Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Passenger banned for 6 months for trying "I'm eating" trick to avoid mask wearing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passenger banned for 6 months for trying "I'm eating" trick to avoid mask wearing

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2021, 3:37 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Complying with the various rules and placards in air travel is always required. The logic behind everything is not always transparent: for example who knows if wearing a seatbelt, not smoking, remaining seated during landing/takeoff/taxiing is really effective. Rules are rules and they are there for a reason.
ylefin likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 4:14 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
Originally Posted by Ed Size
So happy that it is out of question that you can turn down the mask while drinking Gin & Tonics. BER - HEL I count 8.
No need for that. Just poke a small hole to mask and use a straw.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 4:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Complying with the various rules and placards in air travel is always required. The logic behind everything is not always transparent: for example who knows if wearing a seatbelt, not smoking, remaining seated during landing/takeoff/taxiing is really effective. Rules are rules and they are there for a reason.
I also said that - if you take AY service, comply by their rules.

Originally Posted by elventhor
Hysterics - perhaps, but you don't know it any more than I do - but I'd say I have more right to be upset about someone clearly breaking what I consider to be the intention of a reasonable rule than them being upset that I got upset.
Of course you have the right to be upset - and everyone else have the right not to give a flying f..k about it.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 10:37 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
That's what I meant by my original's remark - hysterics squared. Next up - he had a T-shirt saying "[insert your favourite slogan that upsets you]" Do we really, really want to go down this US road?

We have heard from Mr Manner that airplanes are the safest environment, with the air exchanged every xx seconds, with hospital grade HIPA filters and whatnot. Also in Finland there is no legal requirement to wear mask. AY has its policy, sure and if you use their services, you should comply. But the pax is correct in that AY policy does allow for removing the mask for eating and drinking and doesn't define for how long one is supposed to eat a bag of chips or nuts.

And calling the police? Really? What they were supposed to do?
This. 100% IMO.

While rules are to be complied, I am just laughing at the level of actions.

If he were to carry Corona, I bet there were equal amount of affected pax irrespective of wearing a mask or not.
sueco6 and miamiflyer8 like this.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 4:27 pm

Programs: AY+ Lumo, HH Diamond
The civil aviation law is expressly clear about following crew instructions on board. The pilot is the ultimate authority in air. Wearing a mask is not a political statement, it is a mask. If the crew tells you to stop eating and wear the mask appealing to the ongoing pandemic and pursuant to current AY policy, you stop eating and put the mask on. No different to trying to be smart about seat belt sign during turbulence and not being able to use the lavatories. Flying is a privilege, not a right. The contract of transportation that forms between the passenger and the carrier when the ticket is issued comes with T&C. Don't like the T&C? -- then don't sign the contract with the carrier. Don't have to go public with your tantrum just because you didn't read the contact you signed. I made the mistake of googling this Miikka Peuravirta, and the more I read about him the less I actually want to know about him.

Last edited by zxcv1; Feb 25, 2021 at 5:39 pm
Old Feb 26, 2021, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zxcv1
The civil aviation law is expressly clear ...
No disagreement here.
Old Feb 26, 2021, 6:49 pm

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
We have heard from Mr Manner that airplanes are the safest environment, with the air exchanged every xx seconds, with hospital grade HIPA filters and whatnot.
Frankly, this is BS. I’ve had a whole holiday in St. Anton ruined by a person coughing behind me in an AY AB. And we compared this experience with another person sitting behind this guy who got sick as well.
Old Feb 27, 2021, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tsastor
Frankly, this is BS. I’ve had a whole holiday in St. Anton ruined by a person coughing behind me in an AY AB. And we compared this experience with another person sitting behind this guy who got sick as well.
The evidence is inconclusive - you might have caught the bug on the bus to the terminal, at the luggage carrousels or even from someone else. Given the incubation period, you might not even caught it from the coughing guy.
Old Feb 28, 2021, 1:10 am

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
Oh yeah? And what about the other passenger getting sick? We were the closest ones to the coughing passenger, totally healthy and others caught Nothing.

At least Mr. Manner should not be giving these kind of virological expert statements.
Old Feb 28, 2021, 11:14 am

Programs: finnair plus platinum

Miikka's interview at merirosvoradio
Old Mar 1, 2021, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tsastor
Oh yeah? And what about the other passenger getting sick? We were the closest ones to the coughing passenger, totally healthy and others caught Nothing..
Causality is a biatch to prove "What are the chances?" is not causality. (this is a general remark, had some good reading on the subject lately)
Old Mar 1, 2021, 1:50 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by finnishlad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNDa79kRE2s

got curious but this video seems private?
Old Mar 1, 2021, 2:29 pm

Programs: finnair plus platinum
I can see video has been removed
Old Mar 1, 2021, 3:08 pm

Programs: AY LUMO
Removed from Youtube but open in TokenTube

https://tokentube.net/view?l=2460760396
Old Mar 1, 2021, 10:37 pm

Programs: AY+
Originally Posted by finnishlad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNDa79kRE2s

This Miikka guy makes me want to drink a pint of gasoline and eat a lit match 😁 Did skim a bit of this interview and I have no words..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.