Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling to Finland

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2020, 6:47 am

Programs: Finnair Plat
Originally Posted by Ed Size
Since many of you guys a familar with Finland I ask here. I have an up coming trip to Finland by early July - I much looking forward to this since a long time. Now I should start to do some bookings I guess - what do you guys guess, will it be possible to travel to Finland by July. All I need is a rental car, some hotels in the countryside and nature. So how is the general feeling among Fins at the moment, would it be disturbing going there on vacation in Covid19 times?

Any advise appreciated
No one knows what's going to happen with the Covid19 restrictions, but as it seems today, Finland is slowly opening up. This means that there will be more than enough rental cars (read, bargain as much as you can and then ask for and upgrade), same thing with the hotels. most hotels are currently closed and those few that remain open are practically empty. Finally, you mentioned "nature". Especially if you are travelling with a family renting a cottage might be a valid option in this respect?

Out of curiosity, why are you coming to Finland at this very moment?

You can send me a PM for more detailed advises.
Ed Size likes this.
Old May 29, 2020, 7:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
Originally Posted by Talonmies
Out of curiosity, why are you coming to Finland at this very moment?
I booked this flight a long time ago, was the first time in Finland (for holidays) last year in June and really, really loved it - the people, the culture, the nature, Lonkero and Hesburger are just brilliant. I like the atmosphere, I like the kindness and I love the weirdness and all that with 24hours daylight.

Since I don t like winter at all the other option will be postpone it to 2021. So as I m not really scared about Covid I thought I can go - just don t want to make other people feeling uncomfortable.

As I just find out I can change my flights, so I will go even a little longer. Just hope it will work out.
cistavoda likes this.
Old May 29, 2020, 7:47 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
I booked this flight a long time ago, was the first time in Finland (for holidays) last year in June and really, really loved it - the people, the culture, the nature, Lonkero and Hesburger are just brilliant. I like the atmosphere, I like the kindness and I love the weirdness and all that with 24hours daylight.

Since I don t like winter at all the other option will be postpone it to 2021. So as I m not really scared about Covid I thought I can go - just don t want to make other people feeling uncomfortable.

As I just find out I can change my flights, so I will go even a little longer. Just hope it will work out.
No one will feel actively uncomfortable with you being here, but according to today's rules, they won't let you in (or on the flight).

July should look a lot better. Finland is the nice guy in the EU, so when other countries open up for Finns (in June?), it won't take long for Finland to invite Europeans, or at least not deny them from entering. My guess is that July will work out fine if you hold an EU passport.

The 14 days "quarantine", if it's still in effect in July, is not compulsory, it's a mere recommendation. Of course you would avoid busy indoor areas anyway at times like these.

Tervetuloa!
Old May 29, 2020, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ffay005
Of course you would avoid busy indoor areas anyway at times like these.

Tervetuloa!
I m not going to Finland to go to busy indoor areas - I m going on a road trip to Lapland and hope no one is near me :-) I guess the reindeers would be bothered by me the most.
ffay005 and tulokas like this.
Old May 29, 2020, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Ed, summer in Lapland = mosquitos. Big, bloodthirsty ones. Just a warning, bring/buy repellants.
Ed Size, Superrman and DiamondMile like this.
Old May 29, 2020, 2:43 pm

I’m a EU citizen looking to transit in Helsinki to Stockholm to visit family - am I allowed to with the updated regulations or no?
Old May 29, 2020, 4:57 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by James91
I’m a EU citizen looking to transit in Helsinki to Stockholm to visit family - am I allowed to with the updated regulations or no?
Yes, you are allowed.
James91 likes this.
Old May 30, 2020, 12:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Ed, summer in Lapland = mosquitos. Big, bloodthirsty ones. Just a warning, bring/buy repellants.
If I have to choose between (a lot of) people and mosquitos - I go for the mosquitos. I bring some repellant which I tested in Thailand for many years, so I hope the mosquitos are impressed by that,
remymartin and Talonmies like this.
Old May 30, 2020, 4:27 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
I wouldn't call the Lapland (or Finland) mosquitoes big. More like a huge swarm of small mosquitoes.

https://yle.fi/uutiset/osasto/news/b...inter/11377303
Old Jun 19, 2020, 6:33 am
Original Poster

It´s getting close, and still no posibillity to get into Finland. Can I travel an continue to Estland even if I need to stay overnight at HEL? This is getting mad.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 7:38 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
It´s getting close, and still no posibillity to get into Finland. Can I travel an continue to Estland even if I need to stay overnight at HEL? This is getting mad.
Published 15.06.2020
Passengers are not allowed to enter.
- This does not apply to:
- passengers arriving from Denmark, Estonia, Iceland, Latvia, Lithuania or Norway;
- nationals of Finland and their family members;
- passengers with a residence permit issued by Finland;
- nationals and family members of nationals of Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czechia, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland (Rep.), Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland residing in Finland or returning via Finland to their country of residence;
- passengers with a British passport and their family members residing in Finland or returning via Finland to their country of residence;
- residents of Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czechia, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland (Rep.), Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland or the United Kingdom, returning via Finland to their country of residence;
- passengers studying in Finland, if arriving from another EU or Schengen Member State;
- military personnel.
Looks like returning home via Finland is fine, but not going on holiday somewhere via Finland.

I am not counting on being allowed to enter Finland before mid-July the earliest sadly. Finland updated their travel advise and extended it until 15.7.2020:

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/new...ential-travel/

Yet, the current travel advice against non-essential trips to the remaining EU, EEA, and Schengen countries – not listed above (Norway, Denmark, Iceland, Estonia, Lithuania and Latvia) – will remain in effect until July 15.
Ed Size likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 7:38 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
I recommend to ask Raja directly, if in doubt.
Originally Posted by Raja
- Transit through the Helsinki Airport

Transits via Helsinki Airport are permitted for external border traffic as well as internal border traffic where internal border control has been reinstated. As a rule, during the transit journey, a person must remain in the airport's transit area, but a person may also be permitted to enter the country for the purpose of the transit referred to above. For example, a person may stay at an airport hotel or other accommodation near the airport, especially if the layover during the transit is a long one.
https://www.raja.fi/current_issues/g...border_traffic
Ed Size and florens like this.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 8:26 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
But once you've arrived in Estonia, you can take the ferry to Finland freely as there are no border controls in the harbour anymore. That is, at least until the government finds this loophole.
Ed Size, cistavoda and Steve_Hun like this.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 11:21 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Worst case that can happen is they send you right back to Estonia I guess. And a fine?
Old Jun 19, 2020, 11:35 am
Original Poster

I guess I try to reschedule and go somewhere south instead - only question is, reschedule for August 2020 or for Jan 2021. Situation sucks, and make no sense at all. Will be difficult to come back to normal with that kind of rules.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.