (N) 344° (N) 7,450 mi
Old Jun 20, 22, 3:40 am

Originally Posted by TTL View Post
Maldives would have made sense for winter 2020/21 as an Aurinkomatkat destination. Nothing more covid-safe than taking a planeload of tested Finns into a secluded island resort with no other guests. But no. Finns stayed at home. Ditto for winter 2021/22.

Except for Ffay005, who travelled the world like crazy and experienced tourist-free megacities and rockbottom-priced five-star hotels.
intuition and FFlash like this.
Old Jun 20, 22, 8:09 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)

Well... Finns do love their pineapple
ffay005, TapioR, FFlash and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 20, 22, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Except for Ffay005, who travelled the world like crazy and experienced tourist-free megacities and rockbottom-priced five-star hotels.
Good for you!
Whish it was me though
ffay005 likes this.
Old Jun 20, 22, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by Steve_Hun View Post
Well... Finns do love their pineapple
It seems Hawaii main exports are aircraft parts, aluminium, copper and steel scraps.
Sound almost dangerous to bring an full aircraft there, perhaps in the morning it is gone and gets chopped up into export items!
ffay005, cistavoda and Steve_Hun like this.

Search this Thread