Hello FlyerTalkers!

Old Nov 12, 2021, 4:06 am
Company Representative, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Finnair Plus
Hello FlyerTalkers!

Hello FlyerTalkers!

I popped in to say hi to you as a still rather fresh, Head of Loyalty for Finnair. My background is from different sorts of product, customer experience and commercial roles within travel trade, and I landed this job after Karolina earlier this year.

I will be following the discussions, learning from your comments, and interacting from time to time. However, I do already now apologize that I am not going to be able to answer all the questions neither comment all the threads. While it is very valuable for me and Finnair Plus to hear how you feel, I will actively refrain from commenting matters of opinion. Long story short, me being silent wont mean that we dont care. We do value all kinds of ideas & feedback and take them seriously when developing our program and services.

It is great to have such a committed group of people with massive amounts of knowledge and experience here! See you around! 😊

Pekka
SK, SanDiego1K, r2d2 and 45 others like this.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 4:48 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Hi Pekka, welcome to FT and good to see you here!

We're definitely a lot less happy than we were six months ago, but still mostly harmless.

However, a short wishlist: As head of loyalty, it's not really your field, but then again, if you want loyal customers, you need to offer them something that creates loyalty. So what about (1) bringing back decent food to the lounges instead of the juuresmss that is served now and that would make grandma feel ashamed in 1943, let alone today, and (2) decent food in business class. A chicken salad as the only "option" on an 8-hour flight from JFK to HEL is, well, I don't really have words for what it is. Longhaul business class should mean a three-course meal, with several options for a hot main course, and this is self-evident.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 5:13 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat, Hilton Honors Gold
Welcome Pekka and thanks for participating, we appreciate it and look forward to your insights.

I also wish that we will be able to meet up with the loyalty team again in the near future. Last time was good fun and, I believe, fruitful interaction for the both parties involved!
Old Nov 12, 2021, 5:22 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo
Hi and welcome!
FinnairPlusPekka likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 6:10 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
Welcome. Good to see that there is a company rep on here again.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 6:19 am

Hi and welcome Pekka!
It's definitely been a bit challenging at the loyalty department, but at least there's lots of room for improvement.
I'd take this moment to mention the fact that the Finnair platinum customer service email takes a month to respond to queries if they respond at all. That's a bit absurd in my opinion.
Best of luck to your new job!
sueco6 and FinnairPlusPekka like this.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 6:51 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Welcome!
And thanks for popping in!

First a quick advice - get in contact with one of the moderators (perhaps by reporting your own post using the red triangle with exclamation mark on) and let them know your are an official company representative. They will have a protocol to verify you, and then all your posts will bear a mark saying you are posting in official capacity. Even if you don't post much, this will help the community know you are the real deal.

It is good to know you will follow discussions but I second lkrt's suggestion for other venues and interactions too.

Finally, these are difficult times, not only for the airline but also for us the commited and loyal flyers. Call it 'Pandemic blues' or whatever, but for many of us, the past years have been life-changing and not in a good way. Fewer people participate here and discussions are less joy-filled. Loyalty is a difficult thing when there is nowhere to fly. People start to pursue other interests. (There is hope though, at least OH-LGG has so far refused to buy a Mkki as his new money-pit).

What I am trying to say is that many of us no longer has that tight connection with Finnair, as we simply haven't been onboard any "real" Finnair flights for 2+ years. Some have had a few zero-service shorthauls, but for all the longhaulers we are still in a black hole.

Loyalty management is up for a challenge and just filling the ranks by matching one-time-flyers from Eurobonus won't cut it. Sure, it is an ungrateful job as you are not in control of many of the negative factors. But for the factors are in your control of, I think you really need to entice the existing higher tier members. There are just too many negative experiences (in booking, website, points-problems, voucher expiry, upgrade tool, low upgrade space, opaque waitlist handling, reduced onboard service, and so on) there really is no joy in planning for a flight even when destinations start to open up. Coming from a bunch who loves flying, then you know it is a difficult situation.

Best of luck, and hope to (be enticed to) see you soon!
ffay005, Kelju, florens and 10 others like this.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 6:53 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Hello and very welcome! Good that you promptly showed up and gave a headsup on what to expect👍
Take your time, and dont get mad with all the ironic, nasty, passiveaggressive and whatnot comments here😁 they belong to our language but in fairness there is a small truth in those: we see that the services have gone downhill lately but understand lots being covid-related, hence we hope the good old returns asap now that pandemic also is easening off.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 7:16 am
Company Representative, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Finnair Plus
Thanks elventhor ! I am painfully aware and sorry for the delays we are having at our contact centers. We are working a lot on this at multiple fronts, hoping to improve the situation as soon as possible. Meanwhile, I take the opportunity to remind about our WhatsApp line for Lumo and Platinum members: +358 40 647 1414. When this channel serves the purpose, I encourage to use it.
ffay005, SPBanker and Purjelentaja like this.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 7:47 am
Suspended

Recommendation that affects very few people here (since I guess most posters are plat or lumo): Enhancing the drinks service on short haul to juice or water is probably not a smart business decision.

Other than that, welcome! I'm still generally happy with AY as a plat, look forward to flying some long hauls in 2022 as well.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by FinnairPlusPekka
Thanks elventhor ! I am painfully aware and sorry for the delays we are having at our contact centers. We are working a lot on this at multiple fronts, hoping to improve the situation as soon as possible. Meanwhile, I take the opportunity to remind about our WhatsApp line for Lumo and Platinum members: +358 40 647 1414. When this channel serves the purpose, I encourage to use it.
Didn't know about the whatsapp line, I'll try it out next time and hopefully the responses are a bit better. Thanks!
Old Nov 12, 2021, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Howdy! And we note with great interest that Finnair will begin A350 service from DFW to HEL this February. I've never flown on Finnair but I'm now looking forward to doing so.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 11:05 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Hi Pekka,

We all appreciate the continuous presence of a Finnair rep here on FT, even if you'll only chime in every so often. At least we know that someone is reading our concerns (and hopefully takes them into account). Can only repeat what others have already mentioned before me, that it would be beneficial for both parties if in the (near ?) future we could meet up in person for exchange of ideas

In any case, welcome to FlyerTalk!
ffay005 and FinnairPlusPekka like this.

Last edited by Steve_Hun; Nov 12, 2021 at 1:49 pm Reason: typo
Old Nov 12, 2021, 1:19 pm

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Welcome to the Forum, while I am sad AY will be more silent I am happy that they are making a show here, while I stopped supporting Finnair this year I suppose I am bound to fly a leg or two yearly till my ay points are gone. 🤣😁

Hope for Happy times ahead at AY
Old Nov 12, 2021, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
Well hello! I've never flown ya'll but was looking at a trip to Moscow recently. Here's to purposefully hoping my Helsinki layover is cancelled or delayed by a day so I get to check out Finland. I am not thrilled by some of the commentary I've heard, but if you're here, that means you guys must be considering working on some upgrades or improvements. Welcome welcome, and oh, good luck.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.