Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help! Missed Connection

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2022, 9:20 am

Flying the same route in a week's time. Flight is going arrive in HEL 4 hours later than originally planned. Connection to LHR is going to be missed, forcing an overnight stay. What can one do in case of holding an Economy Light ticket here? Possible to get a refund and not fly? (AY has not informed me of new schedule yet)

Last edited by 77Wer; Mar 1, 2022 at 9:22 am Reason: more info
Old Mar 1, 2022, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
I'd contact AY and ask for options
Old Mar 1, 2022, 1:11 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by chelseastu
...its the fact that she has been dumped in a releatively cold airport (for her)....
I have to admit that this raised my eyebrows a little, but today, arriving from IST and walking to passport control in my short-sleeved shirt, I noticed that the airport is indeed remarkably cold. Is Finavia saving money by not heating up the terminal properly?
chelseastu likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 1:16 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by ffay005
I have to admit that this raised my eyebrows a little, but today, arriving from IST and walking to passport control in my short-sleeved shirt, I noticed that the airport is indeed remarkably cold. Is Finavia saving money by not heating up the terminal properly?
I don't mind to be honest. In fact, it's a good thing. Airports and other indoor rooms are usually too warm. One may have to hurry to a gate, walking at a fast pace, with luggage etc. I'm always hot and sweating, therefore cold indoors are actually a good thing.

People who usually feel cold should just have a layered clothing concept and bring extra clothes to stay warm. However, not much I can do when the temperature is warm and I'm sweating wearing only a t-shirt... In fact, I found it too warm yesterday at HEL...
Helsinki Flyer and Teppo like this.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 1:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by florens
I don't think EU261 compo is due as the long flight time is due to unforeseen circumstances.

Duty of care still applies, of course.
Right, I agree, but what is AY to do if there is no facility to procure food and no hotel airside?
Old Mar 1, 2022, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Right, I agree, but what is AY to do if there is no facility to procure food and no hotel airside?
The hotel is tricky, but food shouldn't be a problem. They can provide it in their lounges or directly in the terminal. If they can bring food carts from Finnair Kitchen to the planes, why not to the terminal itself?
Old Mar 1, 2022, 1:38 pm

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Originally Posted by 77Wer
Flying the same route in a week's time. Flight is going arrive in HEL 4 hours later than originally planned. Connection to LHR is going to be missed, forcing an overnight stay. What can one do in case of holding an Economy Light ticket here? Possible to get a refund and not fly? (AY has not informed me of new schedule yet)
I thought that if you have not started the trip, you can always ask for a refund in the case that the itinerary is disrupted. But the website seems to imply otherwise - that you can only be rerouted or overnight.

Finnair also has a waiver for flights to/from CN/KR/JP on week 10 (which are not yet officially cancelled).
Old Mar 1, 2022, 3:49 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by ffay005
The hotel is tricky, but food shouldn't be a problem. They can provide it in their lounges or directly in the terminal. If they can bring food carts from Finnair Kitchen to the planes, why not to the terminal itself?
Or just issue more vouchers... I guess OP could've tried to purchase something and then claim it via CS.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 7:34 pm

Programs: BA Nada, HH Diamond, IHG Spire AMB, Marriott Plat, Accor Gold
Awful for your wife, hope she made it to the UK. Looks like I’ll be in a similar position in a couple of weeks if the extended routing continues, fortunately though as a UK citizen I’d be able to enter Finland and go to a hotel. Does anyone have any recent experience of what Finnair are offering?
Old Mar 2, 2022, 12:11 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Awful and sorryful experience, but maybe just a nocando situation due to border control clumsiness.

It is ages but previously missing connections AY provided local hotels, bisnes/platinum getting better ones, usually Hilton. But all of them outside airport anyway.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 12:20 am

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Or just issue more vouchers... I guess OP could've tried to purchase something and then claim it via CS.
The vouchers don't help much if everything at the airport is closed. OP's wife was only able to stay on the non-Schengen side.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 1:49 am

Programs: HappinesSMiles Silver
Which european transit airports have non-schengen hotel open at the moment? Helsinki is risky transit for those who cannot enter EU but don't think there's too many options elsewhere.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 2:05 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by avermat
Which european transit airports have non-schengen hotel open at the moment? Helsinki is risky transit for those who cannot enter EU but don't think there's too many options elsewhere.
All in all, I think airside hotels are rather rare in these parts of the world. FRA has IIRC, but that is the only one that comes to my mind.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by chelseastu
It's not the delay per se that grates me, its the fact that she has been dumped in a releatively cold airport (for her) with only token amount for food. Incidentally she couldn't find anywhere open to use the voucher and luckily she was able to get some food in the lounge but that shut at midnight.
She's a tough cookie but in circumstance like these surely she should had been allowed a temporaryr pass to stay in a hotel.
AY has to provide accommodation. However, if she wants to have that accommodation outside the airport terminal, then she needs to have the correct visa. Without a visa, AY is only able to provide whatever is available in the terminal which could be just a blanket. AY has to offer food and I assume that it wouldn't be impossible for AY to bring food airside if the restaurants are closed.

Originally Posted by 77Wer
Do you need a visa to enter Finland? If so, try to get a transit visa as soon as possible so that you can stay in a hotel. Also pay attention to covid-19 entry restrictions.

Originally Posted by intuition
All in all, I think airside hotels are rather rare in these parts of the world. FRA has IIRC, but that is the only one that comes to my mind.
Doesn't SVO offer something airside, at least for irrops? Of course there are no flights between SVO and most of Europe for the moment.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 12:10 pm

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Originally Posted by intuition
AMS has an air-side hotel, which I believe is accessible from non-Schengen (never tried). Though I don't know if it's open in Covid times.
remymartin likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.