Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

Finnair | Finnair Plus

New Finnair Longhaul cabin coming January 2022

New Finnair Longhaul cabin coming January 2022

Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 28, 22, 2:51 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Jaenks
Wiki Link
ROUTES FEATURING THE NEW J AND PE CABINS:

As of May 11 2022:

JFK
DFW
SIN
ORD (1JUN22 to 30OCT22)
HKG from 04AUG22
BKK from 25NOV22

New cabin on:
333 LTO LTP LTT LTU
359 LWD LWE LWF LWH LWS

Print Wikipost

Old Jul 4, 22, 2:02 pm

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Originally Posted by cpworld View Post
Does he get that status by flying miles, or is he granted status?
Neither, in general, you have to buy cash tickets to earn status (which he does with exceptional cheap ticket offers). Except some "buy-in" offers occasionally, by transferring CC points like SQ did to get Gold status.

And, I think, he gets enormous amounts of CC points as referrals for people signing up for CC's through his website. This is what he does use for the majority of his flying and hotel bookings.
Old Jul 4, 22, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by r2d2 View Post
Royal treatment for elites doesn't sound plausible on the AY forum Or if the service AY gives to its elites is royal in Finland, we have to be happy that Finland didn't become a monarchy
Originally Posted by Jorma View Post
Im really wanting to hear about the soft product because my experiences about it are not really great.
It feels like bare minimum treatment nowdays.
It all depends on what you expect. Expect the staff to bow deep for you, and the experience can be a disappointment. Have requests, towards which the staff feels it to be an honor to fulfill and, you could get what you are asking for.

Be grumpy and expect the staff to be grumpy too. Radiate hate towards your environment and feel it mirror back to you. Be friendly and positive, and the staff will happily join that approach. It makes such a difference. It starts, at the "door-step" of the airplane, create a positive impression, and you will be properly served during your flight. I am often wheeled in, with a wheelchair, usually chatting with the pusher and I nicely thank the pusher for his/her services (and depending on the country, give a tip), etc. Cabin staff will see that and continue to approach you in that way. Everything, except the tip, is free, for everybody.
Old Jul 4, 22, 2:23 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K, Bonvoy Titanium, Recovering United 1K
Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
More about lucky can be read here: One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

While normal journos have some standards (figleaf policies required by their hiolding companies), bloggers have none whatsoever. Regulations just require them to disclose if it was a paid-for-by-the-brand trip, even that some don't disclose.

Wow - 380 pages. definitely a lot of opinions towards him
Old Jul 5, 22, 6:53 am

Programs: Onko teill S-etukorttia?
Originally Posted by Cambo View Post
It all depends on what you expect. Expect the staff to bow deep for you, and the experience can be a disappointment. Have requests, towards which the staff feels it to be an honor to fulfill and, you could get what you are asking for.
What i expect for 4000€ J flex tickets are probably then different from you.

I do expect a greeting as a Lumo tier member on Finnair. Heck, i get personal greeting (plus other soft perks) on partner airline flying in Y (as OWE). Its not really that impossible to have a airlinewide standard toward the top tier members (there is 200-300 now?).
I do expect consistent service. Its always hit or miss with AY, depending on crew mood.
I do expect a pre dinner drink. This has not happened on my 4 previous flights. Instead the cabin crew disappear for one hour to warm up meals behind curtains.
I do expect little bit more from a "6-course meal" than one tray service of what Y meals was 7 years ago. Oh and i do expect some variations in the menu but not going to happen.
I do expect J toilets to be for J passengers rather than whole plane like on Finnair.
I do expect that cabin crew will block PE/Y passengers to let J passengers get off first (if L2 is used). Not happening on Finnair.

Some of these are so small and easily fixed things. But small things add up.

Dont get me wrong, i have had some wonderful crews in the past, but nowdays it seems like its in decline.

Oh and yes, i do greet and smile when boarding.
r2d2, ffay005, Ed Size and 10 others like this.
Old Jul 5, 22, 7:17 am

Programs: QRPC, BAEC
Originally Posted by VegasGambler View Post
I'm not sure what you are expecting. I just flew on it. The service was friendly. The food was nothing special but it was fine. I pre ordered the seafood meal and it was good.

They had some champagne that people seemed to like but I don't drink the stuff so I have no idea. Their spirits menu was nothing special. No single malt scotch so I just drank water all flight and had a cup of green tea after dinner. Again, It was fine.

If you want a gourmet meal go to a nice restaurant. If you want to cross an ocean while sleeping in a lie flat, fly business class. I expect a gourmet meal on a plane about as much as I expect to enter a restaurant on one side of the ocean and leave on the other.
Finnair is charging way more for J tickets these days and in some cases just as expensive as the ME3 or even more. When they used to be cheap, Im fine with it but now that they start charging 3-4k for J tickets I do expect more than a minimum bare bone J service for what I paid.

