Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling to Finland

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2020, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by Im a new user
Will Finland shut down domestic travel (except leisure boats) once Finland goes above 25?
Don't you give ideas! Though it's nothing new, cf the blockade of Nyland/Uusimaa last spring.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 9:12 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Ahem. If the point was actually to nudge choices of travel destination toward areas not significantly riskier than Finland, the metric would have been an affine function of incidence in Finland, not a fixed value.

For instance: 10 + 1.5 X where X is Finland's incidence.

But the point is most definitely to discourage international travel at all. So then having a fixed limit makes "sense" even if Finland exceeds it.
ffay005 and intuition like this.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 9:33 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by Courmisch
Ahem. If the point was actually to nudge choices of travel destination toward areas not significantly riskier than Finland, the metric would have been an affine function of incidence in Finland, not a fixed value.
Unless someone though "Finlands number will never raise significantly because we are managing this so well". And that is not that far fetched.

The wording indicated the belief that Finland would not exceed 25:
"Green - The risk of infection is not significantly higher than in Finland", based on incidence below fixed number 25.

I think they haggled their way to 25. "We need a number high enough to allow a lot of countries and low enough so we can claim it is not significantly higher than our own"

Also, incidence is not the sole factor in risk of getting infected. Think Leper colony.
Ed Size and the810 like this.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 11:59 am
Suspended

never mind, what I tried to ask about didnt post when usng Quote so my question wont make sense
Old Oct 1, 2020, 12:26 pm

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Originally Posted by intuition
Unless someone though "Finlands number will never raise significantly because we are managing this so well". And that is not that far fetched.
That trick only works once, and they used it in June by going for a limit of 8, instead of the EU recommendation of 16.

AFAIU, the argument now is rather that 25 is just a temporary limit for the transitional period until the testing regime is implemented.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by Courmisch
But the point is most definitely to discourage international travel at all. So then having a fixed limit makes "sense" even if Finland exceeds it.
I thought that the idea was to pour money into leisure boat rental firms in border areas.
WilcoRoger likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Im a new user
I thought that the idea was to pour money into leisure boat rental firms in border areas.
To be sure, leisure boat arrivals are allowed from the whole Schengen (or EU?) area - so one can start rowing in Innsbruck or in Porto and enter Finland without issues
Old Oct 1, 2020, 1:23 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
To be sure, leisure boat arrivals are allowed from the whole Schengen (or EU?) area ...
Except Åland!
the810 likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are you serious?
Old Oct 1, 2020, 1:53 pm

Programs: HappinesSMiles Silver
Are you serious?
It's just a running joke as Åland is colored gray (= no entry from outside EU) on THL maps. Leisure boat travel is unrestricted from all Schengen countries.
the810 likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 1:56 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Are you serious?
Deadly serious...
I pledge allegiance to the almighty THL which has declared Åland as outside the Schengen border. Since this newly born non-schengen nation is not on EU's green list Raja must protect against any freedom rowers!
Old Oct 2, 2020, 3:47 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Timatic says that transit is permitted for nationals of various European countries returning via Finland to their country of residence. So it should work for a Dane living in the U.S. to go CPH-HEL-JFK. But what about JFK-HEL-CPH?
Old Oct 2, 2020, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by vanillabean
Timatic says that transit is permitted for nationals of various European countries returning via Finland to their country of residence. So it should work for a Dane living in the U.S. to go CPH-HEL-JFK. But what about JFK-HEL-CPH?
CPH-HEL-JFK and JFK-HEL-CPH both seem to be permitted.

https://www.raja.fi/aktuellt/instruk..._gransovergang

Transittrafik i den ordinarie trafiken på flygplatsen

I trafiken över de yttre gränserna och till den del kontrollen vid de inre gränserna har återinförts tillåts transittrafik i den ordinarie trafiken på flygplatsen. Under transittransporten stannar man i regel på flygplatsens transitområde men personens inresa kan också tillåtas för att genomföra ovan nämnda transitering. En person kan övernatta till exempel på ett hotell eller en inkvarteringsfirma i närheten av flygplatsen, i synnerhet om väntetiden för transitering på flygplatsen blir lång.
https://www.raja.fi/ajankohtaista/oh...ajanylitykseen

Säännöllisen reittiliikenteen kauttakulku lentoasemalla

Ulkorajaliikenteessä ja siltä osin kuin sisärajavalvonta on palautettu, säännöllisen reittiliikenteen kauttakulku lentoasemalla sallitaan. Kauttakulkumatkan aikana pysytään lähtökohtaisesti lentoaseman kauttakulkualueella, mutta henkilön maahantulo voidaan myös sallia edellä mainitun kauttakulun suorittamista varten. Henkilö voi majoittua esimerkiksi lentoaseman lähistöllä olevaan hotelliin tai majoitusliikkeeseen erityisesti, jos kauttakulun odotusaika lentoasemalla muodostuu pitkäksi.
https://www.raja.fi/current_issues/g...border_traffic

Transit of regular scheduled air services at an airport

For external border traffic and to the extent that internal border controls have been restored, the transit on regularly scheduled routes is permitted. As a rule, during the transit journey, a person must remain in the transit area of the airport, but a person may also be permitted to enter the country for the purpose of the transit referred to above. For example, a person may stay at an airport hotel or other accommodation near the airport, especially if the layover during the transit is a long one.
Old Oct 2, 2020, 7:09 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by vanillabean
This will be fine both ways. But there are no flights HEL-JFK-HEL at the moment.
Old Oct 4, 2020, 1:16 am
Moderator, Finnair

Originally Posted by avermat
It's just a running joke as Åland is colored gray (= no entry from outside EU) on THL maps. Leisure boat travel is unrestricted from all Schengen countries.
The detachement of Åland from Finland is apparently because THL is using the free tier of german service datawrapper.de.
While the tool is handy the GIS data they provide for free is not perfect. You can upload your own GIS-data, and surely such data is readily available inside government, but I guess it falls outside THL area of expertise.

Funnily, Gotska Sandön is correctly coded (as SE) and Åland is 35x times bigger so I wonder how it fell off the map. I wonder where the data came from. I guess there are a few places you can pull data from where you could easily miss Åland. For example it has a limited independence and is military free and has its own TLD, so it probably has its own GIS-data in such descriptions. Åland is EU and schengen area based on the Ålandsprotokoll (incuding tax excemptions and rules regarding who can own land) so perhaps GIS-data from EU also codes Åland separately from Finland.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.