Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is this a valid ticket?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2022, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

Is this a valid ticket?

Good price in business for the dates I'm looking at, but a really short connection and this is the last direct flight of the day HEL-MAN. This is for my father who is in his 80s and not savvy with these things so I can't have him spend the night in Finland. If the outbound is delayed would Finnair rebook him at LAX on another Oneworld carrier? Or, is there a service I can book at Helsinki to take hm straight to the connecting flight?
Old Feb 21, 2022, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is that from an airline or some (dodgy?) online travel agent OTA?
Does it meet the MCT (min connection time)? Is not SCT (sensible connection time)
Late arrival into HEL would be hell!
From LAX to MAN, for a non-travel savy, 80 year old may be more realistic options. The money is not everything!
Old Feb 21, 2022, 7:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold, OZ Diamond, LH Silver
This is a valid ticket and is within the min connection time at HEL. There is no passport control or security check at HEL when arriving from USA and continuing to another non-Schengen destination such as UK. Thus, in theory if the LAX-HEL flight arrives on time this connection is doable.

However, any delay will put the connection at risk. In case of a delay Finnair would most likely not put the passenger on another flight from LAX but rather find an alternate connection from HEL to MAN later. This could mean overnight at HEL or a flight with one more stop on another airline the same evening.

All in all, if you absolutely do not want to risk a missed connection this is not a good itinerary. Especially as the passenger is 80 years old.
ffay005 and mpkz like this.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 7:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AY Gold
I’m sorry, I just have to ask. If 7k+ in AY J is a good price, how much would a bad price be?
Old Feb 21, 2022, 8:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by haapalainen
This is a valid ticket and is within the min connection time at HEL. There is no passport control or security check at HEL when arriving from USA and continuing to another non-Schengen destination such as UK. Thus, in theory if the LAX-HEL flight arrives on time this connection is doable.

However, any delay will put the connection at risk. In case of a delay Finnair would most likely not put the passenger on another flight from LAX but rather find an alternate connection from HEL to MAN later. This could mean overnight at HEL or a flight with one more stop on another airline the same evening.

All in all, if you absolutely do not want to risk a missed connection this is not a good itinerary. Especially as the passenger is 80 years old.
​​​​​​
Thank you for the info. The flight has great times but not worth the risk in case of delay. Don't want to turn it into an overnight or 2 stop connection.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Alec84
I’m sorry, I just have to ask. If 7k+ in AY J is a good price, how much would a bad price be?
This was just a sample date off Google flights. For the dates I'm looking at with a return from another city it prices out great.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by HGPilot
​​​​​​
Thank you for the info. The flight has great times but not worth the risk in case of delay. Don't want to turn it into an overnight or 2 stop connection.
I wouldn't put my 80+ years old Mum on this connection

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.