Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair nonstop longhaul flights from ARN

Finnair nonstop longhaul flights from ARN

Old Oct 23, 2021, 1:30 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Also SAS is supporting AY's new operations

the810 and GOTBound like this.
Old Oct 23, 2021, 2:01 am

And then approx 35 pax on board it's time to go MIA

the810 likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2021, 2:04 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Kudos to AY for actually starting those MIA flights now instead of postponing them until after 08NOV.
the810, florens and temppa like this.
Old Oct 23, 2021, 12:47 pm

Programs: AY+ Platinum
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
2nd plane and 2nd operation from ARN.

OH-LWP getting ready to MIA
I saw you in the lounge quickly!
florens likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 8:13 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by ffay005
Kudos to AY for actually starting those MIA flights now instead of postponing them until after 08NOV.
I guess it's lucrative for cargo given that they started early?
Old Oct 24, 2021, 9:11 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
I suspect cargo as well. Or, presumably, loads eastbound may be better as well with Americans generally allowed to travel to Europe. Although it's not exactly high season either for travel to Europe, especially from Florida.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 11:38 am

CEO Topi called this ARN opening as significant opening so it could mean these routes are not only this winter season flights.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 2:11 pm

YLE news article on the start of AY longhauls from ARN (in Finnish) mentions that if these flights become popular then there is a chance that AY might deploy the next A350 deliveries at ARN...
Old Oct 26, 2021, 4:08 pm

I really don't know what to think here. Yes, it might be a good idea to use planes that otherwise would stand idle, and yes, Swedes probably travel a lot more than Finns right now, as the general view on covid is very different and a lot more relaxed in Sweden compared to Finland.

But is there really a need to fill the gap left by DY, and is AY really the right player to fill that gap? There are US carriers flying to ARN, there's SK, and there's TG from Thailand. AY has no feed, so it would need to rely solely on demand from the greater Stockholm area.

Sounds like a competitive market to me, and if (when) Asian traffic resumes, I bet AY will make more money flying those planes from HEL to Asia. But there might very well be a surplus of widebodies for at least a year more, even two.

My prediction: summer 2022 will see ARN-US flights, winter 22–23 will see ARN-TH flights, but after that, I doubt it.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 6:38 pm
Suspended

Location: The part of NC where we have electricity, paved roads, and high school diplomas.
Programs: AA Platinum
But is there really a need to fill the gap left by DY, and is AY really the right player to fill that gap? There are US carriers flying to ARN, there's SK, and there's TG from Thailand.
Who? UA only had seasonal flights since 2015 and cut their ARN flights completely before COVID started, and they’re tentatively planning to fly seasonal flights going forward. There’s no year-round US carrier service.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 8:02 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by WindowSeatFlyer
Who? UA only had seasonal flights since 2015 and cut their ARN flights completely before COVID started, and they’re tentatively planning to fly seasonal flights going forward. There’s no year-round US carrier service.
Yep, nowadays it's only UA left with a seasonal ARN-EWR starting May 2022. In the late 00's you had US Airways flying ARN-PHL, DL flew ARN-ATL (would appreciate this one ) and until 2017 or so a seasonal ARN-JFK. AA has been long gone.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 2:14 am

Has SK dropped their US service from ARN, as well?
Old Oct 27, 2021, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Has SK dropped their US service from ARN, as well?
For a while during covid yes, but they are returning some of their flights. But it was reduced to EWR and ORD, plus a few MIA runs weekly pre-covid. LAX, SFO, IAD, and BOS were all from CPH only.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 2:35 am

Okay, I assumed only EWR and ORD. But there's (will be) MIA as well. So LAX would be the only route where AY offers something that's not already available nonstop.

TG will fly BKK & HKT this winter season.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 7:31 pm
BCC

Programs: Eurobonus Gold
I'm booked SK958 MIA-ARN on November 9. My flight MIA-CPH-ARN on November 8 was cancelled. I do not know where the air craft is coming from since there are no flights booked between Scandinavia and Miami on November 9. Maybe a cargo flight coming in??

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.