Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

American Express in Finland - 2020 and onward

American Express in Finland - 2020 and onward

Old Sep 9, 2020, 3:00 pm

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Prsidentielle
Maybe we shouldn't compete with referral links here? Just for the sake of there being multiple AMEX users here, so there's easily a row.

FYI: I won't get FFlash into trouble, but the ToS FlyerTalk adheres to, prohibits affiliate marketing. Quoting the ToS of Internet Brands:

Affiliate marketing by users is expressly prohibited on our sites and services.
I'm not trying to be nosy, just being gentle so that nobody gets actual trouble from the overlords.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 3:02 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond, PriorityPass, AX Plat
Just got e-mail from Amex - very disappointed with Plat development. They are marketing a great improvement, 40k extra MR-points when spending 40k in a year - starting Nov 1. And in small print towards the end thay let us know that starting Jan 1,2021, new earning ratio is 1=1MR. For me, not traveling and less spending due to Covid-19 the card benefits are worse than before - not sure I will reach the 40k the next 12 months. The free Calm Premiums for a year is not really a game changer.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Just go for Green - I made that move quite a while ago.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 9:05 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Just go for Green - I made that move quite a while ago.
what benefits does Green offer over a mastercard? I have not found ANY as of yet?
Old Oct 22, 2020, 9:19 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by vulle
Just got e-mail from Amex - very disappointed with Plat development. They are marketing a great improvement, 40k extra MR-points when spending 40k in a year - starting Nov 1. And in small print towards the end thay let us know that starting Jan 1,2021, new earning ratio is 1=1MR. For me, not traveling and less spending due to Covid-19 the card benefits are worse than before - not sure I will reach the 40k the next 12 months. The free Calm Premiums for a year is not really a game changer.
Aha. Thx. This is the last nail in the coffin. Byebye Amex now finally, I kept hanging around too long already!
Old Oct 22, 2020, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kauppias
what benefits does Green offer over a mastercard? I have not found ANY as of yet?
Membership Rewards points (1=1p) but with far fewer partners than AX UK or US and no fixed spending limit.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 1:09 pm

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Membership Rewards points (1=1p) but with far fewer partners than AX UK or US and no fixed spending limit.
no fixed spending limit but it is based on your previous spend so....

as for rewards I thought that was not included in green but at a extra cost?

I will keep using my MC 8.5k limit is enough for me and 2 AY pts per spent is a better return in my opinion theb 1 ax or 0.8ay... obviously the benefits to us all vary wildly, I liked AX plat but found gold and green useless...

though now AX Gold offers lounge to go at HEL so for some it might work...

but for me I am too frugal to waste money on things that dont offer enough in return

too bad PP with guest is not available at a reasonable cost separately 😆
Old Oct 23, 2020, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

MR is included in Green, no extra charge.

MR has Marriott, Hilton & Scandic (?) as transfer partners and is the only CC (in Finland) that can earn Avios and AF/KLM miles via MR. For AY earnings it's a dismal choice. I don't know if there are SK earning cards anymore in Finland other than Amex.

And one major advantage - there's no DirectConvert ripoff possibility with Amex.
Old Oct 23, 2020, 4:06 pm

MR is included in Green, no extra charge.

MR has Marriott, Hilton & Scandic (?) as transfer partners and is the only CC (in Finland) that can earn Avios and AF/KLM miles via MR. For AY earnings it's a dismal choice. I don't know if there are SK earning cards anymore in Finland other than Amex.

And one major advantage - there's no DirectConvert ripoff possibility with Amex.

i guess it works for some then 👍👍 just dont see value for myself
Old Nov 2, 2020, 6:12 am

Amex Plat MR benefits

Anyone else noticed AMEX Finnish challenge offering additional 40 K point if annual use of the card exceeds 40 K. Dowd side is that as from 1.1.2021 plat generates only 1 points per euro spent. This means that at least for 40 K user are better of until approx. annual use of card of EUR 60.000 (I know did not calculate correctly).

I received link offering SIXT platinum level based on my AMEX Plat. Anyone has experience abut this. Is this competitive compared to current Hertz status that I have in practice found quite good/competitive.
Old Nov 2, 2020, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sixt - I got Plat based on my LH status a long time ago, they never checked if that status is valid anymore There was (is?) a campaign for AY and SK status members, they even had a stand in the Schengen lounge. I use both Sixt (Plat) & Hertz (5*) regularly and opportunistically. Whichever offers better rates, I take it. Both provides upgrades most of the time.

One thing for Sixt over Hertz is that the airmiles/points for the rentals post very promptly, with Hertz I more or less gave up ever receiving them.

IMO just take the status, it's better than a fist in the eye (sorry for the Finglish)

Ah, and welcome to our small corner of FT! We are mostly harmless
Old Nov 2, 2020, 7:27 am

Have not tried Sixt, I asked for the Match when they had the stand but back then I was not in the AY fold so as I recal it was no go, but Hertz treats presidents circle members very well... I have had great upgrades with them and service has also been top notch....
Old Nov 2, 2020, 7:37 am

Hi, thank you. Just to let you know that I got Hertz President's Circle level also long time a ago based on Accor Plat. However, I notices that rental prices under "basic" President's Circle were higher than AMEX boosted benefits on my Hertz (5 star) account.

I claimed Sixt Plat. Not expecting that good benefits but I can boost my ego and cut in line at certain premises where SIXT is offering privileged Plat level service desk.
Old Nov 2, 2020, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Ive been using Sixt almost exclusively for years when ever they are available. As a plat been getting good upgrades, theres never any hassle and the fleet typically has nicer cars than competition. Ive even turned down some crazy upgrades such as MB G-Wagon when I just wanted a fun convertible at LAX...
Old Nov 19, 2020, 12:02 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by konsulentti
Anyone else noticed AMEX Finnish challenge offering additional 40 K point if annual use of the card exceeds 40 K. Dowd side is that as from 1.1.2021 plat generates only 1 points per euro spent. This means that at least for 40 K user are better of until approx. annual use of card of EUR 60.000 (I know did not calculate correctly).

I received link offering SIXT platinum level based on my AMEX Plat. Anyone has experience abut this. Is this competitive compared to current Hertz status that I have in practice found quite good/competitive.
Dont know what they think when I look to Sweden where amex keep coming with real bennies and here in Fin some almost useless.
So I finally cut my amex.

Now just wondering about which bank to ask for a good points card to top off my AY MC. I know here is lots of talk earlier but need to investigate again...
kauppias likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.