Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

American Express in Finland - 2020 and onward

American Express in Finland - 2020 and onward

Old Feb 12, 2020, 3:02 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by Antx
Travel is an ok TA, however I have mostly booked some complex itiniaries for specific flights and hotels.
I am specifically interested in booking complex bookings. Can they search awards? I guess no. Can they book complex itinenaries with good prices based on just rough plans - say, I am not an ITA hacker or such, so can they do bookings without spoon-feeding them what you have first-hand searched yourself? I cannot imagine how they could do that, and then, if you need to spoon-feed them, what is then the point of using them and not just finishing the booking yourself?
Old Feb 12, 2020, 3:21 pm

Programs: AY Gold
Originally Posted by FFlash
I am specifically interested in booking complex bookings. Can they search awards? I guess no. Can they book complex itinenaries with good prices based on just rough plans - say, I am not an ITA hacker or such, so can they do bookings without spoon-feeding them what you have first-hand searched yourself? I cannot imagine how they could do that, and then, if you need to spoon-feed them, what is then the point of using them and not just finishing the booking yourself?
With complex here I meant things I cant get ticketed with AY or other airline website. For example when I need a ticket in a specific booking class, or a true multi-city and I dont have luck with the offered options. Someone else might understand my complex differently. I should have been clearer to begin with but was cut short in real life.

Yes, I spoon feed everything because thats the only level of control I am comfortable with when making travel arrangements. I dont think it is anything other than a TA, but as a TA it does its job. I like that they have everything they need (mainly my name, FF number, credit card info) on file and I can just pop an email for whatever I need. If someone does not want to spoon feed the segments, they will come up with something, just like any other TA.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

...and must add on Plat card value proposition:

- Additional plat card with no-limit PP included, for my spouse who travels on her own a lot,. This is included in the monthly fee
- two card numbers for myself to separate biz and personal spending (this is in addition to the additional card)
- Pontus Amex lounge food and service in Arlanda, although I dont get to visit there that often

Sorry if I start to sound like an Amex ad. What Im trying to say is that while Amex Plat sounded expensive, it has been a good deal at least for me, even with very rational reasoning
kauppias likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 2:16 am

Programs: AY Platinum Lumo, LX Senator, SK Life-time Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
What I specifically miss from the times when I had the Swedish Amex Plat from SAS were the 2-4-1 vouchers. Would really like to see something like that offered elsewhere in Europe.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Thanks to all sharing opinions - some food for thought...
Old Feb 13, 2020, 8:05 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Its nice to hear they are testing ground for Centurion also here...however if the US pricing is of any indication, $7500 initial one-off fee plus $5000 annually (from this year) one has to wonder if any credit/insurance/concierge/PP/statuses has got that much real extra value...people who travel/spend enough to qualify for the invite most likely have many of those perks already available to them, esp. as they are AX Plat holders by default.

But, then again, for most Centurion targets money is most likely not too big of an issue and of course it offers huge ego boost and bragging opportunities for some people...again putting all this into perspective here where SEBs recent 50 annual fee lead to mass cancellations..
Old Feb 13, 2020, 10:38 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
I also received the e-mail. The pricing will more likely be along with Swedish price point (60k signup, 30k annual) than US pricing.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 10:43 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by remymartin
I also received the e-mail. The pricing will more likely be along with Swedish price point (60k signup, 30k annual) than US pricing.
Id imagine the annual fees will see an increase also on this side of the pond from April.

Its now $2500 in the U.S.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

3k + 3k.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 1:01 pm

Buying pig in bag if they dont explain the bennies well
Old Feb 13, 2020, 1:43 pm

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by FFlash
Buying pig in bag if they dont explain the bennies well
buying "bragging rights" and exclusivity 😂😂😂 though Ali Express sells black AX cards for alot less 😂😂😂
Old Feb 13, 2020, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by kauppias
buying "bragging rights" and exclusivity 😂😂😂 though Ali Express sells black AX cards for alot less 😂😂😂
or you might say in finnish high school boys talk -terms:
-oliks toi kallis?
-joo. About miltsin.
-Oliks jrkee, toihan niinku lhinn vaan nytt hienolta?
-joo mut tll saa pilua
kauppias likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 7:51 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, GC Jade
Originally Posted by loimu
Has anyone made use of the Platinum Travel or Lifestyle services? There's a thread elsewhere on FT about those services but I'd be more interested in the Finnish/Nordic experiences.
For me, the best use of Lifestyle has been occasions where I need a reservation in a nice restaurant in Helsinki for a group (say larger than five people) on short notice. Much easier to give some parameters and have them call a dozen restaurants than do it yourself.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 9:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Does Amex have an office in Finland? I have a Centurion card from an other small market (Taiwan) and the real benefit to me is the personal service offered. All the service is personal with direct emails and phone numbers. I have also actually met some of the team members here as they deliver things like Birthday gifts personally. Without the service aspect I think the annual fee would not make sense. For me booking a hotel or flight simply works by sending a Line message or an email to our personal rep. Almost like a PA. We use this for our family travel a lot, for my business travel I do still like re-searching flights my self.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 1:15 am

Originally Posted by SAN_Finn
Does Amex have an office in Finland? I have a Centurion card from an other small market (Taiwan) and the real benefit to me is the personal service offered. All the service is personal with direct emails and phone numbers. I have also actually met some of the team members here as they deliver things like Birthday gifts personally. Without the service aspect I think the annual fee would not make sense. For me booking a hotel or flight simply works by sending a Line message or an email to our personal rep. Almost like a PA. We use this for our family travel a lot, for my business travel I do still like re-searching flights my self.
And this makes me think if they testing waters, you shall expect a lots of baby hicks in the service.

sour, said the fox...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.