Unfortunately there is a big gap between the price they are charging and on-board service delivered at the moment so I do sympathise with some of the comments re sub par service, poor food quality etc.

and FYI gourmet food does exist on planes, they (the airline) just have to make an effort. A flavour of what is possible in pics below (not for comparison purposes but a reality check of what the competition is offering, given that FI is pretty much up there with them in terms of pricing at the moment)

Again, different customers, different opinions and different expectations.

Old Jul 5, 22, 11:23 am

What i expect for 4000€ J flex tickets are probably then different from you.
This is your first mistake. The cabin crew does not know what you paid for your ticket.

Edit: In Covid times, I paid that too for non-flex tickets.....

I do expect a greeting as a Lumo tier member on Finnair. Heck, i get personal greeting (plus other soft perks) on partner airline flying in Y (as OWE). Its not really that impossible to have a airlinewide standard toward the top tier members (there is 200-300 now?).
I do expect consistent service. Its always hit or miss with AY, depending on crew mood.
I do expect a pre dinner drink. This has not happened on my 4 previous flights. Instead the cabin crew disappear for one hour to warm up meals behind curtains.
Yep, your expectations are high, because you paid a lot, which makes the fall down deep, when these things don't happen.

I do expect little bit more from a "6-course meal" than one tray service of what Y meals was 7 years ago. Oh and i do expect some variations in the menu but not going to happen.
This is not a "crew" item.
I do expect J toilets to be for J passengers rather than whole plane like on Finnair.
Is this a crew item or AY policy ?
I do expect that cabin crew will block PE/Y passengers to let J passengers get off first (if L2 is used). Not happening on Finnair.
A genuine item.

Some of these are so small and easily fixed things. But small things add up.

Dont get me wrong, i have had some wonderful crews in the past, but nowdays it seems like its in decline.

Oh and yes, i do greet and smile when boarding.
The greeting and the smile alone is less than 5 seconds and that is not enough to establish a longer positive relationship.
I intentionally carry the visually expressed positive "experience" from somebody else outside the airplane with me into the airplane.

And, when I walk in, I always have a little "joke", often one that usually works. Cabin crew needs to check your boarding pass, to verify, your destination is where the airplane goes. I use that "check", by asking (just before showing the boarding pass), if they go to XXX. They'll confirm, and I react, "Great, me too, may I join you ?".

Just a few weeks ago, I flew on a typically grumpy airline (Austrian) and, indeed, they looked a bit grumpy, though my usual trick worked, and I got what I wanted, every time I asked for something, including some non-standard items.

If I want a pre-dinner drink, and it's not served, I go get it (and I get it, they even serve it at my seat).

Though admitted, never with AY. Let me find out with AY myself, somewhere next month. ;-)
mpkz likes this.
Old Jul 5, 22, 4:46 pm

I think I've got a chat from the purser on every longhaul AY flight I've flown this year (6 legs so far) and on shorthauls sometimes. Sometimes several (welcome + then a thank you for flying). I'm an ordinary plat, not a lumo.
Old Jul 6, 22, 3:19 am

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
Originally Posted by Cambo View Post
This is your first mistake. The cabin crew does not know what you paid for your ticket.
They don t need to know how much a single passenger paid for his ticket, just handle every single person perfect. Its service, and this should be equal to anyone in the traveling class.If flying J I have some expections no matter how much I paid for my ticket.
Old Jul 6, 22, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by Ed Size View Post
They don t need to know how much a single passenger paid for his ticket, just handle every single person perfect. Its service, and this should be equal to anyone in the traveling class.If flying J I have some expections no matter how much I paid for my ticket.
Yep, that is what the rule books says.

When the rule book is applied "lazy", you have 2 options: A) become grumpy/angry, because you don't get what you are entitled to, or B) use your social skills to get (at least part of) what the rule book grands you. I prefer the B option, since it makes the flight experience much better. Not to say, it may cheer up the cabin crew and all passengers get (a little) more than without your "positive intervention".

A completely different example: Those idiots loudly skyping in the lounge. Irritating. How to stop them ? Easy, walk there, stand in front of the idiot, maybe even at an unpleasant close social distant, and just wait until they look up, and you get their attention. Then, just speak up with a clear voice, not soft, not loud, not angry, and just bring the message: "Would you mind doing your call somewhere else, this disturbs a lot of people ?". Don't hesitate to just speak through their call. Wait 2 seconds, then turn around and walk away. Within a minute (often much less), the noise stops, it's even that embarrassing, these people disappear within a few minutes. Easy, solved in just 1-2 minutes, no need to find staff, who does not dare to act, etc. No need to get angry or get irritated.

