Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

American Express in Finland - 2020 and onward

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American Express in Finland - 2020 and onward

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2022, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by kanamurva
Imo changing to ay+ points is even worse, 1000 points giving 800 ay+ points. I'm especially looking for tips transferring to different programs, hotels etc. how was the Bonvoy deal?
If you're into AY points, AX is a non-starter. Go with a 2p/€ MC and get the black Plussa card (6k/year spend) Then you can transfer the otherwise unimpressive Plussa points at an incredible good rate of 1:2 to AY.

I needed some extra Bonvoy points for a redemption at Al-Maha resort, that was selling at 1200€+/night. One of those nights were covered by converted AX points. Even better redemption was a 2200€/night suite for 40k Bonvoy+SNA - again AX points supplied 1 of the night's Bonvoy.

I'm not saying that Bonvoy is always a good transfer (BA is generally much better) but in specific cases like this, it's a very good option. I can imagine similar values popping up at IHG or Hilton as well.
vulle, SPBanker and kanamurva like this.

Last edited by WilcoRoger; May 12, 2022 at 5:54 am
Old May 12, 2022, 6:21 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
I find the ideal value is topping up airline miles when there is no credit card in the market for your airline. It could also be useful to top up any hotel chain where you need to redeem something and you don’t have enough points, as Wilco says. Whatever you do, don’t blindly dump all Amex points into the same programme. It’s all about its flexibility.
vulle, WilcoRoger and esledo like this.
Old May 27, 2022, 8:32 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum (OWE), Hilton Diamond
So it seems that Amex (at least for Finnish customers) has terminated their travel booking service. They now have some sort of form that you can fill to ask for a booking. That's totally ridic!

FHR bookings can have great value, and I was pleasantly surprised on my last booking how things went. So now they apparently just pulled the plug on their travel CS, and they still think they can market Plamex as a premium travel card?

I called their CS on other matters, and the CS rep confirmed that the travel phone line no longer helps with bookings (I don't know what do they help with, then). She said they've already received plenty of angry feedback and card cancellations. The only good thing here is that at least people are reacting. I naturally told her to carry them a similar message forward.
vulle likes this.

Last edited by McCarran; May 27, 2022 at 2:46 pm
Old May 27, 2022, 1:38 pm
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Wouldn’t be too surprised if AX pulls away from Finland completely. Too small market and for most various (semi) free MC/VISA are all they want/need.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 12:33 pm

Programs: Finnair Platinum, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Right so anybody know what the "surprise" is at Bronda? A complimentary soft drink of your choice with your meal?

If anybody knows or is going to find out please do let us know as I don't have much intent on going to find out...
Old Jun 10, 2022, 3:47 pm

Fast track at Helsinki airport

Hi

Does the staff at the fast track security counter allow Centurion & 1 guest to use the fast track? There is a large ad in the airport about fast track for Platinum and I am afraid Centurion won't be recognized. ​​​
Old Jun 10, 2022, 9:39 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by epigram
Hi

Does the staff at the fast track security counter allow Centurion & 1 guest to use the fast track? There is a large ad in the airport about fast track for Platinum and I am afraid Centurion won't be recognized. ​​​
You are actually allowed two guests with a black card. If they give you any pushback, show them this webpage:

I remember about 3 years ago, going thru the Fast Track lane in the T1 checkpoint, I was not using AMEX but rather both my cabin and status allowed access which the automated gate didn't recognize. The line dragon had a keychain of several keycards, one of which was branded as AMEX Plat and the another as Centurion, he used a generic keycard to open the gate manually for me.I guess this is done to distinguish who gets let thru and how to bill it. They also have a printed manual which has all rules for each carrier who contracts the service at HEL so I wouldn't imagine it being an issue on them recognizing the black card.

Fast Track at several destinations in the Nordic region

Fast Track is the quickest way to get through security at the airport and we are continuously expanding our Fast Track concept to more Nordic airports for Centurion members.

You can find Fast Track here:
  • Stockholm Arlanda Terminal 5 (at the SAS-check in)
  • Stockholm Arlanda Terminal 2
  • Gothenburg Landvetter Airport
  • Malmö Airport
  • Helsinki Airport

As a Centurion member, you and your supplementary cardholder may bring two guests each through Fast Track.

