Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

American Express in Finland - 2020 and onward

American Express in Finland - 2020 and onward

Old May 28, 2020, 9:00 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond, PriorityPass, AX Plat
Originally Posted by remymartin
Possibly targeted, however several data points today - AX platinum cards now get “up to 225€” back during summer purchases at K, S and Stockmann stores, verkkokauppacom stores and online and finally Wolt.
Spoke with the customer service as most of my friends have received the offer but I haven't. All platinum card holders will get the offer, but as they might have grown wiser from their ATK/IT-issues they will send out the offer in batches during a few days.
Old May 28, 2020, 9:04 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Possibly targeted, however several data points today - AX platinum cards now get “up to 225€” back during summer purchases at K, S and Stockmann stores, verkkokauppacom stores and online and finally Wolt.
Received it too. This came a few days after the €35 gift certificate for Wolt. Seems like they've realised that benefits have been dismal otherwise.

Also, I've received confirmation that they discontinued the connoisseur program.
Old May 28, 2020, 9:16 am

Programs: AY Platinum (OWE)
Does the offer mean that if I go to e.g. Verkkokauppa and buy something which costs 225€, I get it all back from Amex? Or are there some other hidden terms I cannot see?
Old May 28, 2020, 9:33 am

That's how I understood it.
Old May 28, 2020, 11:48 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by AndyA
Does the offer mean that if I go to e.g. Verkkokauppa and buy something which costs 225€, I get it all back from Amex? Or are there some other hidden terms I cannot see?
I got the same offer and understood it this way. Something is hidden there. Old saying, sounds too good / it must be a fraud.
Old May 28, 2020, 12:03 pm

I understood that it is 2 % and maximum 225 € but I could be wrong.
Old May 28, 2020, 12:50 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by nordic
I understood that it is 2 % and maximum 225 € but I could be wrong.
You’re mixing up the double points calculated cash back value with this offer.
Old May 28, 2020, 1:53 pm

I have the US Amex Bonvoy card too. They offer $300 refund for spend at Marriott hotels. So if I spend $300 at Marriott annually, it's essentially paid for by Amex entirely. This is on top of other benefits such as free nights, etc.

My point is that this type of offer isn't unheard of, and the Finnish card is almost twice as expensive as US equivalents, with only a fraction of the benefits.

I wonder whether they're pursuing a number of things here: i. increased the perceived value of the platinum perks (I'm sure card penetration is low here, and retention quite poor), ii. get people back to spending mode (pretty sure transactions must have dropped massively overall and they must be trying various things to get clients to start spending again), iii. ramp up partnerships with local merchants - some of these offers might be co-funded by merchants.

So it's indeed quite a positive surprise and seems like too good to be true, but I don't think it's necessarily crazy of them, and I wouldn't spend too much time reading the fine print. But lets see. I spend this kind of money weekly on Wolt, so I'll figure it out soon enough.
Old May 28, 2020, 3:42 pm

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
Apparently I don't have to know about any of their campaigns. Didn't get any contact regarding those double MR points either.
Old May 28, 2020, 5:12 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
US plat card got a grocery store spend benefit about a month ago - $250 iirc. It’s essentially a copy of that.
Old May 29, 2020, 2:16 am

Programs: A3 Gold, AY Silver
US plat card got a grocery store spend benefit about a month ago - $250 iirc. It’s essentially a copy of that.
NL plat card got a similar offer of 200€ this week (grocery, electronics, dept. stores). I couldn't see any strings attached.
Old Jun 1, 2020, 5:40 pm

I have checked my AX account and there seems to be a couple of Hyvitys/Credit. I’m not sure where they come from as I have used the card at K supermarkets, S stores and at Stockmann’s but the totals do not agree. Anyhow, the total credit will be something between 3 to 4 months membership fee so not extremely lot but still nice.

Edit: now I understand, the credit comes from purchases made two days ago. I will soon amount the the maximum credit.
Old Jul 18, 2020, 3:53 am

Programs: AY+
Originally Posted by AndyA
So did anyone try this? Was it too good to be true or was it a real deal?
Old Jul 18, 2020, 4:55 am

Programs: AY+ Plat Lumo
Originally Posted by tulokas
So did anyone try this? Was it too good to be true or was it a real deal?
Yes, got the whole 225€ from multiple K-supermarket purchases.
Old Jul 18, 2020, 6:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP
This seems to be a worldwide trend. Both my USA and Taiwan Amex cards have added a bonus for grocery stores. In Taiwan the benefit was even better than usa. About 70% of the annual fee (this is a Centurion card so the benefit was about $3k usd).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.