COVID testing for arrivals at HEL

Old Jan 1, 21, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

COVID testing for arrivals at HEL

How many times have you been tested for Covid-19?
Old Jan 1, 21, 6:59 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by Bdsm View Post
How many times have you been tested for Covid-19?
Once. Oh, and I recently took an antibody test, too.
Old Jan 1, 21, 8:46 pm

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by ffay005 View Post
Oh, I've stayed in quarantine for all the periods that have been ordered by the infectious disease physician, just like the law says. Guess how many days that is!
ffay005 likes this.
Old Jan 2, 21, 9:42 pm

Once. Oh, and I recently took an antibody test, too.
Not to go too far off topic but this I simply do not understand. The test is free and easy for arrivals in HEL. Even if you are 99.9% sure you are not infected, it is so easy (even with a line) that it makes it worth it for the 0.1% chance of infecting an elderly relative or someone you pass by.
Steve_Hun likes this.
Old Jan 3, 21, 2:08 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo
Originally Posted by mpkz View Post
Not to go too far off topic but this I simply do not understand. The test is free and easy for arrivals in HEL. Even if you are 99.9% sure you are not infected, it is so easy (even with a line) that it makes it worth it for the 0.1% chance of infecting an elderly relative or someone you pass by.
They're not giving out free buckets so why bother
Old Jan 3, 21, 6:37 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Gold, Scandic L2
Originally Posted by cistavoda View Post
They're not giving out free buckets so why bother
But they give you a free disposable surgical mask!
Old Jan 4, 21, 2:32 am

Originally Posted by mpkz View Post
Not to go too far off topic but this I simply do not understand. The test is free and easy for arrivals in HEL.
I (re)entered Finland for the first time since August, and I ended up taking the test. There was hardly a queue to speak of. I received the results within 15 hours.

I have heard horror stories of 2-hour waits for my fellow country(wo)men though.

Getting off-topic, but the overall scheme does not quite seem to work (surprise surprise). You're supposed to get tested again no earlier than 72 hours after the arrival test (assuming it came negative), but Omaolo.fi does not seem to fancy people getting tested without symptoms other than "I have been abroad in the past 14 days".
Old Jan 4, 21, 4:01 am

Programs: AY Lumo, TK Elite Plus, BT VIP
Originally Posted by Courmisch View Post
Getting off-topic, but the overall scheme does not quite seem to work (surprise surprise). You're supposed to get tested again no earlier than 72 hours after the arrival test (assuming it came negative), but Omaolo.fi does not seem to fancy people getting tested without symptoms other than "I have been abroad in the past 14 days".
It's not the scheme not working, rather your misunderstanding of options. The second test is your opportunity to cut the recommended quarantine time, not any sort of voluntary demand from the government / THL. Should you wish to use the opportunity, it would be at your cost.

Another question is whether you need to be 100% honest with Omaolo if you want a free test.
Old Jan 4, 21, 4:24 am

Originally Posted by on22cz View Post
It's not the scheme not working, rather your misunderstanding of options.
Under the current scheme, the free test at arrival is pointless if it is not followed by another test: you get 10 days of voluntary quarantine either way, with or without the first test. Not only that, but it is nowhere stated on the THL documentation how to "get" the second test. Explanations on the other leaflet and by the airport staff to the effect that you can find / will get further instructions with the results of the first test make it worse. In reality, all you actually get is a boolean result; it does not even show on kanta.fi as far as I can tell.

The second test is your opportunity to cut the recommended quarantine time, not any sort of voluntary demand from the government / THL. Should you wish to use the opportunity, it would be at your cost.
Yes, I suppose that's how it's meant to be. But it just makes no sense to me. Even the first test is also only merely recommended, and the quarantine periods are voluntary. Why would somebody pay ~200 to get a second test then?

It feels to me like begging for people to ignore the recommendations (as some evidently do here), and ultimately makes the airport arrival test a waste of healthcare capacity and tax-euros.

Another question is whether you need to be 100% honest with Omaolo if you want a free test.
I wouldn't need to lie. Running nose and sore throat are all about where you draw the line
Old Jan 4, 21, 2:01 pm

Programs: My Happiness Reward Silver
Yes, I suppose that's how it's meant to be. But it just makes no sense to me. Even the first test is also only merely recommended, and the quarantine periods are voluntary. Why would somebody pay ~200 to get a second test then?
Company policy. You get back to work by taking the second test and waiving the voluntary isolation recommendation.
Old Jan 4, 21, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by avermat View Post
Company policy. You get back to work by taking the second test and waiving the voluntary isolation recommendation.
You mean that some employers would pay for it so their staff can get back to work faster? I can't imagine that an employer could legally require an employee to pay for the test.

Mine just bans foreign travelers from the premises for 14 days, so getting the second (or indeed the first) test makes no difference...
Old Jan 4, 21, 10:38 pm

Under the current scheme, the free test at arrival is pointless if it is not followed by another test: you get 10 days of voluntary quarantine either way, with or without the first test. Not only that, but it is nowhere stated on the THL documentation how to "get" the second test. Explanations on the other leaflet and by the airport staff to the effect that you can find / will get further instructions with the results of the first test make it worse. In reality, all you actually get is a boolean result; it does not even show on kanta.fi as far as I can tell.
It is only pointless if you think about it only from your perspective. I do not get the test to evade voluntary quarantine, I get the test to get (some) peace of mind before visiting my parents and my friends and to protect others. THL had some modelling (admittedly very rudimentary back-of-the-envelope but it seemed reasonable) on the risk reduction of an airport test vs. a 10 day quarantine and it was somewhere in the order of 50% as effective, which is pretty good given that few obey the quarantine (essentially airport test = will catch almost all infections prior to maybe 3-4 days before your flight, so if you self-quarantine those days and are careful at the airport, you should be quite safe)

Yes, I suppose that's how it's meant to be. But it just makes no sense to me. Even the first test is also only merely recommended, and the quarantine periods are voluntary. Why would somebody pay ~200€ to get a second test then?
Because they want to protect their loved ones and others? Everyone makes their own decision about this but having a pro-social motive is not weird, what would be weird is NOT having a pro-social motive. I guess most would just fake a symptom rather than pay btw.

It's the same reason 80% or so of travelers line up to get a non-mandatory test. It's easy and helps you protect others. 200e is not that easy any more but saying you have a headache is..
Old Jan 5, 21, 3:47 pm

Programs: AY Plat Lumo
And as a reminder: It's also pointless to take the test after back to back flights. Quick googling tells me that it takes up to five days after exposure for the test to show positive.

Off to Arlanda then -->
Old Jan 5, 21, 4:36 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by cistavoda View Post
And as a reminder: It's also pointless to take the test after back to back flights. Quick googling tells me that it takes up to five days after exposure for the test to show positive.

Off to Arlanda then -->
Trevlig resa! Let's hope the Norrsken lounge is still open.
Old Jan 5, 21, 6:10 pm

Programs: Free Agent
Trevlig resa! Let's hope the Norrsken lounge is still open.
It certainly was open during my visit on Dec 19th when flying BA, breakfast was full service best I could tell, never visited it before.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: