Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair nonstop longhaul flights from ARN

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair nonstop longhaul flights from ARN

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2022, 9:46 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, GHA Titanium, AA Platinum Pro
Haha fair, it's just I've never flown on an A350 before so was looking forward to this. At least I'll get to try the new J cabin hopefully.

Looking forward to the IIHF WHC though, which is the main reason for the trip
Old Apr 14, 2022, 8:57 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo; HH Diamond
I am spending this weekend in Stockholm. A short mile run trip... I did read travel guides and etc, but was wandering if anyone here may have some suggestions that they just cannot wait to share. :-)
For example, airport insights, the bestest restaurant, hang out spot, off the beaten path walk, etc.

Also, I'm arriving early (6:30am) and have time to kill before hotel checkin. Any suggestions there?

Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Old Apr 14, 2022, 10:03 am

Programs: AY
If you haven't been to Stockholm before, I'll suggest you start by exploring Gamla Stan. Lots of cool narrow alleys and stairs, nice plazas with cafes etc. Hopefully not too crowded by tourists this time of year yet. I'm into military history myself, so I like Vasamuseet in Djurgården and Armemuseum in Östermalm. Vasamuseet might have long queues in tourist season, but Armemuseum never, besides it's free to enter.

I personally like the Södermalm area the most nowadays. I like evertyhing about that area. Even on a short trip I'll always try to visit bar Akkurat on Hornsgatan there (close to Gamla Stan or Slussen metro), the best pub in town -and IMO in the world. Loads of other nice bars too there in Södermalm (eg. Omnipollos hatt) and nearby Hammarby (Nya Carnegiebryggeriet).

Last edited by aah_; Apr 14, 2022 at 10:04 am Reason: fat fingers, typos
Old Apr 14, 2022, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by aah_
If you haven't been to Stockholm before, I'll suggest you start by exploring Gamla Stan. Lots of cool narrow alleys and stairs, nice plazas with cafes etc. Hopefully not too crowded by tourists this time of year yet. I'm into military history myself, so I like Vasamuseet in Djurgården and Armemuseum in Östermalm. Vasamuseet might have long queues in tourist season, but Armemuseum never, besides it's free to enter.

I personally like the Södermalm area the most nowadays. I like evertyhing about that area. Even on a short trip I'll always try to visit bar Akkurat on Hornsgatan there (close to Gamla Stan or Slussen metro), the best pub in town -and IMO in the world. Loads of other nice bars too there in Södermalm (eg. Omnipollos hatt) and nearby Hammarby (Nya Carnegiebryggeriet).
Thank you so much! Never been to and looking forward to it~
aah_ likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2022, 3:39 pm

Programs: AY
Originally Posted by Besstrashny Boug
Thank you so much! Never been to and looking forward to it~
Please share your experiences/thoughts as a first timer, I've been there a LOT. Be it cruises with my family, or visiting miy employer's HQ, or seeing frineds that live there, or just sometimes getting there just to buy some snus - anyhiow i'd like to hear an adult firsttimer's thoughts, since my first time was when I was 2 mths old, and the first time I can actually remember was ~3 yrs. So would LOVE to hear from someone unbiased!
Besstrashny Boug likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2022, 3:48 pm

Will do!
aah_ likes this.
Old May 9, 2022, 10:41 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
According to this, UA will cancel EWR-ARN this summer. Should be good news for AY.

https://www.traveloffpath.com/united...ghts-for-june/
FFlash, miamiflyer8 and Steve_Hun like this.
Old May 9, 2022, 2:39 pm

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Does anyone know what's up with AY's departure times on ARN-LAX. They started to rotate between 8AM, 11:20AM and 3:15PM which makes it a really odd deal. Its impossible for most people to make an 8AM longhaul flight out of ARN due to Stockholm logistics and would require an overnight at the airport. It also makes no sense to land in LAX at 09:50AM.

I've used this AY route 3 times now which were all on the 3:15PM departure which gives me the 6:55PM return which is great timing for this route but the early AM stuff really makes no sense.
Old May 9, 2022, 5:21 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by ffay005
According to this, UA will cancel EWR-ARN this summer. Should be good news for AY.

