Help! Missed Connection

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2022, 1:58 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Oh, time flies. Was it rwally 2014 the mandraskim and 2015 citro? Wow
Old Mar 8, 2022, 2:24 am

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
Originally Posted by LondonElite
To be clear, it is entirely possible that someone arriving initially from outside Schengen (ie no green stripes on luggage tag) is stopped by customs when exiting through the green lane, as part of a random or indeed targeted check. I see this all the time.
In Germany customs even ask you for a receipt of your lap top, and if you can t show it you either have to pay taxes or a deposit. This is what can happen when they check you. QWERTY lap tops are more dangerous in this game.
Old Mar 8, 2022, 7:37 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Steve_Hun
Should that be the case, duvin , you can have some fun here
Thanks for bringing that gem up, had a good laugh re-reading some of it 😂😂

Originally Posted by FFlash
Oh, time flies. Was it rwally 2014 the mandraskim and 2015 citro? Wow
I feel old now that you mention this!
FFlash and Steve_Hun like this.
Old Mar 8, 2022, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite
To be clear, it is entirely possible that someone arriving initially from outside Schengen (ie no green stripes on luggage tag) is stopped by customs when exiting through the green lane, as part of a random or indeed targeted check. I see this all the time.
They can also stop people with green stripes if they're looking for illegal drugs.

Originally Posted by Ed Size
In Germany customs even ask you for a receipt of your lap top, and if you can t show it you either have to pay taxes or a deposit. This is what can happen when they check you. QWERTY lap tops are more dangerous in this game.
So German customs specifically targets Finnish/Swedish laptops with QWERTY keyboards? Do they look for the Ĺ key and assume that it was bought in Ĺland?
Steve_Hun likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2022, 3:18 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by Im a new user
They can also stop people with green stripes if they're looking for illegal drugs.

So German customs specifically targets Finnish/Swedish laptops with QWERTY keyboards? Do they look for the Ĺ key and assume that it was bought in Ĺland?
Silly as it is, I have been asked the serial number of my laptop several times in Germany and China, often in Brazil too. Dont recall if anywhere else.
Old Mar 8, 2022, 3:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Maybe I’ve just been lucky, but in over 1,000 arrivals at German airports from outside Schengen, no one has ever asked for my laptop.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 5:19 am

Programs: HH Diamond, EY Gold, AY Silver, MR Plat
Originally Posted by chelseastu
Hi
My wife is travelling from BKK to LHR via HEL in Biz.
Her depature from Bangkok was delayed by 2 hours which means she has missed her connection to London.
The airline has put her on tomorrow mornings flight but they won't give her a room for the night as she isn't allowed to leave the airport
They've given her 25 euros voucher but told her she has to sleep in the airport.
I've told her the lounge should be open until 12am but I would of thought the airline has to give her accommodation irrespetive of Schengen ?
I presume I can claim compensation for delays of over 6 hours?
Is there anything she can do ?
TIA
Just going thru a similar situation with my wife at the moment who is stuck in transit in HEL for 24hrs, as she doesnt have a valid schengen visa

My wife was flying MAN-HEL-BKK last night. Due to poor baggage loading at MAN, the flight departed more than 3 hours late, which resulted in a missed connection in HEL to BKK. She was then stuck in transit in HEL with nobody to speak to, as everyone had gone home and the transit services was closed. Even if she had a visa, there was nobody from FINNAIR to arrange a hotel.

When Transit services opened at 5AM, they gave her and my son 7 euros each for food. Seven entire euros for 24 hours in Helsinki to buy food and drink. She could only afford water, crisps and a bar of chocolate with that money. She also had to buy two blankets for 24 euros each to keep warm. Obviously she bought more food and drink with her own cash and I hope they will reimburse her. While I understand that these things happen (certainly at the moment with MAN), they should at least have someone on duty when people disembark and miss the connection to offer assistance.

My take away from my wife's experience is to never transit through an airport that only has one flight per day to your destination if you don't have a visa to enter the country.
remymartin likes this.

Last edited by eddibabyyeah; Aug 1, 2022 at 6:59 am
Old Oct 9, 2022, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Emirates Gold
Originally Posted by eddibabyyeah
Just going thru a similar situation with my wife at the moment who is stuck in transit in HEL for 24hrs, as she doesnt have a valid schengen visa

My wife was flying MAN-HEL-BKK last night. Due to poor baggage loading at MAN, the flight departed more than 3 hours late, which resulted in a missed connection in HEL to BKK. She was then stuck in transit in HEL with nobody to speak to, as everyone had gone home and the transit services was closed. Even if she had a visa, there was nobody from FINNAIR to arrange a hotel.

When Transit services opened at 5AM, they gave her and my son 7 euros each for food. Seven entire euros for 24 hours in Helsinki to buy food and drink. She could only afford water, crisps and a bar of chocolate with that money. She also had to buy two blankets for 24 euros each to keep warm. Obviously she bought more food and drink with her own cash and I hope they will reimburse her. While I understand that these things happen (certainly at the moment with MAN), they should at least have someone on duty when people disembark and miss the connection to offer assistance.

My take away from my wife's experience is to never transit through an airport that only has one flight per day to your destination if you don't have a visa to enter the country.
Sorry to hear that. They should rename from HEL to HELL !!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.