Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

No more free transfer of points between friends and family except for Lumos

Old Dec 16, 20, 12:05 am
Original Poster

There goes Friends & Family...
According to a customer rep, it's gonna go away in January or so, so no more free transfer of points between friends & family.
Old Dec 16, 20, 12:08 am

Programs: SK EBg/baEC G/MR P/A3 *G/CC G/HH D/IHG Spire
Originally Posted by elventhor View Post
According to a customer rep, it's gonna go away in January or so, so no more free transfer of points between friends & family.

lets hope not, not the best time to make neg changes.

I have never used the benefit but in theory I like it.
Old Dec 16, 20, 12:38 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo
Originally Posted by kauppias View Post
Tried to use it but the registration never worked properly, so no family for me... Then just gave up on forming that group and just called lumo-line and said "just use my wife's points".
Old Dec 16, 20, 1:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
lets hope not, not the best time to make neg changes.

It is the perfect time to make negative changes.. People are not really booking many flights, and there is not much of a choice. By the time people start focusing on flying again, they will have forgotten about the negative changes

Old Dec 16, 20, 2:19 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
It is the perfect time to make negative changes.. People are not really booking many flights, and there is not much of a choice. By the time people start focusing on flying again, they will have forgotten about the negative changes

I have a feeling frequent flyers will remember 😂😂

maybe the average joe wont but....
Old Dec 16, 20, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
A serious - the only way to avoid orphaned points in the family. I used it many times to harvest pool the points of family members into one (my) account to make use of them. This is much more clearcut than BA's family system.
Old Dec 16, 20, 3:37 am

Programs: Only Gold card I have is at F24Seven :D
thanks for the headsup, need to move again the few left
Old Dec 16, 20, 3:39 am

Programs: Only Gold card I have is at F24Seven :D
Originally Posted by cistavoda View Post
Tried to use it but the registration never worked properly, so no family for me... Then just gave up on forming that group and just called lumo-line and said "just use my wife's points".
did it work? I tried this some time ago when the online transfer was so clumsy that I got mad and called in, they said ”we cannot do this, you have to make your wife do it for you”
Old Dec 16, 20, 4:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QR PC Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, SK EB silver, Nordic Choice Platinum, Liberokerho GOLD, SJ Black
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post

I guess you are right, but would the benefit for AY be with this change? The only thing I can see is the hope that without pooling more points will end up expiring and thus create a small deduction of debt in the awards account. But that benefit is pretty small and far away. Other airlines are working in the opposite direction, trying to make people use their points. QR lowered points prices on award flights, for example. So both trying to lower the points debt and fill planes.
Old Dec 16, 20, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
I have a feeling frequent flyers will remember 😂😂

maybe the average joe wont but....
FT remembers, but more normal frequent flyers don't. But even if FT remembers in the end they probably forgive.
the810 likes this.
Old Dec 16, 20, 4:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by intuition View Post
I guess you are right, but would the benefit for AY be with this change? The only thing I can see is the hope that without pooling more points will end up expiring and thus create a small deduction of debt in the awards account. But that benefit is pretty small and far away. Other airlines are working in the opposite direction, trying to make people use their points. QR lowered points prices on award flights, for example. So both trying to lower the points debt and fill planes.
That's a different question. I don't really see much of a benefit for AY. Reducing people's ability to use points, and reducing cash out in case they book partner awards. But as you say that is a quite limited benefit for AY.
Old Dec 16, 20, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by cph-flyer View Post
ft remembers, but more normal frequent flyers don't. But even if ft remembers in the end they probably forgive.

not me 😂😂😂😂🧐
Old Dec 17, 20, 1:15 am
Original Poster

Unless I'm mistaken; TL;DR:
No more free transfers even between friends and family except for Lumos.

Olemme uudistamassa Family&Friends-ohjelmaamme, uutta ja paranneltua on luvassa 2021!
Nykyinen Family&Friends jatkaa sellaisenaan 31. tammikuuta 2021 asti, joten voit siihen asti siirtää pisteitä Family&Friends-ryhmän sisällä samaan tapaan kuin olet tähänkin asti voinut.
31. tammikuuta 2021 jälkeen kaikki Family&Friends-ohjelman jäsenet voivat siirtää pisteitä maksutta vielä yhden kerran 31. joulukuuta 2021 asti. Tällöin pisteiden siirto tulee tehdä Finnair Shopissa.
Platinum Lumo -jäsenet voivat jatkossakin siirtää pisteitä maksutta.
Tutut säännöt ovat voimassa: pisteitä ei voi siirtää Junior-jäsenelle eikä alle 3 kuukautta jäsenenä olleelle.
Old Dec 17, 20, 1:30 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum / FlyingBlue Gold
Unless I'm mistaken; TL;DR:
No more free transfers even between friends and family except for Lumos.
What a fantastic and exciting new improvement to charge money for an action like transferring points, which is handled 100% automatic.

We are writing to inform you that we are revamping our Family&Friends programme, with something new and improved coming in 2021!

The current version of Family&Friends will continue to run in its present form until 31 January next year, which means that until then you can continue to transfer points as you do now.

After the current version of Family&Friends closes, all group members receive one free online points transfer that can be used at any time up to 31 December 2021.

Platinum Lumo members will be able to continue transferring points for free.

During the intermission between the current version of Family&Friends and the new version, members should transfer points at the Finnair Shop.

The same rules apply as normal: it is not possible to transfer points to Junior members and you cannot transfer points to someone who has been a member for less than 3 months.

Stay tuned for a big announcement next year on the improvement of Family&Friends!

Best regards,
Finnair Plus
Old Dec 17, 20, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
During the intermission between the current version of Family&Friends and the new version, members should transfer points at the Finnair Shop.

This gives some hope that the final outcome will be something not-so-horrible

Search this Thread
Search Engine: