Airlines and Mileage Programs

Finnair | Finnair Plus

Finnair nonstop longhaul flights from ARN

Finnair nonstop longhaul flights from ARN

Old Aug 8, 22, 5:34 pm
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Plat, BA Silver, HHonors/Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by Turboprince View Post
Not sure I quite understand - If I arrive with BA from LHR and connect to AY’s LAX or JFK service… I need to fully exit and then do security and passport again prior to making it to the AY gate?

I thought if you arrive non-Schengen in ARN T5 and depart non-Schengen from ARN T5 then you won’t have to go through any passport/immigration or security checks??

What am I missing here?
I’m not an ARN expert by any means so others will have better advice for you but if I understand the T5 setup correctly they have 2 separate non-schengen areas which are behind different passport checks, not sure if they allow non-schengen arrivals to stay airside at all, though, as I have only departed from T5 non-schengen to Asia and the US, never arrived there (well too long time ago anyway, during the 2010 Iceland ash cloud mess I got back to Europe from Rio via MAD/LHR/ARN but no idea anymore how they treated UK arrivals).
Old Aug 8, 22, 6:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold, OZ Diamond, LH Silver
Originally Posted by Turboprince View Post
Not sure I quite understand - If I arrive with BA from LHR and connect to AY’s LAX or JFK service… I need to fully exit and then do security and passport again prior to making it to the AY gate?

I thought if you arrive non-Schengen in ARN T5 and depart non-Schengen from ARN T5 then you won’t have to go through any passport/immigration or security checks??

What am I missing here?
I arrived in ARN from Croatia recently. I assume UK arrivals follow the same procedure.

Passengers were not allowed to deboard straight to departure level. There was however a path via small security checkpoint back to non-Schengen departures. Another path leads you to passport control from where one can continue to arrivals or via security checkpoint to Schengen departures.
Old Aug 8, 22, 9:31 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac King of Coffee, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat View Post
I’m not an ARN expert by any means so others will have better advice for you but if I understand the T5 setup correctly they have 2 separate non-schengen areas which are behind different passport checks, not sure if they allow non-schengen arrivals to stay airside at all, though, as I have only departed from T5 non-schengen to Asia and the US, never arrived there (well too long time ago anyway, during the 2010 Iceland ash cloud mess I got back to Europe from Rio via MAD/LHR/ARN but no idea anymore how they treated UK arrivals).
Gates 17-24 are a partitioned off non-Schengen area, and so is the upper level of the F concourse. I arrived at gate 18 last month and arriving pax can follow signs to transit security which dumps you in the non-Schengen vestibule of those gates (and then take a transfer bus to F gates) or you can go to immigration (story in itself as they lectured me as a Swedish citizen re entering with my ID card) which then leads you to either a transit checkpoint to go to the Schengen side or you can keep going to baggage claim. Arriving in F you go to the bowels of that concourse and your choices are similar to what I described earlier. No sterile transfer under any circumstance when coming non-Schengen, so OP will pass security but whether he takes a bus remains to be seen.
Old Aug 9, 22, 12:08 am

Programs: AY GUEST
Originally Posted by supersympa View Post
ok, thanks

not enough pax?
Lets see if this is part of something bigger.
Old Aug 14, 22, 7:50 am

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Avoid

I flew AY29 to JFK yesterday and here is my experience:
1. Checkin. Interestingly the desk for AY29 is separate from other destinations, at zone 5.
2. Lounge. As folks observed earlier, the lounge situation is pathetic. The Norreaken lounge is crowded with cold food only. If you have Amex plat, the Pontus is a far better option. I’d hope AY just handles out meal voucher.
3. Gate. For my flight AY used gate 17, which is an enclosed area after the passport control. This is really sucks because once you entered the gate area, your BP is scanned and you are considered boarded. There is nothing in the gate area except a toilet and a vending machine. You cannot leave the gate area so don’t board too early.
4. Food. The catering is surprisingly good albeit with small portions. Way better than the cold sandwich I got last year.

My flight ended up delayed for more than two hours. The reason for the delay is faulty toilet.
Old Aug 18, 22, 12:20 am

Originally Posted by supersympa View Post
Hello fellow FT members,

I am trying to book a direct flight ARN to LAX for the familly.
( I will be myself already in the US for work and I want them to avoid transfers as they are not as geek as me....)

According to Finnair timetable schedule below, there is a AY003 direct from ARN to LAX....

