Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel deals - finnish perspective

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2021, 3:20 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I have to check my Scandic level, but I know at some point a few years back they got around to downgrading my status in their program.

There are some BWs in the Nordics that are at least as ok as some Scandics, but I’m mostly using Nordic Choice and some US-based programs when in the area.
Old Nov 21, 2021, 4:47 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Sokos Hotels gave a good laugh once again. They're opening a new limited-service hotel in Espoo called Heymo. Self-service checkin using kiosks, no brekafast apart from a vending machine etc. That's good, I thought, as the capital region could use some cheap alternatives in the 60 euro range. Well, when I got to the end of the article, they said the average price for a night wold be 90 euros. So basically a 1.5 star hotel for the price of a four star. I wish them good luck.
FFlash likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2021, 5:41 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
Hiltons in Helsinki region and Sokos-hotels elsewhere (AY point vouchers: money rather well spent €50 + 27k points per night 7 days a week and in all hotels). Or maybe Scandic (level 2 was easily reached and has remained so for a few years now...) every now and then. OT: Renewed my Hilton Diamond this year by just 1 stay consisting of 7 nights and a hefty hotel bill. And everyone else could renew their Diamonds just by sitting at home .
SPBanker likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2021, 12:31 pm
Suspended

I seem to find Nordic Choice treats its Platinums better than Hilton treats its Diamonds in the Nordics. But if wanting a lounge, Hilton has some while Nordic Choice has none that I’ve seen.

There is the Marriott program for lounge access in parts too.
Old Nov 21, 2021, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AY, SK, TK
So after I got hotels.com statusmatch to Gold level I went and booked 5 nights in Malaga, got a good discount rate and a decent tinto bottle in room. Good apartment in Soho, better than same priced hotels. Thats the good side of hotels.com, namely offering more variety to choose from than the local HIX or DoubleTree😁
Old Nov 21, 2021, 3:10 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
I book most my hotels via Hotels.com, the rest with Agoda and very seldom directly. But what benefits do you get with Hotels.com gold? I'm gold with them and platinum with Agoda, but I fail to see any benefits.
Old Nov 21, 2021, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by ffay005
I book most my hotels via Hotels.com, the rest with Agoda and very seldom directly. But what benefits do you get with Hotels.com gold? I'm gold with them and platinum with Agoda, but I fail to see any benefits.
I'm not aware of any benefit other then some hotels offering a "gold bonus". - 50% on parking, 1 wine bottle, 1 liqour bottle, free breakfast, late/early checkin, or any random perk.
Old Nov 21, 2021, 3:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FFlash
So after I got hotels.com statusmatch to Gold level I went and booked 5 nights in Malaga, got a good discount rate and a decent tinto bottle in room. Good apartment in Soho, better than same priced hotels. Thats the good side of hotels.com, namely offering more variety to choose from than the local HIX or DoubleTree😁
Hotels.com having rental condos/homes available in places is definitely one of the more attractive things about its loyalty program. But their expiration policy for earned rebate currency is pretty unforgiving for those who don’t keep on top of such things and only use it around once each calendar year but not necessarily within every rolling 12 month period.
FFlash likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
How did the status match work? I'm Silver with them, now is the first time I got anything - 2 drinks vouchers and a bottle of local red (and 10% off from the restaurant bill)
Old Nov 22, 2021, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
How did the status match work? I'm Silver with them, now is the first time I got anything - 2 drinks vouchers and a bottle of local red (and 10% off from the restaurant bill)
Google and you will fins the Avis president match page if it is still up. 15 days they will match you.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Google and you will fins the Avis president match page if it is still up. 15 days they will match you.
How nice - just matched my Sixt plat to Avis Pres Club
FFlash likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 1:49 am
Original Poster

How nice - just matched my Sixt plat to Avis Pres Club
And SAS gold gives Avis Pres which I did, for anyone interested.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

…and LH Sen gave Sixt Plat. Sixt also gave plat for AY Platsku, might be worth trying
Old Nov 23, 2021, 3:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ffay005
Sokos Hotels gave a good laugh once again. They're opening a new limited-service hotel in Espoo called Heymo. Self-service checkin using kiosks, no brekafast apart from a vending machine etc. That's good, I thought, as the capital region could use some cheap alternatives in the 60 euro range. Well, when I got to the end of the article, they said the average price for a night wold be 90 euros. So basically a 1.5 star hotel for the price of a four star. I wish them good luck.
Now got a teaser on that Heymo. Lol. While the concept idea is good, pricing has to be in ripped range too. These divided offerings with backoffice admins in same house running low and high ends are nearly always doomed to work, due to not market need but internal company running impossibilities (eating up the little margins of the low, or pressuring up pricing of the low-end leading to customers walking)
Old Nov 23, 2021, 8:01 am
Suspended

@intuition, I want to inform you that I set up some people to take your upgrades…. by cheaply minting Golds and Platinums for no more than 6-12 nights … and on the extra extra-cheap at that. My apologies if the suite upgrades are gone at the Comfort xPress.

More seriously, it looks like everyone will be Silver if they booked on the right dates for the coming few months. I’m curious what that will do to the chances of Silvers and Golds to get late checkout.

…and LH Sen gave Sixt Plat. Sixt also gave plat for AY Platsku, might be worth trying
Nordic Choice Gold and Platinum give Hertz PC. And from what I can see, the promotional 5 night credit per night booked by the (now past) booking deadline has worked very smoothly. There is a lag of up to around 36-48 hours before the new status reflects even after crossing the qualification thresholds for status night credits (inclusive of promotional night credits) shows online.
intuition likes this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Nov 23, 2021 at 8:09 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.