Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Business light rip off?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2021, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Business light rip off?

Not many benefits left in this ticket type.
Limited change of dates
No refund possibility
No seat reservation n advance
Hand luggage only, therefore no priority luggage
No priority check-inn
No priority security
No lounge access
No priority boarding
No on board internet access

To me it looks more like rip off than light
Dover2Golf likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 10:01 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, BA Bronze, Ex-skywards Platnium
You are absolutely correct, If you add all of those options onto the business light fare, you basically end up paying more than the amount of a business flex fare.

Also, this allows airlines to raise the ticket price for the business classic ticket. For example (this might be a little extreme), if a ticket on business classic costed about $3000 roundtrip, the same ticket with the same options are about $3500-$4000 and business light is around $2900 without any of the perks of a business classic ticket.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 10:27 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by tarmosan
Not many benefits left in this ticket type.
Limited change of dates
I assume that this will be gone sooner than later. Only for the moment airlines feel that they need to give flexibility without change fees. Highly likely they will remove the possibility to change altogether for Light tickets.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 11:54 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by tarmosan
To me it looks more like rip off than light
Especially considering that Light costs the same as a regular J Saver ticket used to cost.

For status members, this means "pay the same, get the same" and for all else, it's "get less". (And status members of course lose out on points, as these fares are 150 % only.)
Old Jun 23, 2021, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
"Happy" that this is not my problem for the time being, with no l/h (Asian) flights on the horizon... I'm rooting for TH or JP to open up later this year, but not holding my breath
kauppias likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 3:01 am

As OW Emerald, do you get the 1 additional free bag with business light?
Old Oct 18, 2021, 3:04 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Voda_boy
As OW Emerald, do you get the 1 additional free bag with business light?
Yes.
Voda_boy likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 3:30 pm
hmv

Does OW Sapphire also gives access to the lounges while travelling on a business light fare?
Old Oct 27, 2021, 3:34 pm

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by hmv
Does OW Sapphire also gives access to the lounges while travelling on a business light fare?
yes
Old Feb 10, 2022, 4:06 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by hmv
Originally Posted by kauppias
yes
Is this for sure? I'm looking at a long-haul Business Light. I see the normal conditions: no checked bags, no lounge. In the 'fine print', regarding baggage it says

> Finnair Plus Silver, Gold, Platinum and Platinum Lumo or oneworld Emerald and Sapphire members
> are entitled to one extra bag (max. 23 kg/50 lb)

OK, clear enough. BUT, for the lounge it says only

> Finnair Plus Platinum Lumo, Platinum and Gold members are entitled to free lounge access regardless of ticket type ...

specifically mentioning Finnair Plus status but no reference to other OW status. So, I just thought I should double-check if anyone has recent experience. TIA.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 4:09 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by henry999
OK, clear enough. BUT, for the lounge it says only

> Finnair Plus Platinum Lumo, Platinum and Gold members are entitled to free lounge access regardless of ticket type ...

specifically mentioning Finnair Plus status but no reference to other OW status. So, I just thought I should double-check if anyone has recent experience. TIA.
I can’t confirm ex-HEL because the lounge was closed but can at an outstation. Both boarding passes also said +1 access to lounge. The BP reflected non-ay status.
AirbusA350 likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 4:11 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Thanks, r m.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 6:59 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
It is a universal oneworld perk that if you are OWS, you get lounge access (even in Y). So this should very much apply to all fares, regardless of travel class or "Light".
Steve_Hun likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by remymartin
I can’t confirm ex-HEL because the lounge was closed but can at an outstation. Both boarding passes also said +1 access to lounge. The BP reflected non-ay status.
I can confirm on a J Light fare that entry into the HEL Business Non-Schengen Lounge is possible. Just did that today, though it still closes at 9pm, which for a Singapore flight is too early!
AirbusA350 likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 1:14 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
so as a OWE purchasing a biz light fare for the first time, i understand i get one free bag regardless, but it seems like that bag is limited to 23kg?

when i put a paid bag in my cart it updates to 32kg. for a long trip i can never get my bag under 23kg so have purchased more for peach of mind, but for future reference it would be good to understand if my OWE entitlement would only be limited to 23k free of charge?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.