Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

AY codeshare on BA operated flight - baggage query

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2021, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, AmEx Platinum, AVIS Presidents Club, Marriott Titanium Elite

I am flying LHR-ARN-BKK with the first sector on BA and the second on AY. This is a paid business class ticket, the one with baggage (not the Light fare).

My ticket says 2PC for the baggage allowance, which I assume is correct for a business class ticket.

As a BA Silver./ oneworld Sapphire member, what will my baggage allowance be? The BA website says the 23kg increases to 32kg but stays as two pieces. The Finnair website says a third piece is allowed.

Which baggage advice do I follow on a ticket which is on AY flight numbers, an AY ticket number on the e-ticket, but a first sector operated by British Airways?

Thanks,

Harry
Old Jan 3, 2022, 7:10 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite
Originally Posted by HarryKUK
I am flying LHR-ARN-BKK with the first sector on BA and the second on AY. This is a paid business class ticket, the one with baggage (not the Light fare).

My ticket says 2PC for the baggage allowance, which I assume is correct for a business class ticket.

As a BA Silver./ oneworld Sapphire member, what will my baggage allowance be? The BA website says the 23kg increases to 32kg but stays as two pieces. The Finnair website says a third piece is allowed.

Which baggage advice do I follow on a ticket which is on AY flight numbers, an AY ticket number on the e-ticket, but a first sector operated by British Airways?
AY marketed Business Classic and Flex include 2 pieces each max 32kg. I don't think Sapphire adds a third. Oneworld.com says this:
  • On international itineraries (including domestic sectors flown as part of international itineraries) using the baggage allowance "piece" system – a second bag, weighing up to 23 kgs, when the ticketed allowance is one bag.
and
  • On international itineraries, that include domestic sectors, using the baggage allowance “piece” system – one additional bag*, weighing up to 23kgs, up to a maximum of two pieces.
but Finnair Gold page says you get one extra bag:
  • You’re entitled to one extra bag (max. 23 kg (50 lb)) when travelling on Finnair flights (AY code on the ticket and flight operated by Finnair or Norra), regardless of travel class.
but that could well be just for Finnair Gold not other Sapphires. Because that is also available for Finnair Silver, even though it is not an Oneworld Ruby benefit at all.

Emerald has the extra bag without any maximum of 2 stated.

The finnair.com Manage your reservation page only shows ticketed baggage allowance without status benefits, but the Finnair phone application show benefits too, at least with Finnair status. Have you tried loading that and see what it shows?

I am not sure how it goes. If you need a third bag, I would ask Finnair directly how it goes. My guess is you will not get it for free with BA Silver.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 9:24 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Perhaps this one, found on Flyertalk can be of assistance?
It is old but still shows some of the complexity

HarryKUK likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 9:56 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by intuition
Perhaps this one, found on Flyertalk can be of assistance?
It is old but still shows some of the complexity

nice fynd. Oneworld has become a shitworld with regard to alliancewide harmonized bennies, BA taking the first turn in the toilet long agi and still with newspapers in there, the good ones american and finnair have smelled the addiction to rotten and following suit
florens and HarryKUK like this.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 10:04 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK

Thanks,

Harry
I searched but couldnt make a sensible proof what it should be. I would be prepared for the minimum what tix type says and take anything above as bonus, if you need to pack lorries into luggages. -this, based on numerous horror stories how misinformed checkin agents have treated pax…
HarryKUK likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 10:40 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by FFlash
nice fynd. Oneworld has become a shitworld with regard to alliancewide harmonized bennies, BA taking the first turn in the toilet long agi and still with newspapers in there, the good ones american and finnair have smelled the addiction to rotten and following suit
Indeed. And that chart is among the tight buddies in the Atlantic cartel, they couldn't even agree on bags and other OW stuff. I guess after agreeing on limiting competition and controlling prices they had used up all energy and couldn't be bothered with customers' needs...
Old Jan 3, 2022, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, AmEx Platinum, AVIS Presidents Club, Marriott Titanium Elite
Thanks so much for the replies - I have managed to pack 2 x 30kg which is below the 2 x 32kg the ticket says and the third bag is only about 10kg so can go as cabin baggage if I can’t check it in. I’ll just make sure to keep liquids etc out of the third bag so it can go in my hand if required but will check it in if it’s an option.

Will reply on Thursday with the outcome in case it helps anyone else!
Old Jan 4, 2022, 7:46 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Thanks so much for the replies - I have managed to pack 2 x 30kg which is below the 2 x 32kg the ticket says and the third bag is only about 10kg so can go as cabin baggage if I can’t check it in. I’ll just make sure to keep liquids etc out of the third bag so it can go in my hand if required but will check it in if it’s an option.

Will reply on Thursday with the outcome in case it helps anyone else!
Please do. As can be surmised from the discussion, the outcome is of interest to many…
Old Jan 5, 2022, 9:10 am
Original Poster

After all this, the ARN-BKK flight tomorrow (6 January 2022) has been cancelled due to "crew shortage due to coronavirus" so I won't have an answer to this. However, I must say I am impressed by their quick re-routing onto a direct flight LHR to BKK on TG, still in Business Class as per the original Finnair ticket. I thought they would prefer a oneworld routing like Qatar but apparently not. I am not sure which is the better product as never flown TG on this route but will take it over the previous 6 hour transit in ARN!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.