Wrapping up 2020!

Old Nov 3, 2020, 10:35 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by cistavoda
I assume LHE is a typo and the salad bar is working. If it's not, wow! I did see that Pakistan is open for travel.
No typo, enjoying orange Mirinda only. Off to the Walled City tomorrow. Entry into Pakistan was surprisingly smooth although I had to bring forward my travel plans a little as they start requiring covid tests from Finns as of 06NOV.
cistavoda likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2020, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Over there covid tests are the least of your worries...
Old Nov 4, 2020, 2:19 pm

Programs: Oneworld Emerald, EBG
58 flights incl upcoming, mostly on SK :-( (company policy and only available)
7 airlines , AY, SK, WF, PG, DY, MH, RK
9 airports ARN, HEL, OSL, TOS, KKN, KUL, BKK, KBV, FCO
Southernmost KUL
East BKK
West OSL
North KKN
Old Dec 19, 2020, 9:31 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, LH, Accor, IHG, Scandic, Tallink
OK... my plans for the Christmas got ruined, so there will be no more flights in 2020. It's time for me to wrap up the year:
  • 44 flights
    • 12 flights without a muzzle
    • longest HEL-AGP
    • shortest HEL-TLL
  • 1 airline (just AY, including Norra),
  • 8 countries,
  • 11 airports
    • northernmost RVN
    • southern- and westernmost AGP
    • easternmost VNO
Just an "annulus horribilis", both in general and in terms of traveling. I really hope for a better year 2021, but right now my expectations are pretty cautious.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 7:19 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Wrapping up turns out to be crapping up it all...

9 flights in 2020, all in the time-frame jan 1 - jan 12, and the rest of the year spent rebooking and finally cancelling what was left of this hobby. I achieved QR platinum, all for nothing.

36 819 km (65% of it in first, the rest in business)
Northernmost: CPH
Westernmost: FRA
Southern- and easternmost: HBA
New airports: 1 - TUN Carthage International Airport

With 9 flights, it doesn't really make sense of doing a top-10 this year, but here goes:

Future?
In 2021 I've got 6 flights booked, in Q1-Q2. No longhauls, only EU flights (including UK-SAR). I've learned my lessons from this year and no positioning flights are booked. It is very likely most/all of booked flights will get cancelled or have schedule change and/or entry restrictions will hinder me from going as per current schedule and I am not spending more time monitor and fight airlines for changes/refunds.
All flights booked are full flex business and I have little hope of doing them at all.
2021 will very likely mean the end of flying hobby, losing AY plat, QR plat and A3 gold. I will gain Lifetime plat with Nordic Choice though, but is an etirely different hobby.
ffay005 and cistavoda like this.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 8:06 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, SK Gold, BT VIP, Radisson Premium, Accor Platinum
A very limited year for me as well
  • 43 flights (24 Finnair, 10 airBaltic, 5 Turkish, 4 EasyJet)
  • 9 airports (TMP, HEL, IST, TXL, HAM, LHR, PRG, RIX, TLL)
Old Dec 21, 2020, 4:04 am

Programs: AY Platinum Lumo, LX Senator, SK Life-time Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I also need to document this exceptional year. A lot of traveling from January to early March and only 5 segments after that. I had so many cancelled trips that my credit card balance has stayed positive since April without any payments and will continue to do that still during the next months.

Unique Airports: 15
Carriers: 7 (Finnair, British Airways, Swiss, SAS, Japan Airlines, Qantas, United)
Countries: 10
Segments: 41

Total flown: 114 924 km
Longest: Tokyo Narita - Frankfurt
Shortest: Helsinki Stockholm Arlanda

Northernmost: Helsinki
Southernmost: Melbourne
Westernmost: Minneapolis
Easternmost: Sydney

Renewals: not so important because most of the status will be maintained in any case. My AY points generated in 2020 would have been enough to reach AY Plat.

Old Dec 21, 2020, 6:39 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
I cannot recall a slower year:

In mid-February I did ATL-DEN-ATL on Southwest, and after that things started getting ugly. All trips, both domestic and intl got cancelled. However, now in December I had to do an essential 4 day trip to Stockholm. So I took DL from ATL to EWR in Comfort+ and SK EWR-CPH-ARN, returned on Sat with BA ARN-LHR-ATL all in J. Being a regular on AY 5 and AY 9, I never set foot on an A350 until SK910. LHR-ATL was a B789 so also a first for me.

