Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

American Express in Finland - 2020 and onward

American Express in Finland - 2020 and onward

Old Oct 1, 2021, 8:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, OZ Diamond, LH Silver
Originally Posted by Andy70
Great…same here!
Did u accept? Received the Card allready? Do you have any idea, weather it is possible to change additional cardholder name later if U Wish or not?

I was also wondering why Finnish C doesn’t seem to include SAS gold as in other Nordic countries.. Any other flight bennies included?
I haven't decided yet. They have made a nice looking 19 page brochure about Centurion benefits but truth to be told the benefits are mostly the same or not that different than with the Platinum card. No airline benefits as I understand it, just some additional hotel and rental car statuses.

For me one of the setbacks is that Centurion comes with only 1 additional card holder (Centurion) + 8 green cards. Even Platinum comes with 1 Platinum + 4 Gold additional cards which is very useful for our family. Also no mention about the Membership Rewards program for the Centurion card. Wonder if there is any difference?

Without Yrittaja's post #131 in this thread I would have already declined the offer. But now I am still left pondering if those undocumented benefits such as gift cards and cash backs could make it worth the 3500€/year + 3500€ joining fee.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 11:05 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by haapalainen
I haven't decided yet. They have made a nice looking 19 page brochure about Centurion benefits but truth to be told the benefits are mostly the same or not that different than with the Platinum card. No airline benefits as I understand it, just some additional hotel and rental car statuses.

For me one of the setbacks is that Centurion comes with only 1 additional card holder (Centurion) + 8 green cards. Even Platinum comes with 1 Platinum + 4 Gold additional cards which is very useful for our family. Also no mention about the Membership Rewards program for the Centurion card. Wonder if there is any difference?

Without Yrittaja's post #131 in this thread I would have already declined the offer. But now I am still left pondering if those undocumented benefits such as gift cards and cash backs could make it worth the 3500€/year + 3500€ joining fee.
Centurion Lounge benefits are better for black card holders, you get access at anytime including on arrival plus you can bring your immediate family instead of just 2 guests. In the US you get reserved seating which is great given how crowded these lounges are. Some locations like HKG and EZE have a separate section for black holders. Pontus at ARN gives you access to not only a separate section but more food and drinks to choose from.
TTL and Andy70 like this.
Old Oct 4, 2021, 6:01 pm

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
I have tried to refrain from replying to this thread, since I do indeed seriously consider this thread to be misplaced, as this is a thread for a charge card in a specific market, not an airline co-branded charge card like e.g. the BA AMEX. Be it that maybe the thread would be more passive in the correct subforum, as remymartin suggested, but what's the point of subforum classifications, if the order isn't adhered to?

I know many will consider that I'm nitpicking and me being stubborn, but the fact of the matter is that it's not like all Finland-based frequent flyers are 1) AY/OW loyal or 2) AY+ loyal. Sorry, but this still is an open market and we don't all do SU in the USSR. Now, there you have it, chaps and chapettes - my annoyance with stereotype based assumptions. For instance, there's plenty of those doing SK EuroBonus in Finland and for those it's really unfair to have the misplaced discussion here. I'm sorry to say, but I stick to my opinion on the classification issue.

Now, back to the question at hand, since I don't want to leave a fellow FT'er without the information nobody had yet come forward with.

Also no mention about the Membership Rewards program for the Centurion card. Wonder if there is any difference?
Indeed, that detail isn't mentioned anywhere. But I'd say it's part of keeping a bit secrecy around the card.

But now I am still left pondering if those undocumented benefits such as gift cards and cash backs could make it worth the 3500€/year + 3500€ joining fee.
Don't count on any added onetime/promotional experiences/benefits, since they're a purely added bonus and it's not guaranteed what will be available in the future. If you want to be meticulous while juxtaposing a ROI calculation for the Centurion card, you need to take into consideration your travel patterns and which services you know you'd have use for. How much do you rent cars? Which hotels do you tend to stay at and how likely are you to get upgrades? Do you tend to book e.g. Conrad or Four Seasons via AMEX Travel & Lifestyle? Do you tend to book international C or F tickets via AMEX & Travel Lifestyle to destinations outside Europe, e.g. JNB or ORD?

Also I suggest you read into the actual AMEX threads on FT, since the topic has been covered a lot. And no, for any added value, the issue isn't US vs. the rest, but how the card gets recognition. If you are a shopping maven (or the possible missus is ) and e.g. LV (not the soap ) is a household staple, then yes, there can be added value.

Overall it's a lifestyle card and the advantages are probably hard to justify, unless you can calculate some numerical ROI value for the card by hitting the threshold for any spending bonus campaign.

Last edited by Flying Yazata; Oct 4, 2021 at 6:20 pm
Old Oct 4, 2021, 6:16 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Flying Yazata
I have tried to refrain from replying to this thread, since I do indeed seriously consider this thread to be misplaced, as this is a thread for a charge card in a specific market, not an airline co-branded charge card like e.g. the BA AMEX. Be it that maybe the thread would be more passive in the correct subforum, as remymartin suggested, but what's the point of subforum classifications, if the order isn't adhered to?

I know many will consider that I'm nitpicking and me being stubborn, but the fact of the matter is that it's not like all Finland-based frequent flyers are 1) AY/OW loyal or 2) AY+ loyal. Sorry, but this still is an open market and we don't all do SU in the USSR. Now, there you have it, chaps and chapettes - my annoyance with stereotype based assumptions. For instance, there's plenty of those doing SK EuroBonus in Finland and for those it's really unfair to have the misplaced discussion here. I'm sorry to say, but I stick to my opinion on the classification issue.
IMO 99% of FT Finns focus on this forum primarily so I think this is indeed the most practical place for this thread and a few not entirely AY related ones as cluttered as it sometimes gets.
nordic, TTL and FFlash like this.
Old Oct 4, 2021, 10:43 pm

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
IMO 99% of FT Finns focus on this forum primarily so I think this is indeed the most practical place for this thread and a few not entirely AY related ones as cluttered as it sometimes gets.
Indeed I tend to agree, this year I hate ay again 🤣🤣 yet here I am even though my next flights are booked all on AF and SK not a single ay booking in my name.

Tbh the only non airline subforum I visit is CC and Secret santa threads, if this were to move thats fine by me I would just post in the höpö höpö thread

90% (my number not reality) of the world gets better offers and deals then the Finnish market for AMEX can you imagine how depressing that subforum would be to read for Finns? 😆😆😆
miamiflyer8 likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 2:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by kauppias
90% (my number not reality) of the world gets better offers and deals then the Finnish market for AMEX can you imagine how depressing that subforum would be to read for Finns? 😆😆😆
So who're the 10% getting even less love from AX?
FFlash likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 2:40 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
I have tried to refrain from replying to this thread, since I do indeed seriously consider this thread to be misplaced, as this is a thread for a charge card in a specific market, not an airline co-branded charge card like e.g. the BA AMEX. ....
It is not that it bothers me the thread is here, but I agree it is misplaced. A Finnair-branded card would be a different story.

Perhaps the fact that credit-card market in Finland isn't very developed is an explanation. In a market with many card options and developed point echo-system I think separating the discussions would come more naturally. But the forum members happily discuss s-kortti and such, so an Amex fit that perspective.

It is actually the same situation with destination-related questions. Non-regulars often come to the AY+-forum to ask about connections, hotels, transports, to-dos and so on. Technically such things should go to the "Nordic region" forum in destinations, but they usually end up here. In theory, a dedicated destination forum would benefit all, including Finland the country. In practice, as there are rather few active Finland/Finnair pundits, it seems they don't roam much outside the AY+ section there is not critical mass in destination et.al fora.

...but the fact of the matter is that it's not like all Finland-based frequent flyers are 1) AY/OW loyal or 2) AY+ loyal. ....
Correct. Also, a lot of AY+ fans are neither Finns, nor Finland based. I guess it is related to Finnair having such a monumental marketing position i Finland, but it would be wrong to limit oneself to the assumption Finnair = Finland.
Or as my highschool math teacher would have put it. "Even if all Finns are Finnair plus member, there is no logical base to assume the reverse; that all finnair plus members are Finns."

As for practicality; well once you have posted in the thread you are auto-subscribed to it. So regardless of its placement, those interested in ut could still easily access it.
Flying Yazata and kauppias like this.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 4:20 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
So who're the 10% getting even less love from AX?
well I wrote that tongue in cheek but were included in the 10% I am sure there are some other places with little to no benefits 😀
Old Oct 5, 2021, 5:17 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest, BT Exec
Tried Centurion application today... after 30+ years as gold/plat-customer and less than 2 years of cutoff. Interested to see what happens. I was not a big spender using Plat. But the according, the privileges of Centurion seem quite inviting.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 7:53 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
The thing is, so is all discussion about Finavia, Helsinki Airport and its non-AY lounges (Plaza Premium, Aspire, SAS) as well - would you prefer all of these are split into various subfora?
Old Oct 5, 2021, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by intuition
It is actually the same situation with destination-related questions. Non-regulars often come to the AY+-forum to ask about connections, hotels, transports, to-dos and so on. Technically such things should go to the "Nordic region" forum in destinations, but they usually end up here. In theory, a dedicated destination forum would benefit all, including Finland the country. In practice, as there are rather few active Finland/Finnair pundits, it seems they don't roam much outside the AY+ section there is not critical mass in destination et.al fora.
Yes, I've noticed that. The AY related connections are perfectly fine, since anything directly AY related is then treated like in any other airline specific subforum. To me the challenge is that so much of the stuff ends up here, thus following Nordic Region actively is beyond my usual pattern for browsing FlyerTalk. I personally visit this subforum for AY news/topics.

