Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Impact of Russian airspace closure on Finnair

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Impact of Russian airspace closure on Finnair

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2022, 11:07 pm

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, SK Gold
Originally Posted by tulokas
Why aren’t they doing this already? Or are they?
With the ARN long-hauls they are. They fly to destinations which have demand as such, but have also major AA operations
Old Jun 11, 2022, 11:18 pm

Programs: AY+
Originally Posted by r2d2
With the ARN long-hauls they are. They fly to destinations which have demand as such, but have also major AA operations
ARN long hauls yes, but does AA/AS offer connections?
Old Jun 12, 2022, 12:51 am

Programs: AY+ Gold
For personal reasons, I'd hope they'd find a way to manage to run MIA year-round. AA hub with excellent connections to the Caribbean, Central and South America so perhaps with proper marketing it could be done.
r2d2, renila, ffay005 and 4 others like this.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 1:34 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by petteriusa
For personal reasons, I'd hope they'd find a way to manage to run MIA year-round. AA hub with excellent connections to the Caribbean, Central and South America so perhaps with proper marketing it could be done.
+1. not for Miami itself but what is south of it.
r2d2, petteriusa, Ukki and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 1:59 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, SK Gold
Originally Posted by tulokas
ARN long hauls yes, but does AA/AS offer connections?
At JFK and LAX AA, in LAX also AS, are big enough that there will be connections any time of the day.

I've envied when looking at AA departures in MIA and the huge number of destinations in the areas you mentioned. However for many of the destinations they only have flights in the morning or early afternoon out of MIA, which wouldn't work well with connections from Europe.
renila likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 2:51 am

Programs: AY+ Gold
Originally Posted by r2d2
At JFK and LAX AA, in LAX also AS, are big enough that there will be connections any time of the day.

I've envied when looking at AA departures in MIA and the huge number of destinations in the areas you mentioned. However for many of the destinations they only have flights in the morning or early afternoon out of MIA, which wouldn't work well with connections from Europe.
If they could manage to flip the schedule and run a very early AM departure out of HEL and a daytime return from MIA that might work. Clearly, it's not that simple, but desperate times call for desperate measures I suppose.
r2d2 likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 5:14 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
I'd love it as well, but connections will be impractical for those without Global Entry, I don't know how I used to live without it...
NoWindowSeat and petteriusa like this.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by Cambo
For the bling-bling ME3, getting kicked out of the aircraft in the middle of the night, having a mediocre bling-bling lounge, the size of a stadium <snip OMNI stuff>.
Despite a couple of recent BKK-EDI returns with AY in J, I can definitely see me going back to the ME airlines once post covid service is fully resumed. The product is a step up from Finnair and the break half way is much more welcome than one a couple of hours into the flight or with just a couple of hours to go, for me anyway. Finnair can only ever win on price, and everyone's prices are nuts at the moment.
ffay005 likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Cambo
TBH: When all other things are equal, I prefer to have flights taking 12+ hours, vs. 8 hours or even worse 2x 6 hours (and kicked out of the aircraft in the middle of the night). Even when a AY flight would cost some EUR 200 more than a shorter one, the AY would be my preference. Granted, I fly J class, so for economy, this balance would be different.

And, yep, I booked AY, when the flight time EU-Asia was much shorter, though at that moment, AY was the only (OW) option available, due to Covid-19 restrictions (and a little later, I had to move my flight forward some 9 months anyway).

For the bling-bling ME3, getting kicked out of the aircraft in the middle of the night, having a mediocre bling-bling lounge, the size of a stadium, being served by people who live/work in slave-labor conditions, it's never going to be my party, both for practical and Humane considerations.
I am not exactly a fan of the working conditions for ancillary workers for the ME3, I do feel bad for the ramp staff huddling under the shade cast by the wings when you arrive in 40+ degree and burning sun. Flight crews and flight attendants are not bad off, the really hard conditions are on the teams you don't see unless you look very carefully.

All that being said, my trips back and forth to Europe in 2020 and most of 2021 was just not possible on European airlines. It was fine if you were going to one of the hubs, but trying to connect to Copenhagen was a nightmare. Once my option to go via Helsinki would have been to book a separate ticket SK flight at between 6am and 7am to catch the afternoon departure to Tokyo. And then let's not talk about the absurd prices charged out of Japan by European and Japanese airlines, economy class frequently between 300,000 and 400,000 yen, and then adding at least one separate ticket to be able to get to Copenhagen.

Qatar Airways was just reliability itself in that period, and usually J priced just below 300,000 yen. I did check with European and Japanese airlines every time, but they were clearly not interested in my business.

(let's not get in to what the EU airlines served to their passengers in 2020 and 2021)

The Qatar Airways timing from Tokyo apart from the detour works quite well. But with the current detour around Russia not that much of a difference right now. And the pricing is still absurd on the non middle east carriers.
zxcv1 likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by ft101
Despite a couple of recent BKK-EDI returns with AY in J, I can definitely see me going back to the ME airlines once post covid service is fully resumed. The product is a step up from Finnair and the break half way is much more welcome than one a couple of hours into the flight or with just a couple of hours to go, for me anyway. Finnair can only ever win on price, and everyone's prices are nuts at the moment.
It's a question of preference. On 6+6 hrs you can't get a decent sleep. On my recent BKK-HEL I had a 9 hrs sleep.

In Y 6+6 hrs is definitely better than 2+11 hrs.

Having said that, ex-EDI the ME3 might actually be a better option these days.
zxcv1 likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
It's a question of preference. On 6+6 hrs you can't get a decent sleep. On my recent BKK-HEL I had a 9 hrs sleep.

In Y 6+6 hrs is definitely better than 2+11 hrs.

Having said that, ex-EDI the ME3 might actually be a better option these days.
I'm lucky in that I can sleep almost anywhere at any time!

QR are the only ME option currently from EDI, but I've got some points to burn with them so I might be back on them sooner rather than later.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by DonnyJohn
Anyone know why Iran airspace is closed to AY? Looks like there will be a extra hour added to my AY144 flight
Looks to be fixed now. 3 days where AY144 took about an hour longer. AY143 went to the north of Iran and wasn't so badly affected.
r2d2 likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 1:53 pm

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), TK Elite (*G), BT VIP, HH D, BW DS
Shrinking ahead says Mr. Manner, as expected.

https://www.reuters.com/business/aer...rg-2022-06-10/
FFlash likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 2:07 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by SuloL
Shrinking ahead says Mr. Manner, as expected.

https://www.reuters.com/business/aer...rg-2022-06-10/
to become a karjakaravaani as expected. Sorry but what can we do
Old Jun 14, 2022, 2:16 pm

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by ft101
Looks to be fixed now..
What is fixed and where?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.