Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Impact of Russian airspace closure on Finnair

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Impact of Russian airspace closure on Finnair

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2022, 11:19 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
On22zz is right. However, AY doesn’t give a rodent’s behind about EC261. They will make up any rules they like, and there’s very little you can do to make them change their mind, unfortunately.

Your best bet would be to press them to give you seats on the flight to NRT. No availability in X/U is needed. Try a new agent.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 12:15 pm

Programs: AY LUMO
On the new route:

ffay005 and intuition like this.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 12:20 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP

Route details.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
So the (twice) daily trains from St Petersburg to Helsinki are only available to people from Finland or Russia? They seem full as is -- in the direction of Helsinki -- but given the airspace closure and increased demand to take the train, will VR(+RR) up it to at least three per day soon? I would assume that a bunch of those train passengers may be in the market to fly AY. Is there some kind of AY+VR cooperation?
VR/RZD between St. Petersburg and Helsinki can only be used by Finnish and Russian citizens. I read somewhere about a bus between St. Petersburg and Lappeenranta which citizens of other countries tried to use, possibly here (now between a paywall).

Most trains between Russia and the EU are cancelled. Isn't the train between St. Petersburg and Helsinki in fact the only train line between Russia and the EU which is currently operating?

It might be possible to walk across the border between Ivangorod in Russia and Narva and Estonia. Trains and flights seem to be operating between Russia and Belarus, so it might also be possible to walk across the border between Brest in Belarus and Terespol in Poland. You'll have to look up entry rules for all routes and then hopefully find that you can use at least one route.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 12:50 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by florens
1983 all over again...
Old Mar 9, 2022, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by ffay005
1983 all over again...
Wish I were that young again...
ffay005, the810 and intuition like this.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 8:05 pm

Programs: Onko teillä S-etukorttia?
Are they giving out diplomas for flying the North Pole to NRT like in the 80’s?
Steve_Hun likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 11:47 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
I say things are a bit more complicated than in the 80's. Apparently there is a NOTAM regarding GPS anomalies around Kaliningrad. And Savonlinna can't land planes at all.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 12:06 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by intuition
I say things are a bit more complicated than in the 80's. Apparently there is a NOTAM regarding GPS anomalies around Kaliningrad. And Savonlinna can't land planes at all.
Finnish Air forces dont need NOTAMs for anything, they know what they are doing
Old Mar 10, 2022, 12:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Should they bring back LORAN?
Old Mar 10, 2022, 2:25 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Heard about that yesterday. Had me thinking about this: "What do you mean, I have to find the place without GPS and Google Maps?!?!? Impossible!".

Even with GPS anomalies, planes can still be navigated.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 2:46 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Yeah, they can navigate, but it is indicative these disruptions occurs. Mordor has a history of disrupting and spoofing signals, including GLONASS.

And yes, it seems they are themselves using Loran as in the ancient Chayka based on LORAN-C from 1957. The internetz says they also have a newer hush-hush Loran implementation called skorpion
Old Mar 10, 2022, 3:34 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Whether it's solar-emitted electromagnetic radiation or deliberate signal jamming causing the GPS disruptions, there was some mention of GPS disruption taking place around some parts of Finland's eastern borders too.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 4:32 am
Moderator, Finnair

Yeah, that would be Nyslott (Savonlinna).

As for solar emitted disruption or other causes, Marin said Finland had no indications of the origin, but promised to disclose any findings.
I read Norway experienced similar issues where rescue missions in the north east had been mislead.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 6:46 am

Programs: AY
Guys I need some advise, its just a guessing game. But I'm in HKG and booked on Finnair June 10th to ARN and then back on July 16th. Due to quarantine hotel booking Im quite keen to make sure I have a decent flight on July 16th at least (need to arrive July 17th back to HKG). What's the probability Finnair will run these flights?

I have the opportunity to snatch Cathay flights HKG - FRA on same dates using AsiaMiles in Premium Economy, should I double book and assume Finnair is gonner before the Asia miles tickets are a gonner too?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.