Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Fail FT-PCR test within 48 hours of outbound flight - Finnair flexibility??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2021, 1:54 am
Original Poster

Hello
I have non-refundable, but changeable tickets to Thailand. Changes must be prior to 48 hours. One member of my family has recently recovered from Covid and there is a real possibility that although they are fully recovered, they will fail the RT-PCR test. However we will only get the result of this within 48 hours prior to travel, at which point the ticket rules state non-refundable, non-changeable.

Given the circumstances, does anyone have any advice, or any experiences with Finnair and how they approach this situation (as we would be denied boarding), or is it just tough/bad/hard luck?
Old Dec 6, 2021, 3:23 am

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
Originally Posted by Voda_boy
Hello
I have non-refundable, but changeable tickets to Thailand. Changes must be prior to 48 hours. One member of my family has recently recovered from Covid and there is a real possibility that although they are fully recovered, they will fail the RT-PCR test. However we will only get the result of this within 48 hours prior to travel, at which point the ticket rules state non-refundable, non-changeable.

Given the circumstances, does anyone have any advice, or any experiences with Finnair and how they approach this situation (as we would be denied boarding), or is it just tough/bad/hard luck?
For Thailand you can take the test 72hours before traveling, take a PCR speedtest <12hours and you will have the results in time. Also the rule is, it´s 72hours before the result of the test comes out, if your testing facility indicates this it gives you even more time.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 8:43 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 100K/ One World Emerald
Yes, I was freaked out over this situation as well. Call Finnair customer service and ask them about options. According to their website you only have 48 hours to make changes. I wasn't sure if I would get my Thailand in time on Sunday.

However, even though I had a non-refundable ticket, the agent stated I was on a Classic ticket and I didn't need to make the changes by that time. She stated I could make the changes 4 or 5 hours before the flight and they would changes the dates no problem. Also Finnair website states you can change it an unlimited number of times up until the end of 2021 and then after that you can change it one more time. When I called she said I could change it as many times as I wanted even in 2022.

So maybe the Classic ticket has less restrictions then what is on the Coronavirus rules on their website? Anyway give them a call, find out what your ticket type is and see if you can make changes a few hours before. I think that you will be able to.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 5:05 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Classic ticket has always been modifiable, and its earlier incantation, the Value ticket, was even refundable before departure.

But there is a change fee (and there was a refund fee), which will kick in whence the Covid policy no longer applies, so within 48 hours of departure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.