https://www.traveloffpath.com/united...ghts-for-june/
Sad to see it go and I wonder if it’ll ever come back. I took it once for the novelty, decent J hard product on the 752 and a lovely Houston-based station manger at ARN.
Old May 24, 2022, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by aah_
Please share your experiences/thoughts as a first timer, I've been there a LOT. Be it cruises with my family, or visiting miy employer's HQ, or seeing frineds that live there, or just sometimes getting there just to buy some snus - anyhiow i'd like to hear an adult firsttimer's thoughts, since my first time was when I was 2 mths old, and the first time I can actually remember was ~3 yrs. So would LOVE to hear from someone unbiased!
It was a great 2 day trip. I did enjoy Stockholm a lot. I spent mostly bicycling around and taking in the sites. Probably put in like 50km in 2 days... Definitely would visit again to investigate more indoor stuff.The weather was perfect - blue skies and sunny. The JFK-ARN-JFK flights were empty but too short too enjoy a nap in J on the way there and placed me in the city at an ungodly hour of 6 am plus. Luckily there was a nice guy in Scandic Continental who let me checkin right away :-) The fast train to the city is great but a little on expensive side for 13 minute ride. Mostly ate different herrings but did check out the bar you recommended. It was enjoyable. I had some mussels and beer but did not stay for the night festivities. Thank you again for your advice!
ffay005, cantongirl and aah_ like this.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 3:27 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Finnair is yet again running a status match campaign in order to support the ARN-based flights.
This time no match to plat and above though. There is also a geographical limit, targeting "airline programs with headquarters in Sweden, Germany and France"

https://www.finnair.com/se-sv/direkt...%A5n-stockholm

Status match

• The frequent flyer program where you are a status member must be both headquartered in Sweden, France or Germany and be part of a global airline alliance.
  • You are eligible for the status match after booking an eligible flight, you do not need to have flown the booking before requesting the status match.
  • You can be matched to Finnair Plus Silver or Finnair Plus Gold tiers.
  • Finnair Plus tier status is valid for a year.   
  • If you are already a Finnair Plus member, your current Finnair Plus tier tracking period will reset to the date of the tier match.
  • Standard requalification rules apply to renew the status after the tier tracking period ends. 
  • In case of booking cancellation, the tier match will be removed. 
  • Finnair Plus terms and conditions apply. Finnair reserves the right to make changes at any time.

Eligible booking for the status match

• Only new bookings made between 16 June 2022 (00:00 UTC+0) and 7 July 2022 (23:59 UTC+0) are eligible.
  • Travel period: 17 June–31 October 2022.
  • The first flight on the booking must depart from Stockholm Arlanda Airport.
  • At least one flight in the booking must be a direct flight between Stockholm Arlanda and Los Angeles or New York, which is both operated by Finnair and marketed by Finnair (flight number begins with AY).
  • Eligible routes: direct flights between Stockholm Arlanda and Los Angeles or New York
    • Flight numbers: AY29 (ARN–JFK_, AY30 (JFK–ARN), AY3 (ARN–LAX), AY4 (LAX–ARN)
  • Eligible ticket types: Economy Light, Economy Classic, Economy Flex, Premium Economy Light, Premium Economy Classic, Premium Economy Flex, Business Light, Business Classic, Business Flex; includes campaign fares.
  • A one-way booking is permitted.
  • Flights bought with Finnair Plus award points are excluded from this offer.  
  • Remember to add your Finnair Plus member number on your reservation.

Last edited by intuition; Jun 16, 2022 at 4:06 am
Old Jun 16, 2022, 2:26 pm
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by intuition
Finnair is yet again running a status match campaign in order to support the ARN-based flights.
This time no match to plat and above though. There is also a geographical limit, targeting "airline programs with headquarters in Sweden, Germany and France"

https://www.finnair.com/se-sv/direkt...%A5n-stockholm
Anyone else reading desperation written all over this second hub at ARN -thing?
Old Jun 17, 2022, 6:16 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
I am not sure what to exactly make of it.

On one hand, they are supporting it with quite some targeted activities. Could mean they are fully behind it, not anticipating to withdraw anytime soon. OTOH, it could of course also mean the yield is way too low and they are throwing the deck chairs off the vessel to keep it afloat.
Who knows.

But with asian strategy gone, Finnair is turning into a service for the locals. There isn't an endless supply of Finns wanting to fly to NA, so a second base in ARN could increase the market significantly. Suddenly having twice as many locals can't hurt.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 7:50 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by intuition
I am not sure what to exactly make of it.

On one hand, they are supporting it with quite some targeted activities. Could mean they are fully behind it, not anticipating to withdraw anytime soon. OTOH, it could of course also mean the yield is way too low and they are throwing the deck chairs off the vessel to keep it afloat.
Who knows.

But with asian strategy gone, Finnair is turning into a service for the locals. There isn't an endless supply of Finns wanting to fly to NA, so a second base in ARN could increase the market significantly. Suddenly having twice as many locals can't hurt.

They should try and add some leisure destinations in NA perhaps MCO or CUN etc
Steve_Hun likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 9:15 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by kauppias
They should try and add some leisure destinations in NA perhaps MCO or CUN etc
+1 for MCO.

Only mass-tourism fanny-pack destination I actually enjoy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.