All you have to do is show your boarding pass and your card, and the benefit apply no matter which airline you are traveling with.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 1:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, OZ Diamond, LH Silver
Originally Posted by epigram
Hi

They recognize Centurion as well. No need to be worried.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 5:15 am

Thanks for the helpful information!

I was worried because the Finland AMEX page only mentioned Platinumhttps://www.americanexpress.com/fi/edut/the-platinum-card/fast-track.html

Last edited by epigram; Jun 11, 2022 at 11:00 pm
Old Jun 21, 2022, 5:15 am

Programs: AY Silver. HHonors Gold & the other shiny cards you get with the AX plat
Devaluation of Membership Rewards starting 1.9.2022. Link
0,0035 € per point when paying the bill.
Hotels and airlines:
  • SAS: 11 Membership Rewards-pistettä vastaa 5 EuroBonus Extra -pistettä.
  • British Airways: 17 Membership Rewards-pistettä vastaa 10 Avios-pistettä.
  • Air France / KLM: 23 Membership Rewards-pistettä vastaa 10 Flying Blue Miles -pistettä.
  • Iberia: 17 Membership Rewards-pistettä vastaa 10 Avios-pistettä.
  • Delta: 3 Membership Rewards-pistettä vastaa 1 SkyMiles®-pistettä.
  • Finnair: 17 Membership Rewards-pistettä vastaa 10 Finnair Plus -pistettä.
  • Hilton: 6 Membership Rewards-pistettä vastaa 5 Hilton Honors -pistettä.
  • Radisson: 7 Membership Rewards-pistettä vastaa 10 Radisson-pistettä.
joorinainen and FFlash like this.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 5:20 am

Programs: AY+ Plat basic
Thanks. I still haven't found anything better than just pay the bill with those points with that 0,5 % rakeback. Changing to other programs seems quite bad.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 5:38 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
There has been a lot of discussions in sweden, where similar "enhancements" were announced too.
It appears Amex is moving in the direction of events and promos as main "perks", and removing and/or making all travel related perks worse off.

So expect more of "x€ dining credit at select restaurants" and less of travel related perks in the future.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 5:53 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Looks like I may just have to let go of AX plat now, just the lounge alone does not justify keeping it and making charges on it makes NO sense with those points rates. I GET WAY MORE cashback pr points on every other card I use so for a few hundred euros I can buy a unlimited lounge pass so just no use as those dining offera offer me no value...

I will miss the insurance but thats just life 😀
Old Jun 21, 2022, 6:25 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by TapioR
Devaluation of Membership Rewards starting 1.9.2022. Link
0,0035 € per point when paying the bill.
Hotels and airlines:
  • SAS: 11 Membership Rewards-pistettä vastaa 5 EuroBonus Extra -pistettä.
  • British Airways: 17 Membership Rewards-pistettä vastaa 10 Avios-pistettä.
  • Air France / KLM: 23 Membership Rewards-pistettä vastaa 10 Flying Blue Miles -pistettä.
  • Iberia: 17 Membership Rewards-pistettä vastaa 10 Avios-pistettä.
  • Delta: 3 Membership Rewards-pistettä vastaa 1 SkyMiles®-pistettä.
  • Finnair: 17 Membership Rewards-pistettä vastaa 10 Finnair Plus -pistettä.
  • Hilton: 6 Membership Rewards-pistettä vastaa 5 Hilton Honors -pistettä.
  • Radisson: 7 Membership Rewards-pistettä vastaa 10 Radisson-pistettä.
Devaluation percentages:
BA Executive Club: -26,47 %
Delta SkyMiles: -50,00 %
Finnair Plus: -26,47 %
Flying Blue: -34,78 %
Iberia Plus: -26,47 %
SAS Eurobonus: -43,18 %
Hilton Honors: -16,67 %
MaRiot: -100,00 % (gone from 1st Sep)
Radisson Rewards: -28,57 %
McCarran likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 6:34 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
It seems Amex Finland didn't "enhance" as well as Sweden:

Devaluation percentages, For swedish MR to Airlines points
Air France/KLM -66%
British Airways -45%
Delta -75%
Finnair -45%
Hilton -38%
Iberia -45%
Qatar -59%
Radisson -38%
SAS -45%
Thai -71%

1MR = 0,0028 SEK ≈ 0,00025€ when paying the bill (-44% value)

Last edited by intuition; Jun 21, 2022 at 6:41 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.