Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair OnBoard Menu

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2021, 6:30 am

Programs: AY+
Originally Posted by kauppias
——I wholeheartedly recommend everyone give feedback on this!
Already did when I called Janica to cancel a few trips. Told her how I absolutely love these improvements (regarding both the lounge and the on-board menu) and that it was about time. She duly agreed and promised to forward my heart-warming feedback to the appropriate department, though IRL nothing's gonna happen.
esledo, Steve_Hun and kauppias like this.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 6:35 am

Not everything is going downhill. The prices went uphill when they introduced the restricted business class fares.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 6:41 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by nordic
Not everything is going downhill. The prices went uphill when they introduced the restricted business class fares.
"Customers have told us they are happy to pay more to get less".
cistavoda, Steve_Hun and kauppias like this.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 6:45 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
They really must think their customers are STUPID to try to pass this on as a change that was requested by passangers 😂😂😂

I had missed the part of the deal where free coffee and tea is gone too 👍

Why would anyone pay to fly AY Y now vs DY or SK? What differentiates them anymore from a LCC? For me AY J is not a option anymore on shorthaul as I cannot eat fish so I guess I made the right call in July as I will be platinum on AF/KLM on Friday 😂😂

But seriously do they think this is going to improve their brand desirebility?

They are very lost in their ivory tower lala land!!!
Old Aug 31, 2021, 7:02 am

Programs: LH SEN
They are very lost in their ivory tower lala land!!!
To me this (catering change, business light without lounge and other amenities, etc.) looks as calculated and conscious decision to get AY's euro-C product more akin as SK Plus is, i.e. premium economy.

As we know, this idea that AY would like to get rid of European business class and replace it with a premium economy product is not completely new here on FT. Previously euro-C's existence has been justified by AY's long-haul connections to Asia. Well, for the moment those connections and that business model are long gone so what would be a better time to revamp the whole airline?
remymartin likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 7:06 am

Programs: AY+ Lumo, HH Diamond
Customer service is obviously always the number one factor in customer experience, but food is also very high up. That is why we are happy that we've been able to rethink what our customers want the food service to be now,” says Maarit Keränen, Head of Inflight Food and Beverage Concept.

If I was still a shareholder of Finnair I'd vote for a change of leadership (and had enough shares ...). I'm amazed how ignorant they can be of realities, and this added spin that it's us customers who want this is just insult to injury. Why would you want to insult your customers?

What we've seen is typical of Finnish corporate world in my experience, though. Inexplicable arrogance in hiring attitudes, inability to be international, and down they all go. Nokia, Hesburger, now Finnair.
florens and esledo like this.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by nordic
Good one!

Why would anyone pay to fly AY Y now vs DY or SK? What differentiates them anymore from a LCC?
The pricing does
ffay005, sueco6 and kauppias like this.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 7:12 am

It'd be fun to be on a few flights during the next few days when this new on-board menu concept launches; just to see how people react on the "Here's your coffee, sir. That'd be 2,5 EUR". Oh wait, they'll be delighted as this is what we wanted
Steve_Hun and kauppias like this.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 7:28 am

Programs: HappinesSMiles Silver
Originally Posted by esledo
Out of interest I asked chat whether this rainbow trout is going to be offered also as the breakfast on 1-3 hour flights in C and how about LHR flights where scheduled outbound flight time is over 3 hrs but return is under 3 hrs.

Of course chat did not have any information about the meals served onboard. Thankfully this is so well implemented that everyone at AY has proper time to familiriaze their new. The carts roll out to the aisles only tomorrow morning after all.
My chat confirmed London flight to have warm meal both ways in the new normal.
ffay005, UpperDeck87K and kauppias like this.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 8:13 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by olperoo
:d:d:d good one!

The pricing does :d
very true 🤦🤣🤣🤣🤣

On my flight from CDG-HEL on AF I had a nice option of two different hot dishes, yes a OPTION 🤣🤣 I chose both and they were very tasty 😄🍻

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Aug 31, 2021 at 10:06 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same member
Old Aug 31, 2021, 8:46 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by esledo
To me this (catering change, business light without lounge and other amenities, etc.) looks as calculated and conscious decision to get AY's euro-C product more akin as SK Plus is, i.e. premium economy.

As we know, this idea that AY would like to get rid of European business class and replace it with a premium economy product is not completely new here on FT. Previously euro-C's existence has been justified by AY's long-haul connections to Asia. Well, for the moment those connections and that business model are long gone so what would be a better time to revamp the whole airline?
It would be very silly to revamp the business model based on a temporary suspension of travel.

My guesses on the rationale for changes in J:
1) Connecting passengers from Asia rate the experience based on the longest flight and the lounge, not on whether the short haul meal was fish or something else. Really, the impression (and hence price sensitivity) is 90% determined by the longer segment and the airport experience - the shorter segment can only damage the impression if it is done really badly, but I don't think this is bad enough to do it, not even close..
2) Contrary to what you might believe from reading FT, there are virtually no paying leisure flyers in C on HEL O&D routes (edit: short-haul). Ice hockey players, (former) Nokia executives, Supercell founders, I've sat in the back on flights with all of them, it's just not a very Finnish thing to do to pay a premium for a warm meal. So therefore this market (which IS quality conscious) does not need to be catered to.
3) Intra-Europe business travel, the market that WAS being catered to before, will be hit hard by COVID & the long-term shift to online. Therefore if you can cut costs on kitchens (though I don't know how big of a cost center this ever was), maybe it makes sense to do so. Though I am not sure how sensitive this segment is to food on board.