Departure Sun 23 Oct 2022
Stockholm–Los Angeles

but when I try to book it, it does not show anywhere on BA website, Finnair or ITAs....
is the flight already fully booked or is there a glitch?
Flights slowly fade away:

Old Aug 18, 22, 12:30 am

They recently axed a frequency. I was on a Sunday flight LAX-ARN in September and they zeroed it out then cancelled it a few days later and moved us to Saturday. I see T/Th/Sa right now in September.

Last edited by 747kona; Aug 18, 22 at 8:27 am
Old Aug 18, 22, 4:13 am

I was ticketed to fly SIN-HEL-ARN-LAX on October 1st but have been reticketed on the non-stop HEL-LAX flight.
I was so looking forward to 6 hours in the ARN lounge -I've only heard good things about it.
Now I'll have to have breakfast in the HEL Business Lounge waiting for the Platinum lounge to open to spend hrs eating reindeer burgers.
Old Aug 18, 22, 5:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
Originally Posted by 3544quebec View Post
I was so looking forward to 6 hours in the ARN lounge -I've only heard good things about it.
Six hours at any lounge gets tedious or one has to be very no-life. Not to mention one would probably be a masochist with that amount at Norrsken.
kauppias likes this.
Old Aug 18, 22, 5:57 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo
Where did you hear these good things and what was so good?
Flying Yazata and kauppias like this.
Old Aug 18, 22, 6:44 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA
Originally Posted by Flying Yazata View Post
Six hours at any lounge gets tedious or one has to be very no-life. Not to mention one would probably be a masochist with that amount at Norrsken.
Originally Posted by cistavoda View Post
Where did you hear these good things and what was so good?
I believe that lounge comment was sarcastic. 🤣
Old Aug 18, 22, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by Peter Snijder View Post
I believe that lounge comment was sarcastic. 🤣
Either that or wildly misinformed.
ffay005 and cistavoda like this.
Old Aug 18, 22, 7:24 am

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I was ticketed to fly SIN-HEL-ARN-LAX on October 1st but have been reticketed on the non-stop HEL-LAX flight.
Now I'll have to have breakfast in the HEL Business Lounge waiting for the Platinum lounge to open to spend hrs eating reindeer burgers.
see my experience above.
Normally I would stay airside during the transit but in this case, take the Arlanda express, head to downtown to do some sightseeing then head back is not too bad.
Old Aug 18, 22, 7:47 am

Just returned from an ARN-LAX-ARN return in C yesterday.

I was slightly underwhelmed, even though I generally do not expect much from Nordic airlines when it comes to C-class.

Check-in at ARN was a bit chaotic as they had put up signs saying long-haul check-in would be somewhere else while in fact it was not, which confused quite a few people. Security with a priority lane. The lounge at ARN was pathetic (although I must admit that the only other lounge at ARN that I know, the SAS lounge next door, is not that great either). As others have said, once at the departure gate, you are stuck there as they do the additional security controls inside that gate. At LAX, check-in opened four hours before departure. They were unable or unwilling to check luggage through to a connecting Lufthansa flight (separate tickets - last time I checked, they have an interline baggage agreement). So I simply took it into the cabin (small suitcase I wanted to check-in as Lufthansa might have refused it in the cabin). No priority lane. The oneworld lounge at LAX was quite nice. Staff at the gate was extremely rude and made people (including C-Class) stand in lines like in a schoolyard.

I found the onboard service to be very inconsistent. For example, they offer a choice of three sides on the menu, but on the first flight they did not offer any when serving (had to ask for it) and on the second flight, they simply served one of the three without asking (in my case, the one with partly identical veg as on the main plate). They took orders for the drink with the main course and served that before they served the starter for which another drink would have been more suitable. Apparently they also serve desert or cheese and not both as they did not ask again. The food itself was nothing to write home about and pretty mediocre, I would say. My general feeling was that the cabin crew wanted to get finished asap. With a departure from LAX before noon, they asked for the blinds to be lowered after meal service. After meal service, there was no proactive offering of drinks or snacks, they simply put a basket with basic snacks (crisps, granola bars) in the cabin and for anything else you had to call them.

Passengers in C were mostly a leisure crowd from that I could tell, lots of couples and families with children.

As for transfers, the whole set-up at ARN is that you should be able to connect airside. For arrivals from the US/non-Schengen, there is a small airside transfer security control. Arriving intra-Schengen, I guess you are considered "clean" and can simply go to passport control.

Last edited by vfw614; Aug 18, 22 at 8:29 am
Old Aug 18, 22, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by vfw614 View Post
Just returned from an ARN-LAX-ARN return in C yesterday.

I was slightly underwhelmed, even though I generally do not expect much from Scandinavian airlines when it comes to C-class.
If You mean AY, it's not a Scandinavian airline. AY is a Finnish airline.

Search this Thread