Traveling to Finland

Old May 17, 2021, 7:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, AY Plat
Originally Posted by ffay005
Wilco, did you take the test at HEL? If yes, could you check if your results were carried over to koronatietoni.fi? My assumption is that even if this is a HUS test, the results do not show up at korontatietoni.fi and you cannot print a certificate.
I am not Wilco, but yes, the results were available at HUS-region koronatietoni.fi portal and ready to be printed. I checked this out of curiosity, when returning in late April.

Personally, I consider doing 3 tests as "responsible" way of travelling back to Finland. First before leaving from abroad, second at HEL airport and third after 72hrs of arrival. Self-isolation until results arrive from test nr. 3.
esledo, mpkz and Steve_Hun like this.
Old May 17, 2021, 7:47 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by Flightson
I am not Wilco, but yes, the results were available at HUS-region koronatietoni.fi portal and ready to be printed. I checked this out of curiosity, when returning in late April.

Personally, I consider doing 3 tests as "responsible" way of travelling back to Finland. First before leaving from abroad, second at HEL airport and third after 72hrs of arrival. Self-isolation until results arrive from test nr. 3.
Great, thanks!
Old May 17, 2021, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by ffay005
Wilco, did you take the test at HEL? If yes, could you check if your results were carried over to koronatietoni.fi? My assumption is that even if this is a HUS test, the results do not show up at korontatietoni.fi and you cannot print a certificate.
Never heard of this site before, but yes, the result is there.
ffay005 likes this.
Old May 17, 2021, 12:26 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by cistavoda
I got a call from the authorities 5 days after arrival from abroad. They told me that I should get tested within 72 hours of arrival to shorten the voluntary quarantine. I wished them a nice day.
Old May 18, 2021, 5:12 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
Make of it what you want, but I can‘t say I am very surprised.

Yle sources: Finland planning to delay reopening of borders.

https://yle.fi/uutiset/osasto/news/y...rders/11935820

Old May 18, 2021, 7:03 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by florens
Make of it what you want, but I can‘t say I am very surprised.

Yle sources: Finland planning to delay reopening of borders.
https://yle.fi/uutiset/osasto/news/y...rders/11935820
I see no mention of the EU Digital Green Certificate.

​​​​​​​
Old May 18, 2021, 7:26 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
The rationale makes zero sense. Yes, incidence is still high and above 200 in many EU countries, but that's for the entirety of the population. Incidence among vaccinated (or negative tested) people should be way below 200.

So I'm left wondering what is the real motivation, as well as what is the real meaning of the postponement.

Finns and residents will still be able to leave and return anyway. What this could mean however is that PCR tests would be required before boarding ship, and Finnair would have to undo its May 11th policy change of accepting vaccine certificates. First and foremost, this affects family members of foreign residents and naturalised Finns. Later on, it will affect tourists, but they can always visit a more welcoming country in Europe, me thinks.

As for the real unstated reason(s), I could imagine many:
- not agreeing to grant privileges to vaccinated people,
- not agreeing to (effectively) require vaccination for border crossings,
- covering for IT problem/delay with deploying EU green passport,
- legality/constitutionality challenges with the green passport,
- parliament going on summer break before they can vote on new legislation,
- discouraging voters booking vacations before there is better situational clarity.

But this announcement from the Ministry of Interior feels like removing one motivation for younger people to get vaccinated. Which makes it a very stupid statement at this stage in my opinion.

It's also very contrarian to the good news with vaccination schedule from capital area municipalities. But then again, Helsinki and Espoo municipalities are lead by the opposition.
Old May 18, 2021, 7:52 am

Set to fly out this Friday.

I had a LHR to BUD flight cancelled and replaced with a LHF-HEL-BUD flight. I have an 18 hour layover at HEL and was hoping to stay at the Hilton Airport for the night.

I have a USA and Hungarian passport (will enter on the Hungarian one). Will also have the J+J vaccination and a negative PCR result.

Any idea if they'll allow me in to stay the night? From what I understand it seems that if you have a long layover it's allowed.
Old May 18, 2021, 8:47 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
You could try, but it's up to the border guard. Try to pick a friendy-looking one. We had an incident a short while ago at HEL where flights to TLL were cancelled and they didn't let Estonian citizens landside for an irrop-related layover even if there are rules that very much allow this. My guess would be 'no', but I don't have personal experience.
Old May 18, 2021, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jesperss
I have a USA and Hungarian passport (will enter on the Hungarian one). Will also have the J+J vaccination and a negative PCR result.
Any idea if they'll allow me in to stay the night? From what I understand it seems that if you have a long layover it's allowed.
Try to make sure that your PCR test is not older than 72 hrs when you arrive to BUD - you'll save yourself quite a few days of quarantine. Have one ready, do the second one at the airport and you're out on day 2. Otherwise you'll have to have both in HU, so you might end up 5 days locked in. Anecdotally there is little enforcement, but reading the rules paints a very Orwellian Chinese system.

At HEL give it a try - hope you'll make it, because 18 hrs at the dead airside is painful.
Old May 19, 2021, 5:17 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Ohisalo said today in swedish radio that Finland will not ease entry restrictions when it comes up for renewed government decision tomorrow. She also talked about introducing new legislation to support tougher measures for quarantine and such, but I couldn't quite follow her line of thought there.

Message seemed to be, do not anticipate being allowed to travel to Finland freely during summer. However, she waffled abit around allowing travel from Norway, at least border regions. But no clear indications of what actually would happen, not even what governments position was 24h before decision time...
FFlash likes this.

Last edited by intuition; May 19, 2021 at 5:23 am
Old May 19, 2021, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by intuition
Ohisalo said today in swedish radio that Finland will not ease entry restrictions when it comes up for renewed government decision tomorrow. She also talked about introducing new legislation to support tougher measures for quarantine and such, but I couldn't quite follow her line of thought there.

Message seemed to be, do not anticipate being allowed to travel to Finland freely during summer. However, she waffled abit around allowing travel from Norway, at least border regions. But no clear indications of what actually would happen, not even what governments position was 24h before decision time...
Why would anyone think that they could now introduce any legislation that will pass constitutional standards? As for a consistent gov't position... qu'est-ce que c'est ça?
Old May 19, 2021, 7:50 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
The European parliament has not even settled on the fine prints of the green pass, with decisions expected no earlier than tomorrow at the very optimistic best. It seems that most EU national governments are in wait-and-see mode.

Except for a few countries, mostly heavily dependent on tourism, I reckon that there has not been a whole lot of concrete announcements, be it in Finland or elsewhere.
mpkz likes this.
Old May 19, 2021, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by intuition

This? Or this?
Old May 19, 2021, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Try to make sure that your PCR test is not older than 72 hrs when you arrive to BUD - you'll save yourself quite a few days of quarantine. Have one ready, do the second one at the airport and you're out on day 2. Otherwise you'll have to have both in HU, so you might end up 5 days locked in. Anecdotally there is little enforcement, but reading the rules paints a very Orwellian Chinese system.

At HEL give it a try - hope you'll make it, because 18 hrs at the dead airside is painful.

I wish.

The turnout here in New Mexico is 48 hours for a test (took one 24 hours ago and still have no result) and I have 41 hours of flight time. When I took one in Budapest before I left received the results 8 hours later.

I figure I'll get a test done at BUD when I land then another 48 hours later. Probably will be stuck for 3-4 days inside.

Better than my wife last summer who had to quarantine for 48 hours - and the police didn't come once!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.