Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling to Finland

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2020, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Before we swamp Ed with recommendations here, I suggest to revive this thread for the restaurant discussion

Restaurant recommendations in Helsinki
Ed Size and Steve_Hun like this.
Old Aug 17, 2020, 7:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Before we swamp Ed with recommendations here, I suggest to revive this thread for the restaurant discussion

Restaurant recommendations in Helsinki

Thanks for the link. Problem is that even the newest posts there are older then a year. But I gonna try my luck there.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 10:32 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, SK Gold
Seems like updating the entry restrictions has ceased after THL introduced their "traffic signal model" last week. The Schengen countries that were whitelisted in the last update of entry restrictions in mid-August remain to be free of border controls despite of getting an orange color in THL's model. Maybe there won't be any new updates in entry restrictions before the Finnish government gets to agree their internal argument whether or not to proceed with the current model.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 11:52 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
For a resident or national coming back, the THL map and ensuing recommendations apply anyway.

Since Hungary is closed, this leaves only Estonia and Latvia free.

I think that the UM announcements effectively only concern foreign visitors (who may be denied entry altogether).
Old Sep 3, 2020, 2:02 pm

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, SK Gold
Originally Posted by Courmisch
I think that the UM announcements effectively only concern foreign visitors
Exactly. So Italy is now the preferred point of transfer for foreigners wanting to enter Finland.
ffay005 and cistavoda like this.

Last edited by r2d2; Sep 3, 2020 at 2:12 pm
Old Sep 9, 2020, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by r2d2
Exactly. So Italy is now the preferred point of transfer for foreigners wanting to enter Finland.
Rowing across the border from Haaparanta is permitted according to raja.fi rules. Some people might prefer this.

Q: Onko huviveneily Tornionjoella tai Ruotsin ja Suomen välillä mahdollista?

A: Sisärajavalvonta on poistunut Schengen-maiden välisestä huvialusliikenteestä mukaan lukien Suomen ja Ruotsin välinen huvialusliikenne. Huviveneellä ei tarvitse siis käydä rajatarkastuksessa. Merialueen lisäksi huviveneellä on mahdollista saapua maahan myös Suomen ja Ruotsin välisellä jokirajalla (Tornionjoki, Muonionjoki).

Q: Är det möjligt att åka fritidsbåt i Torne älv eller mellan Sverige och Finland?

A: Övervakningen av de inre gränserna har avlägsnats från fritidsbåttrafiken mellan Schengenländerna, inklusive fritidsbåttrafiken mellan Finland och Sverige. En fritidsbåt behöver alltså inte genomgå gränskontroll. Utöver havsområdet är det även möjligt att komma till Finland med fritidsbåt över flodgränsen mellan Finland och Sverige (Torne älv, Muonio älv).
FFlash likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 2:31 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by Im a new user
Rowing across the border from Haaparanta is permitted according to raja.fi rules. Some people might prefer this.

A: Sisärajavalvonta on poistunut Schengen-maiden välisestä huvialusliikenteestä mukaan lukien Suomen ja Ruotsin välinen huvialusliikenne. Huviveneellä ei tarvitse siis käydä rajatarkastuksessa. Merialueen lisäksi huviveneellä on mahdollista saapua maahan myös Suomen ja Ruotsin välisellä jokirajalla (Tornionjoki, Muonionjoki).

Q: Är det möjligt att åka fritidsbåt i Torne älv eller mellan Sverige och Finland?

A: Övervakningen av de inre gränserna har avlägsnats från fritidsbåttrafiken mellan Schengenländerna, inklusive fritidsbåttrafiken mellan Finland och Sverige. En fritidsbåt behöver alltså inte genomgå gränskontroll. Utöver havsområdet är det även möjligt att komma till Finland med fritidsbåt över flodgränsen mellan Finland och Sverige (Torne älv, Muonio älv).
Clever thinking, this is true sport! A true idiot will ask if waterplane counts then as a leisureboat and fly over.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 3:39 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by Im a new user

Slightly odd odd motivation inthere...
So entry for a swede into finland is prohibited, but because Finland didnt implement any border checkpoints for boat arrival it is allowed?

Maybe a good rowing session kills the virus...
ffay005 likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
So a Swede cannot walk across the bridge in Tornio, but can row over, next to the bridge. Is "supla" (stand up paddling board) allowed? Bathing tub?

(I gave up a long time ago hope to find internal logic in Finland's travel rules)

PS - IF (!) Finland really raises the limit to 25 as is rumoured to happen today, then Sweden should be "green"
ffay005 likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 2:31 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
I am sure some joppaus methods are well known in that area, including the supla. Its not a border the locals care about.

And oh, we are at 24 right now, so I think Finland is waiting to announce that 25 limit until we are safely above any green threshold...
(Finland actually did announce the raise to 25/100 000 today, so for now no need for suplas on the river. )

Last edited by intuition; Sep 10, 2020 at 3:11 pm
Old Sep 11, 2020, 1:17 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
If I understand correctly, entry to Finland will look as follows:

Internal border
- if from country with <25, welcome to Finland from 19.9.2020
- if from country with >25, then negative PCR test must be taken before arrival (no details yet on how many hours before max.) and one test on arrival (no details yet about procedure afterwards, i.e. self isolation until results are in or...): from 1.10.2020

I don't understand yet what it means for external borders >25, i.e. UK.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 1:48 pm
Moderator, Finnair

So...
Thursday evening, Finland announced the new entry restriction regime (<25/100k) starting 19/9. On friday a lot of statements like Ohisalo "we are happy to welcome swedes again", "commuting will again be possible" and "we are aiming for regular traffic to return" and Harakka "Finland can now finally welcome it's neighbours". Newspapers in finland printed coloured maps showing all the countries now allowed to travel to finland.
Today, the rolling 14-day average cumulative value for sweden went up to 25,7/100k...

I get that there has to be a limit and perhaps 25 is the correct number. But this just goes to show how fickle everything is. How can anyone expect commuting, regular traffic and so on when not even gonvernment can see one day into the future?
florens likes this.

Last edited by intuition; Sep 12, 2020 at 2:21 pm
Old Sep 12, 2020, 1:56 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Norway, Germany, Poland, Slovakia, Estonia - all hailed as new welcomees yesterday - are also close to the threshold. Slovakia went from 24 to 28 in a day, Norway went from 22 to 24,8. The rest in that group is hoovering at 22. All it takes is one bad day to go from green to red.

IIRC, Denmark implemented a threshold with hysteresis. You need to go past 30 to be moved to red list, and after that you need to go below 20 to be moved back to green list.
Again, the exact number can always be discussed, but at least this system wont see countries flicker between red and green on a daily basis.
ffay005 likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 2:26 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat basic
Originally Posted by intuition
Today, the rolling 14-day average cumulative value for sweden went up to 25,7/100k...
Where did you get this number? I'm not questioning, I'm just curious since yle.fi calculator is still shoving 11.9. 24,xx for Sweden.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 2:32 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by kanamurva
Where did you get this number? I'm not questioning, I'm just curious since yle.fi calculator is still shoving 11.9. 24,xx for Sweden.
Check Iltalehti. It's right on the front page.

Last edited by ffay005; Sep 12, 2020 at 2:57 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.