If anyone is interested in hearing about the flights themselves then I'll post in the experiences thread.

SPBanker likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 9:03 am

First year in a long time without a new country visited. I strongly contemplated doing a December trip to somewhere like Pakistan but figured it was too much trouble in the end. One more trip to go this year, a second trip to Mexico.

In total, I stepped foot in 5 countries (USA, Mexico, Netherlands, Finland and Italy). Longest flight was HEL-LAX, but will be beat by CDG-MEX later this year.

New airports: SAN, TIJ, CAG, VCE, RVN
Old airports: SAT, PHX, MEX, JFK, AMS, HEL, MXP, FCO, CDG (to come)

One highlight was definitely the TWA Hotel, where I stayed just as the pandemic started raging. I had arrived in the US just after Trump announced the travel ban, just and just making it in. Another was visiting Venice without the crowds but also before the Italian lockdown, so bars and restaurants were open (with limited hours).

edit: I am a little bit scared though that this new strain will screw up my end-of-year travel plans. Finland (where I'm spending Xmas) looks relatively safe, but the Netherlands (where I'm supposed to fly through) looks like a clear #2 in terms of prevalence, and there is also the risk of places imposing travel bans on all of Europe..
SPBanker likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 1:25 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by mpkz
Another was visiting Venice without the crowds but also before the Italian lockdown, so bars and restaurants were open (with limited hours
Greetings from Venice. This must be the best year ever to visit the city. San Marco was deserted today, and in the piazzas, children play football and dogs run around. Right now, it's the Venetians' city, plus a few Frenchmen and one Finn whom Sanna and her sisters hate so much.
mpkz and aapee like this.
Old Dec 22, 2020, 7:02 am

Programs: AY+ Gold, SK EBG
As for most of us, a rather uneventful year. Some domestic SK/WF. Was supposed to be HKG and more Asia this summer, but that obviously didn't happen. Got a DEL-Deli done though in early March, with a nice retroactively applied quarantine once I was back in Norway.
Two more segments to go though (counting them here), before we hit 2021!

Airports: 5 (AES, BGO, OSL, HEL, DEL)
Carriers: 3 (AY, SK, WF)
Segments: 12
Countries: 3
Longest: HEL-DEL
Shortest: AES-BGO
Northernmost: AES
Southernmost: DEL
Westernmost: BGO
Easternmost: DEL
Old Dec 22, 2020, 12:06 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by FFlash
Boring for me.
Just OUL all the time.

well not. True I haave only domestic which is a record. KTT, RVN, KUO, TKU.
this is how iT ended for me
Old Dec 22, 2020, 12:53 pm

Programs: AY+, SK EB
22 out of 36 segments done in the first two months.

Airports: 10 (ARN, CPH, CTS, FRA, HEL, MUC, MXP, NUE, TKU, TXL)
Carriers: 3 (AY, LH, SK)
Segments: 36
Countries: 6
Longest: HEL-CTS
Shortest: HEL-TKU
seldomrfly likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2020, 1:13 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, SK Gold
Just after New Year I had 3 segments (DXB - BAH - DXB on GF and DXB - HEL on AY) and with no annual leave for 2019 remaining, I thought I would have a long break in travelling with a short weekend getaway coming in late March, another trip during the Easter and then full speed again from the beginning of May. Well, already the weekend getaway in March got cancelled...

During the summer I managed to do two short trips (4 segments, all on Norra) but since then it has been quiet again and I guess it will remain so until next summer I'm just hoping that vaccine production is quick enough so that travel could open already during the summer. Although I enjoy spending time home and how relaxed life is now, I can feel the enthusiasm within me when thinking of long haul travelling opening up again.
LoungeEnthusiast likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 2:31 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, TK Elite
This year....

Airports: 8 (new LGK, SYD, SIN, HKG, HEL, TTL, LHR, SZG)
Segments: 18
Carriers: 5 (AY, AK, BA, BT, CX)
Countries: 8 - ZERO new countries
Distance: 54564km
Longest: HKG-HEL
Shortest: HEL-TLL
All of the flying was said and done by 22nd of February.

Currently 0 flights booked.
I will probably need a MR to get those missing 45k points I need to requalify before August.
If Australia opens borders at all.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.