Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Are disposable hand warmers allowed onboard?

Old Jan 2, 22, 2:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY Plat Lumo+LTG, FI Gold, DL Silver, BA, SK, AX Plat, Priority Pass, Marriott Ambassador & others

Does someone know, whether disposable hand warmers (those which are based on a slow oxidation reaction and last for about 8 hours) are permitted in carry on or in checked luggage? Booked a trip to KTT and have some of those around at home, but I would not like them to be confiscated in airport security.
Old Jan 2, 22, 11:28 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
No member of staff at any Finnish airport security will ever have seen those before. If they don't include any liquids, I'm sure you'll be fine.
Old Jan 2, 22, 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by ffay005 View Post
No member of staff at any Finnish airport security will ever have seen those before. If they don't include any liquids, I'm sure you'll be fine.
Itís not just liquid. If they contain an oxidising agent then they are not allowed on board. Itís why MREís are forbidden from being carried on board as well
Old Jan 2, 22, 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by DiamondMile View Post
Itís not just liquid. If they contain an oxidising agent then they are not allowed on board. Itís why MREís are forbidden from being carried on board as well
Perhaps theoretically, but how would the security theatre know or find that out if they're in a suitcase?
Old Jan 3, 22, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
I am sure most people feel secure and trust a handwarmer not to get out of control - but why does people even consider bringing such stuff onboard?
I was forced to have a serious talk with a travel partner who brought several single-use portable hotpots *) in the checked in luggage. It is rather unsettling to know that every flight you take can be a flight where someone happily brought a chemical that generates heat (ie a fire hazard), just because security doesn't know how to detect them.

*) A portable hotpot is like a Trangia, but driven by chemicals instead of spirit - it still has the power to boil a litre of broth for your outdoor hotpot session.
Old Jan 3, 22, 1:47 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Originally Posted by Trav1970 View Post
Does someone know, whether disposable hand warmers (those which are based on a slow oxidation reaction and last for about 8 hours) are permitted in carry on or in checked luggage? Booked a trip to KTT and have some of those around at home, but I would not like them to be confiscated in airport security.
I remember buying those in Levi a few years back (I believe) in Intersport, so no need to take them with you from HEL.
Old Jan 3, 22, 6:22 am

Programs: AY+ Plat / LH Sen / AA CK
Originally Posted by ffay005 View Post
Perhaps theoretically, but how would the security theatre know or find that out if they're in a suitcase?
Old Jan 3, 22, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by jessejarvi View Post
Yeah... I wouldn't bet on it. I wonder if I should go to Intersport just to try this out.
miamiflyer8 likes this.
Old Jan 3, 22, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
If the internetz are right, 1 g of Iron will yield ≈7 kJ heat during oxidation. If memory serves me right, specific heat capacitance of water is 2,2 kJ/kgį.

So how many grams of iron do we need to bring onboard to power our own coffee perkolators to get drinkable java in Finnair business class?
ffay005 and lhrpete like this.
Old Jan 3, 22, 3:37 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac King of Coffee, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by jessejarvi View Post
X-Ray
I once made it thru with a 6 pack of water bottles at MIA, so even this isnít foolproof. 😂😂
Old Jan 4, 22, 12:15 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8 View Post
I once made it thru with a 6 pack of water bottles at MIA, so even this isnít foolproof. 😂😂
Yeah, sure, 6 pack of "water bottles". Are you sure it wasn't salad?
Old Jan 10, 22, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY Plat Lumo+LTG, FI Gold, DL Silver, BA, SK, AX Plat, Priority Pass, Marriott Ambassador & others
Well, I now seem to have the answer: airport security did not care. I was wondering because indeed these are based on an oxidation reaction, which just happens very slowly. For safety reasons I put them in my hand luggage.

The only reference I managed to find was a TSA list of allowed and prohibited items. It specifically stated that hand warmers were allowed, thus I dared to take them with.

I know they can be purchased locally at Levi, but at times they have run out of them, and as I had some at hand I thought to take them with.

I can't vouch for what happens to them at KTT security, though, as I had none leftover.
Old Jan 10, 22, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by Trav1970 View Post
Well, I now seem to have the answer: airport security did not care.
Thatís what I assumed. They donít know what it is, and itís not a liquid or a gun etc so they donít see anything in their monitors that would seem suspicious.
Old Jan 10, 22, 11:04 am

The security do know what it is (because 10s of thousands of travelers to ski destinations carry those both in carry on and checked baggage). I carry those on winter ski trips all the time and checked with TSA and other agencies in the past.

This is not rocket science. They are explicitly permitted by the TSA and ok-d by other security agencies as well, being a common item.
Old Jan 10, 22, 11:36 am

I wouldn't be so sure. We don't have TSA in Finland. But let's not argue, as we cannot know for sure what they know and don't know.
lhrpete and DiamondMile like this.

Search this Thread