Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HEL T2 opens

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2022, 10:28 am

There is quite a lot of space for increasing new lines when they get enough people and machines. I’m not worried for the future
Old Jun 21, 2022, 10:35 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
While I agree on the benefits of a single security check-point, it doesn't mean it optimises the entire process.
So HEL now has "the most efficient security set-up" and a disasterous airside passenger flow. Personally, I could wait 5 more minutes in security if it shortens my route through the airport by 15...
Old Jun 21, 2022, 11:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by intuition
While I agree on the benefits of a single security check-point, it doesn't mean it optimises the entire process.
So HEL now has "the most efficient security set-up" and a disasterous airside passenger flow. Personally, I could wait 5 more minutes in security if it shortens my route through the airport by 15...
How many people get this 15 minute shortener (ATR gates + further long-haul gates) vs. how many people lose 5 minutes because of inefficiency?

Maybe they can build an airside tunnel from passport control to ATR gates full of automated walkways to shorten the trip..
Old Jun 22, 2022, 1:21 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by mpkz
Maybe they can build an airside tunnel from passport control to ATR gates full of automated walkways to shorten the trip..
Man, you gotta learn shopping!
Old Jun 24, 2022, 1:43 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by zxcv1
About the HEL security scrum: what's more, one of the Premium (or Priority?) security lanes mixes with a normal lane. The normal lane bags are on one side while Premium on the other and the human operators work in the middle, picking bags that the machine ejected from either side. So, the operators took bags from the normal lane in ratio 5:1, and they must have known what they were doing. I asked a supervisor why the operators are picking bags from the normal lane and not from the priority lane (which at the time had 6 bags waiting while the normal lane had 1 and still they went and chose the normal lane bag). Naturally the supervisor had no excuse, but didn't apologise either. I asked why the Priority lane bags aren't given even equal priority with the normal lane, but no answer. I guess they do it on purpose because the working conditions must not be that great and if they can cause some drama by irritating Priority lane pax then they do it. I am just wondering why the supervisor isn't doing their jobs and making sure it is the normal lane that has 6 bags waiting while they are still picking the 1-2 remaining bags from Priority, and not the other way around as it now is.
So, after spending an eternity in the tube, the high-tech security screening device did not manage to take a picture of my bag, but sent it for secondary inspection. No worries, there are two goons going through these secondary bags, this won’t take long, I thought.

What happened next was that the goon working the non-priority side went off on her break or whatever and the priority goon started taking bags from the non-priority side. Completely ignoring me. I wasn’t in a hurry so I decided to just wait it out. After three non-priority bags, another goon appeared and finally rescanned my bag (putting it through an old school screener) and I was off.

Sure felt like they wanted to give this ”entitled priority pax” a lesson.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 2:00 am

Programs: BA Gold, OZ Diamond, LH Silver
Originally Posted by ffay005
So, after spending an eternity in the tube, the high-tech security screening device did not manage to take a picture of my bag, but sent it for secondary inspection. No worries, there are two goons going through these secondary bags, this won’t take long.
This has happened to me and my friends so many times that the machine just doesn't take a picture. How can that happen so often?

And then there are 30 people waiting for their bags at the end of the conveyor belt not knowing where to stand. Lines before the machine move faster for sure but after the machine there is often a considerable wait nowadays.
ffay005 likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 8:49 am

Programs: AY+ Lumo, HH Diamond
24JUN22: There is now a new entrance to the Priority Security. It is to the right of the Lumo check-in desk (when viewed as approaching the desk). Walked through, no queue, no manual inspections. Really fast.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 3:19 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by zxcv1
24JUN22: There is now a new entrance to the Priority Security. It is to the right of the Lumo check-in desk (when viewed as approaching the desk). Walked through, no queue, no manual inspections. Really fast.
Also some progress on airside, i.e. construction area much smaller. If you are going to non-Schengen area, take a hard left after the security (sign says "Transfer flights"), and you are able to avoid most of the shops etc.

Today there were quite a few people out and about, but everything went very smoothly. From taxi to Plat Wing 13 minutes with baggage drop.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 8:25 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
I don’t think I like the new cutting edge security theatre. Today, the priority queue fed into one of the regular machines. Yes, it was nice to bypass the queue. But then it came to a full halt.

They had 10+ trays waiting to be fed in, in a random order, by a goon, to the machine. Guess if priority pax have any priority here…

I counted 27 pax waiting for bags from one machine after the metal detector. It took ten minutes for my bag to travel through the system.

While it wasn’t nice to unpack and undress, all in all the old system was a lot faster.
intuition and Ukki like this.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 1:51 pm

I heard that 80 % if not more of the bags containing a small bottle of hand sanitizer will go for manual check to test the bottle. I’ve decided that I take out the plastic back with liquids already before leaving the luggage for screening. The guards say that I should not do that because it is not necessary and those at the other end are pleased that they don’t have to open my bag 😁.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 12:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by nordic
I heard that 80 % if not more of the bags containing a small bottle of hand sanitizer will go for manual check to test the bottle. I’ve decided that I take out the plastic back with liquids already before leaving the luggage for screening. The guards say that I should not do that because it is not necessary and those at the other end are pleased that they don’t have to open my bag 😁.
Large liquids are allowed now and they want loose items packed up (or under) because the machine might somehow "suck" in things which are loose (same reason they ask you to put jackets under bags)
Old Jul 22, 2022, 11:59 pm

What is the latest situation in HEL? I have a flight tomorrow and the app says I should go the airport at least two hours before the flight? But even though it is Sunday morning I doubt it will take that long to go through priority security?
Old Jul 23, 2022, 2:29 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, SK Gold
Yesterday I went through security slightly after 3 PM. I would have assumed it would have been busy on a Friday afternoon, but it wasn't. I wasn't eligible for priority security, but also in the normal one the wait to get to one of the machines was like 2 - 3 minutes. (Then there was the usual thing of waiting for your tray to be scanned and have your stuff manually inspected. This time the manual inspection was due to a book in my carry-on). Priority security looked deserted.
ffay005 and JoRz like this.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 4:51 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Tried to upgrade at the checkin desk but only via cash is possible. No points or voucher upgrades.

This is an utter joke.

FinnairPlus When can we expect to use points/vouchers to upgrade at checkin in HEL?
Old Jul 23, 2022, 8:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, OZ Diamond, LH Silver
A week ago on Friday afternoon the security line was longest I've ever seen it. Circling the departure hall and almost out of the doors to the street. I heard it took about 45 minutes to go through which is still somewhat acceptable compared to the rest of Europe. At the same time priority security had zero wait.

In Germany airports have closed priority security lines completely. Hope that doesn't happen at HEL.
Steve_Hun likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.