The Y changes are the ones that shock me a bit more because they seem short-sighted and actually something that may have been in reaction to the pandemic. Maybe market research already showed that Finns ALREADY think of AY as a budget carrier, but charging for coffee sounds like the kind of move that will anger O&D flyers and push them towards other airlines. For instance, I am not sure whether Finns perceive KL as being significantly different from AY right now, but after this change and a bit of flying, they surely will, and might be less price sensitive when they see a KL flight. And KL and LH can offer pretty significant competition on almost any O&D route outside of the Nordics and Eastern Europe. Once again, I think connecting passengers will care more about the long flight, but not getting a coffee or tea on the 2.5 hour connection to Paris may turn some off as well (but I think the hit to O&D passengers will be bigger).

I get that every euro per passenger that Finnair extracts is a huge difference to their bottom line but if it comes at the cost of making O&D pax much more price sensitive, it may well hurt them in the long run. Maybe they thought with Norwegian gone, they have no direct competition on most routes? Still seems a bit short-sighted given that LH and KL can offer really short connections to a wider range of cities.

Last edited by mpkz; Aug 31, 2021 at 9:27 am
Old Aug 31, 2021, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by mpkz
It would be very silly to revamp the business model based on a temporary suspension of travel.

My guesses on the rationale for changes in J:
1) Connecting passengers from Asia rate the experience based on the longest flight and the lounge, not on whether the short haul meal was fish or something else. Really, the impression (and hence price sensitivity) is 90% determined by the longer segment and the airport experience - the shorter segment can only damage the impression if it is done really badly, but I don't think this is bad enough to do it, not even close..
2) Contrary to what you might believe from reading FT, there are virtually no paying leisure flyers in C on HEL O&D routes. Ice hockey players, (former) Nokia executives, Supercell founders, I've sat in the back on flights with all of them, it's just not a very Finnish thing to do to pay a premium for a warm meal. So therefore this market (which IS quality conscious) does not need to be catered to.
3) Intra-Europe business travel, the market that WAS being catered to before, will be hit hard by COVID & the long-term shift to online. Therefore if you can cut costs on kitchens (though I don't know how big of a cost center this ever was), maybe it makes sense to do so. Though I am not sure how sensitive this segment is to food on board.

The Y changes are the ones that shock me a bit more because they seem short-sighted and actually something that may have been in reaction to the pandemic. Maybe market research already showed that Finns ALREADY think of AY as a budget carrier, but charging for coffee sounds like the kind of move that will anger O&D flyers and push them towards other airlines. For instance, I am not sure whether Finns perceive KL as being significantly different from AY right now, but after this change and a bit of flying, they surely will, and might be less price sensitive when they see a KL flight. And KL and LH can offer pretty significant competition on almost any O&D route outside of the Nordics and Eastern Europe. Once again, I think connecting passengers will care more about the long flight, but not getting a coffee or tea on the 2.5 hour connection to Paris may turn some off as well (but I think the hit to O&D passengers will be bigger).

I get that every euro per passenger that Finnair extracts is a huge difference to their bottom line but if it comes at the cost of making O&D pax much more price sensitive, it may well hurt them in the long run. Maybe they thought with Norwegian gone, they have no direct competition on most routes? Still seems a bit short-sighted given that LH and KL can offer really short connections to a wider range of cities.
Indeed, a very good summary.

On a recent KLM flight to AMS I was in Y (my only Y experi nice with them) and I chatted with a few Finnish ladies of a more mature nature 😄 who live in the US and they thought the KLM Y experience was very spot on. Free coffee a free sandwich and very decent seat for Y, and looking at the loads the price makes a difference, that Y ticket for me 3 days before departure was 77€ one way including another flight from AMS.

But AY is making big changes now in the air and on the ground, I just hope they don't end up regretting it too severely... i spoke with some co-workers who said it aptly so why should they choose AY Y now over DY? I opted for option#3 but how many will choose more for less?
Old Aug 31, 2021, 9:28 am

Why is it so difficult to get basic communication to work with this company? It's not the first time there's ambiguity and conflicting infos.

https://www.finnair.com/fi-en/nordic...ort-haul-meals

We serve our Business Class passengers on short-haul flights a sandwich, a cold fresh meal with bread or a three-course meal depending on the flight time, complemented with a selection of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages.

But in Finnish: https://www.finnair.com/fi-fi/nordic...idän-lennoilla

Tarjoilemme businessluokassa Euroopan- ja Lähi-idän lennoillamme herkullisen voileipäaterian tai kolmen ruokalajin aterian lentoajasta riippuen. Virvokkeet ja alkoholilliset juomat täydentävät aterian.
ffay005, intuition, esledo and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 9:32 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
You can also use Finnair Plus points for purchases (P = Finnair Plus points), but points are not granted for menu purchases.
If only we had earned 4200 points for every glass of champagne...

cistavoda and Steve_Hun like this.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by intuition
If only we had earned 4200 points for every glass of champagne...
Upgrade with 10,000 points and drink 2 glasses of champagne to break even. Every glass you drink on top will 'save' you 4200 points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.