Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling to Finland

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2022, 5:31 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Samí Museum Siida is worth a visit in Inari. Inari has a few very good restaurants, but I don’t know if they are open in the summer.

https://siida.fi/en/

Three-hour cruise on Inari Lake is very nice, quite unlike any lake I’ve seen.
Ed Size and napapiiri like this.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 10:15 am

Programs: AY Lumo, AF Platinum
Originally Posted by SPBanker
Samí Museum Siida is worth a visit in Inari. Inari has a few very good restaurants, but I don’t know if they are open in the summer.

i second this. The lake cruise and museum are fantastic. Hotel Inari is walking distance from both and has an excellent restaurant.
Ed Size likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 10:26 am

Programs: HappinesSMiles Silver
Originally Posted by SPBanker

Around Inari there aren't many exceptionally good restaurants. Apart from one. Aanaar restaurant located at Kultahovi hotel at village of Inari. Good idea for spending the night combined with the recently renovated Siida museum and Lake Inari cruise. There's short and well maintained walking trail to nearby beautiful rapids. There is also seaplane operator around - good for short sightseeing hops to gasp the nature from the above or you could fly out to the wilderness for a day trip fishing and relaxing next to the campfire. Overall summertime in Lapland is mostly about nature. Hiking, fishing, mountain biking, enjoying the silence, mosquitoes.

Restaurant Aanaar ? Award-winning Aanaar, a restaurant with its roots deep in the tundra of Inari
https://lentopalvelut.fi

Further in the wilderness I can warmly recommend Giellajohka. New riverside cabins are wonderful.

https://www.giellajohka.com
Ed Size and SPBanker like this.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 10:50 am

Aanaar is a really really good restaurant. Hotel has it’s own vibe and history, but far from 5*. Breakfast is a dissapointment after dinner.

I can also recommend hicking into Nattanen summit. Thou if you are not seasoned hicker, I strongly recommend taking the shorter path to summit and back. The full route includes lot of climbing over rocks bigger than you. Views are worth of it. https://www.nationalparks.fi/sompio/trails/description
Old Jul 2, 2022, 12:30 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, IHG Gold, Diners
You can also drive up to Kaunispää, if hiking is not your thing. Saariselkä has some nice restaurants, e.g. in the Lapland hotel.

Kiilopää also has some new cabins that look nice. You can also rent bikes there, also e-bikes, and do a daytrip for instance to Rautulampi lake&hut. Bring your own lunch.

Gjellajohka is great! Nearby is also Muotkanruoktu where you can get great raindeer stew. Also thumbs up for anything related to lake Inari.
Ed Size likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 10:32 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
First time in forever no ID check on TLL-HEL on AY.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 5:03 am

Programs: LuxExpress VIP
That must have been a mistake by the gate agent, not a policy change.
florens likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by Ed Size
I m looking forward to my next trip to Lappland, ROV was nicely priced by AY, I ve been there a couple of times now and came to a point where I need some tips on "What to do/Where to go" So any suggestions from you guys? We will be there in early August, renting a car and planing to go to the Nordkap. So just let me know what are the "must dos" in that region, no matter if its nature, hotels, food or whatever come to your mind.
What you'll need Ed, is mosquito repellant - a lot of it. August in Lapland is mosquito time
Steve_Hun likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 5:26 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Originally Posted by vanaema78
That must have been a mistake by the gate agent, not a policy change.
Why? IDs seem to be very rarely checked on intra-Schengen flights. I wonder whose policy it is to check those (I doubt AY’s since they never check them ex-HEL).
Old Jul 8, 2022, 5:36 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Originally Posted by lkrt
Why? IDs seem to be very rarely checked on intra-Schengen flights. I wonder whose policy it is to check those (I doubt AY’s since they never check them ex-HEL).
At least in BUD is SOP. Always wondered if that is a country specific requirement or just the airport/ground handling company who decides to make it part of their procedure?
Old Jul 8, 2022, 6:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
What you'll need Ed, is mosquito repellant - a lot of it. August in Lapland is mosquito time
Thats something I know from my first trip, DEET is my friend.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 6:16 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo
Eco reminder: Keep mosquito repellants away from all bodies of water. While they are annoying to mosquitoes, they are extremely toxic to aquatic life
Steve_Hun likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 8:35 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by cistavoda
Eco reminder: Keep mosquito repellants away from all bodies of water. While they are annoying to mosquitoes, they are extremely toxic to aquatic life
And businetic reminder, keep all water away from flyertalkmosquitos while aqua is extremely toxic and repellant to whining hoards who suck red cocktails like crazy
cistavoda likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by FFlash
And businetic reminder, keep all water away from flyertalkmosquitos while aqua is extremely toxic and repellant to whining hoards who suck red cocktails like crazy

Originally Posted by Dihydrogen Monoxide (DHMO)
DHMO is a constituent of many known toxic substances, diseases and disease-causing agents, environmental hazards and can even be lethal to humans in quantities as small as a thimbleful
Facts About Dihydrogen Monoxide
cistavoda, FFlash and Steve_Hun like this.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 8:23 am

Programs: LuxExpress VIP
Originally Posted by lkrt
My mistake, it was indeed a policy change.
The requirement to check comes (or came) from local law.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.