Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair OnBoard Menu

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2021, 10:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by kauppias
But AY is making big changes now in the air and on the ground, I just hope they don't end up regretting it too severely... i spoke with some co-workers who said it aptly so why should they choose AY Y now over DY? I opted for option#3 but how many will choose more for less?
I think the calculus at the AY offices is that DY will not have a significant presence in HEL for a long time (which may well be a mistake because I think DY can scale up quite quickly if the market recovers and shorthaul from HEL wasn't a hugely unprofitable business) so therefore the competition on European routes is 1 connection away.. but I also do not see much of a reason to choose AY over KL right now in Y (being AMS based means that KL's 3-4 flights are very attractive vs. AY's 1, but even someone based in HEL flying somewhere other than AMS is likely to find KL's scheduling more convenient than AY's 1 daily to most destinations)
kauppias likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 11:00 am

Programs: AY Platinum, LH, Accor, IHG, Scandic, Tallink
Taking slightly over 2h European AY flight in J on Sep 2nd. Returning two days later. Very curious to see how the new concept is executed.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 11:31 am

BA used to carry quite a few leisure travellers in C (both Finns and Britons) btw HEL-LHR. But of course their pricing was a lot less than what AY is offering now. So the leisure C market is there when the price is right and the service is of a hood quality.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 11:33 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by nordic
the service is of a hood quality.
I think we can all agree on the hood quality service part here
intuition, FFlash and kauppias like this.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 11:46 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by sakari1707
improvements, right!
it'll be no free coffee anymore (for a coffee loving country, that is unbelievable).
no drinks on european Y-flights (only wine, beer)
no soft drinks on onboard menu?
no hot meals on most euro-J flights, one cold choice....

really, is this improvement?
And I see no liquor on this menu either, I guess now it's Viinaa ei mene ollenkaan 😂
esledo, FFlash, on22cz and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 11:53 am

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
And I see no liquor on this menu either, I guess now it's Viinaa ei mene ollenkaan 😂
Yes, and also new l/h J catering and beverage selection is a big mystery so far.

Imagine that those HEL-MIA and the likes will be a lot quieter and dryer this winter than what they were pre-COVID.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 12:09 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by esledo
Yes, and also new l/h J catering and beverage selection is a big mystery so far.

Imagine that those HEL-MIA and the likes will be a lot quieter and dryer this winter than what they were pre-COVID.
I am surprised if HEL-MIA ends up operating at all, given that the Kamala admin isn't looking to lift the Schengen travel ban any time soon.

Not only the beverage selection, the meal service is downright depressing on HEL-JFK

Now:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33523024-post1481.html

Pre-pandemic:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31194760-post356.html
ffay005 and esledo like this.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 12:47 pm

Programs: AYPlat, BASilver, SQG
All very depressing.
Was going to move from BA (now OWE) to catch AY Plat (now Gold), but maybe not.....
Probably best to just burn all the points and forget status.....

Btw I was wrong saying no soft drinks on the onboard menu, there is coke zero (but that's it...)
esledo likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 1:02 pm

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Obviously I don't like the changes. For me it's more of an indirect devaluation of upgrade vouchers and points though, as I only once was ticketed in AY J on a purely S/H ticket (summer 2020 sale). I mean, why bother applying for a business upgrades if it gives me just a sandwich? I could just as well buy for a few €'s at the Aleppa in HEL 2B arrivals at normal prices, or if I somehow forgot to do so, at whatever extortionate prices from an air-side vendor.

With that said, Finnair never intended to cater to hobby fliers (especially not the kind that optimises fares). I believe that most (pre-pandemic) frequent fliers were either people who were forced and/or liked to fly a lot for professional, familial or other reasons - not people flying (mostly) for its own sake and/or reaching Finnair Plus tiers.

Furthermore, nothing is permanent. Finnair was in an absolutely bad (as all airlines), yet relatively good (financially), position at the beginning of the pandemic. Now it is in a particularly bad position because of its uniquely high dependency on Europe-Asia traffic. Cutting every possible corners is understandable, and (as a Finnish taxpayer) even expectable. In all likelihood, there will be further changes sooner rather than later, in one direction or the other. To paraphrase a French proverb, it is urgent to wait-and-see.

Again, I understand that everybody (incl. myself) is pissed with the last announcements. But I also feel that negative feedback is pointless and vain at this time.
SPBanker, jann3 and kanamurva like this.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 11:03 pm

Programs: AY Plat Lumo
Originally Posted by Bdsm
What else you greedy flyers want?
Somewhere to spend our €€€ and get something in return.
sueco6, Dover2Golf, temppa and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 1, 2021, 12:31 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by cistavoda
Somewhere to spend our €€€ and get something in return.
Scary team offers that 😄👍

But in all seriousness I thought I was safe from the dreaded Fish J meals and then looked at my next 6 AF J trips booked there are 3 AY operated flights there so I have to work on changing those to the AF or KLM operated flights, luckily changes are easier at AF/KLM....

Without a meal and full bar service AY "J" just does not appeal!
Old Sep 1, 2021, 1:24 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum / FlyingBlue Gold
What a disgrace, and the way they present it…. as if this is the customers having asked for these changes.

Absolutely awful. Come on, what is this crap? Really hoping FinnairPlus_Ela could pass on our feedback to the right department, but not having any hopes they’ll be listening.

They’ll continue listening to their fairytale customers asking for more and more “enhancements”, and that’s what we’ll be getting.

QR it is for long haul for me. Will burn my points on award flights probably, not worth the SH upgrades
ffay005, esledo and Olperoo like this.
Old Sep 1, 2021, 1:33 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Not my own picture (from a Facebook group), but for comparison, here is what QR is providing for the short bounce between DOH and DXB... I know that we shouldn't compare, but still the difference is so striking.

Old Sep 1, 2021, 1:35 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN

'How can we best present three mini bites? Lets use the largest plate in the selection!'
esledo, miamiflyer8 and Steve_Hun like this.
Old Sep 1, 2021, 1:57 am

Programs: AY Platinum
All this is very disappointing. But I guess in the end, this will turn things like Y coffee and tea from being a cost to a tiny source of income. And I think it fits the general pattern where the service is focussed on the occasional traveller who flies AY once a year, whose expectations are low anyway and he (she) won't remember what the service was like when he flew last time. And he gets to admire the design paper cup and napkin while sipping on his complimentary juice and - who knows - might even feel satisfied with what he gets.

I also hate the idea how the "illaksi kotiin" concept will now work in J: Home-bound after a day in Europe, you'll get the lettuce, cracker and peanut based snack in an outstation lounge like always, then another delicious and high-quality snack onboard and arrive home hungry.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.