Originally Posted by remymartin
The thing is, so is all discussion about Finavia, Helsinki Airport and its non-AY lounges (Plaza Premium, Aspire, SAS) as well - would you prefer all of these are split into various subfora?
If you'd ask me, the answer is simple: yes. That's precisely what's done with the other countries and airports as well. It's not like there's a separate LHR thread for all things Heathrow in the BA subforum. Yes, there's relevant threads for e.g. connecting to/from BA, but shopping at LHR isn't a topic for the subforum. Obviously there's a reason for why the site administration has sorted the discussions into certain categories and one would assume it's not just for looks, but for maintaining structured discussions. E.g. the thread about Chinese carriers has nothing to do with this subforum, but most of that discussion should be in Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines. If some thread has direct relevance to the airline, then yes, it's not misplaced, but e.g. discussing 3U is not AY.

Sorry, but my inner librarian wants order.
intuition likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 3:29 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Quite useless battle.

As useless as ”a boy in traffic:”
There is the one who wants order and there is a pathway to follow logically, but the boy thinks it is too much work as he sees a shortcut that serves better and faster his need. It is built into us. I also misuse AY forum for misplaced questions, just because I know I will get a better answer and faster.

Nagging on folks on such issue is just encouraging them to leave FT, losing members.
Helsinki Flyer likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 6:08 pm

I browsed the Amex thread and found out that our small thread would die there. There is absolutely nothing else interesting in that thread for Finnair flyers even though I admit that logically this thread would fit there. Let someone start a new thread there where all librarians 😂 could communicate and allow us messier ☺️ people continue here.
Helsinki Flyer likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by nordic
I browsed the Amex thread and found out that our small thread would die there. There is absolutely nothing else interesting in that thread for Finnair flyers even though I admit that logically this thread would fit there.
That's an understatement, since all the international AMEX topics are in the subforum. AMEX is a whole another subject by itself from Finnair. You're also just reaffirming stereotypes regarding Finnair customers by underestimating what's relevant for others.

Well, I've made my point about the AMEX discussion being off-topic.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 4:15 pm

Programs: AY+ Platinum (OWE), Hilton Diamond
IMO an Amex Finland thread fits the Finnair forum really well, even though it technically is off-topic.

I find Amex’s Finland strategy very strange. They seem to be solely focused only on customer acquisiton and not on retention through perks & value. I think by acting like this they create a lot of churn and attrition, which only increases costs. They run huge ads at the airport, and they have also been running huge ads on trams and other public places. On Facebook their ad photos are very focused on talking only about the card being a metal one. IMO that’s totally ridiculous. Should they maybe be talking about the perks instead? Who are they targeting? Do people really pay 720€ per year (plat) for the fact that the card is made of metal?

As a former Plat card holder, I think restaurant discounts and benefits would be a major selling point for Amex here. They could also extend benefits with Wolt, Foodora or Uber. Even lounges can be quite useless for AY Gold/Plat members. They do have the lounge-on-the-go option also with train trips to Tampere, but for me that’s an useless perk as well (with work now mostly being remote).

According to some reports, their customer service also now sucks (nobody answers, regardless of contact channel). You have nobody to call to, nobody cares.

Their concert ticket benefits are also a bit strange ”key perk” IMO. Personally, I go to restaurants a lot, but to concers not that much. Why don’t they just target restaurant and shopping benefits because doesn’t everyone who’s willing to pay for the card also shop and dine?

I canceled my Plat card in 2020 at the height of Covid. I asked them whether they want to compensate on the monthly fee because 99% of benefits were un-usable. I had been using the card for roughly 15k€ of purchases per year. They simply said: no fee cut-down, just cancel the card and re-apply later if you want. So, more churn, more attrition. They don’t care.

I heard they’ve been offering Stockmann credit and some dining credit recently. Please comment on this, do they have enough value for Amex plat to have some value again?

What would I like to see:
150€ hotel/dining credit per year (for example Kämp Collection hotels
150€ food delivery credit per year
150€ shopping credit per year
+ some perks for Helsinki/Tampere/Turku/Oulu dining/shopping.

Those perks already would put me back on board. And i’m quite sure they could work around a good deal with those companies on that.

Last edited by McCarran; Oct 26, 2021 at 4:22 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.