Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair nonstop longhaul flights from ARN

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair nonstop longhaul flights from ARN

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2021, 2:03 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Interesting thought.
They could easily rotate planes from the SH fleet, 2 planes doing HEL-CPH : CPH-ARN : ARN-HEL and reverse instead of 2 planes doing HEL-ARN and HEL-CPH.

If SK fits and are willing, the could codeshare. SK has heavy traffic CPH-ARN. Perhaps this is an even easier setup, and could include all SK domestic traffic on ARN
ffay005 likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2021, 2:52 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
SK would probably rather file for bankruptcy than codeshare with AY. It's not the 1990s anymore, with the SK/AY airbridge HEL-ARN from gate A2 every hour.
r2d2 likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2021, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by intuition
If SK fits and are willing, the could codeshare. SK has heavy traffic CPH-ARN. Perhaps this is an even easier setup, and could include all SK domestic traffic on ARN
For domestic flights, AY currently partners with TF, and a co-operation with SK might anger TF. Not sure if AY wants to risk that, although they currently don't seem to be flying to BMA at all. Besides, Mr Manner knows that the passengers love the idea of a BMA-ARN transfer.
Old Sep 9, 2021, 10:39 pm

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by Extra Mile
I think this AY ARN Base is very good opportunity for AY. I hope they success and will win market shares in Nordic countries. Should AY provide connections like exCPH and exOSL, like CPH/OSL-ARN-BKK?
AY's business model built for transit in HEL. What special AY has to give or offer in CPH, OSL or ARN?
r2d2 likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2021, 12:40 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
AY's business model built for transit in HEL. What special AY has to give or offer in CPH, OSL or ARN?
I know that AY’s business model is built for transit in HEL. But maybe some Scandinavian people thinks that’s little bit easier to transit in ARN perhaps? Of course it’s easier transit in ARN if you are Swedish (only one short hop to ARN or you don’t have to do it at all).
intuition likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2021, 7:57 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by Im a new user
For domestic flights, AY currently partners with TF, and a co-operation with SK might anger TF. ...
I actually forgot all about TF - probably because they've been down for count and are just recently up and flying.
But as you say, their model is based on BMA. Even if that might change down the line, I don't see a rationale for TF to feed AY longhauls from ARN.
Old Sep 10, 2021, 7:58 am
Moderator, Finnair

Transfer without health autines?
ffay005 likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2021, 5:02 pm

Programs: AY Gold
HEL offers an easy transit but the non stop service sounds better for many > families with kids, elderly people etc
Old Sep 11, 2021, 4:22 am
Moderator, Finnair

I...Of course it’s easier transit in ARN if you are Swedish (only one short hop to ARN or you don’t have to do it at all).
I think this extremely valid point and why I think there is a upside for ay and SK to offer domestic connection to ay longhauls from ARN.
In these times, if there is no direct available, a domestic bounce is far superior to a foreign one. HEL is no exception. Even if transfer is supposed to be free, there is now always a risk every time your journey touches another country.
Old Sep 11, 2021, 9:43 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum
And we should remember that the Swedish market is double the size of Finnish and there’s at least same customer purchase power than in Finland.
Old Sep 11, 2021, 3:01 pm

And we should remember that the Swedish market is double the size of Finnish and there’s at least same customer purchase power than in Finland.
At HEL they have access to the entire Finnish market. At ARN they only have access to the Stockholm market as long as they're only able to offer smooth BMA-ARN transfers. Of course, Mr Manner knows that passengers prefer a smooth BMA-ARN transfer over changing between flights at the same airport.
Old Sep 12, 2021, 1:12 am
Moderator, Finnair

Not sure exactly how ARN catchment area is defined but it is more than Tukholma... The "Stockholm market" may very well be 50% or more of entire FIN market.

with 2-3 select feeders it may surpass. I doubt anyone thinks BMA is an option for this.
Old Sep 12, 2021, 2:15 pm

Not sure exactly how ARN catchment area is defined but it is more than Tukholma... The "Stockholm market" may very well be 50% or more of entire FIN market.
Stockholm probably includes at least Uppland, Södermanland, Västmanland, Närke, Gästrikland and maybe Östergötland and Hälsingland, maybe more.
with 2-3 select feeders it may surpass. I doubt anyone thinks BMA is an option for this.
The obvious feeders for AY would be AY from HEL and IAG from LHR/MAD/BCN, but IB from MAD and VY from BCN are only operated once per day, so they might require an overnight connection, leaving only HEL and LHR.
Old Sep 12, 2021, 3:11 pm
Moderator, Finnair

I was thinking along the lines of SWE domestic feeders.
Add a GOT-ARN and prospect clients increase by 1 million. MMX (and possibly AGH) would add another million, but there is heavy compettition from CPH in that area, as CPH is feed by regional trains.
Bring UME/LLA along and the AY ARN flights likely has a bigger SWE-market than AY ex-HEL has in terms of FIN-market.
Old Sep 14, 2021, 1:34 am

Programs: AY LUMO
So also LAX and JFK from ARN

In addition to serving North America from its Helsinki hub, Finnair will introduce direct routes to Los Angeles and New York from Stockholm, Sweden.
https://company.finnair.com/en/media...ews?id=4064815

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.