For all these "corrections", it's important to give people the opportunity to realize and to correct on their "mistakes".
Old Jul 7, 22, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
C) Move on to greener pastures.

I'm sure B) works well for some travellers but it doesn't for all. People are different and not all are wired that way. Then such advise is just like extrovert people telling introvert people ""why don't you just speak up". It isn't helpful. As for extroverts, they are wired in a way where they simply cannot understand there is such a thing as introverts and all those odd people should just do things the way they do.
In this case, I am just like "why the f*ck should I have to grease the staff who is paid to be there to assist me?" and you are "anyone not greasing the staff is just doing things worse for themselves". Maybe, but consider that not everyone wants to be a person who manipulates.

Anyway, the more people using alternative B, the more the staff ignores those who don't. So the solution of socially engineering to get what you should get is a negative spiral. Some travellers gets more and more attention while others gets more and more neglected. For the greater good it is not a good solution.
ffay005, Ed Size, esledo and 2 others like this.

Last edited by intuition; Jul 7, 22 at 2:31 am
Old Jul 7, 22, 3:02 am

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
Option D.

Just go on board, push the seat back and sleep as long as possible. Once you are awake order what ever comes to your mind and don t care about the mood of the crew. For me thats the way to do it. I never felt that I m entielted for something, but I sometimes want certain things, and then I ask for them.
Old Jul 8, 22, 1:31 am

Originally Posted by intuition View Post
C) Move on to greener pastures.

I'm sure B) works well for some travellers but it doesn't for all. People are different and not all are wired that way. Then such advise is just like extrovert people telling introvert people ""why don't you just speak up". It isn't helpful. As for extroverts, they are wired in a way where they simply cannot understand there is such a thing as introverts and all those odd people should just do things the way they do.
In this case, I am just like "why the f*ck should I have to grease the staff who is paid to be there to assist me?" and you are "anyone not greasing the staff is just doing things worse for themselves". Maybe, but consider that not everyone wants to be a person who manipulates.

Anyway, the more people using alternative B, the more the staff ignores those who don't. So the solution of socially engineering to get what you should get is a negative spiral. Some travellers gets more and more attention while others gets more and more neglected. For the greater good it is not a good solution.
Nerdy/Introvert: Well, just get out of that habit. 30 years ago, I was more introvert as the proverbial example. This whole has far more to do with "just do something", than anything else. With "do something", you get the experience (and for some also the confidence) to "speak up". And with that experience, you can extend your experience, work on the "get what you want", and change what is going on.

The "shame" to not wanting to manipulate (as you call it), disappears automatically. Why: Because 1) you get back what you want and 2) you (granted just somewhat) "change the world" positively. Introverts have the habit to "do nothing", until they are (extremely) angry and then just miss the capabilities to handle the situation. Just get a little out of your locked up situation and find out, that the world isn't that hostile as you think, it is. Learn small step by small step.

Just be aware, I am not saying that by "being able to speak up", you should get the benefits/attention and others don't. I am not the egoist type like Trump.

Really, it's by far not that difficult as it looks from your introvert side, and I know what I speak/write about.

Feel free to flee the scene and move on to greener pastries, which in general, turn out withered too.

Originally Posted by Ed Size View Post
Option D.

Just go on board, push the seat back and sleep as long as possible. Once you are awake order what ever comes to your mind and don t care about the mood of the crew. For me thats the way to do it. I never felt that I m entielted for something, but I sometimes want certain things, and then I ask for them.
That's just a variation in time of option B) ;-)

Ignoring the mood of the other / the crew is an aspect of getting out of the situation, to consider oneself an introvert.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Jul 8, 22 at 7:29 am Reason: Merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Jul 11, 22, 2:13 pm

Programs: American Express Platinum, Flying Blue Gold, Starwood Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
There is a very good fare now to LAX....any chance of getting the new seats by then on the LAX route? Most be high value, only the 24+ turnaround might be the reason it doesn't rotate at the moment with so few planes refurbished.
Old Jul 11, 22, 2:34 pm

Programs: AY GUEST
Originally Posted by kevinflyaway View Post
There is a very good fare now to LAX....any chance of getting the new seats by then on the LAX route? .
When is this then?
kevinflyaway, on22cz and napapiiri like this.
Old Jul 13, 22, 12:43 am

Programs: American Express Platinum, Flying Blue Gold, Starwood Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by OH-LGG View Post
When is this then?
lol, sorry missed that. February to May 2023

Search this Thread