AY planning JV with Juneyao Air

Old Apr 14, 2020, 9:21 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
AY planning JV with Juneyao Air

Source: https://yle.fi/uutiset/osasto/news/f...rrier/11305029

National airline Finnair said on Tuesday that it is planning to set up a joint venture with Chinese carrier Juneyao Air.

Finnair and the Chinese firm have been cooperating on Helsinki to Shanghai routes since Juneyao began operating on the route in July 2019.

The national carrier said that the proposed joint venture would provide customers with more destinations, schedules and fare options between Helsinki and Shanghai's Pudong International Airport.

"Despite these immensely challenging times for our industry, we at Finnair remain steadfast in our belief and commitment to China as a key market and to Juneyao Air as a key partner," chief commercial officer Ole Orver said in a statement.

The establishment of a joint venture company is not a done deal, as it requires regulatory approval.

Finnair has bet heavily on routes to China, positioning Helsinki as a gateway for western passengers travelling to the east and for customers looking for a direct connection from Asian destinations to the west.

However the novel coronavirus pandemic has caused it to cancel much of its traffic to Asia, resulting in the airline announcing a profit warning and temporary staff layoffs.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 11:11 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
If it weren't for Covid-19, it would make sense for HO, the same strategy as JL using AY as a feeder. For AY, I guess it's more for political reasons that they feel the need to partner with a mainland carrier?

I don't suppose CX cares. And I guess the deal with CZ is not happening since there's been no news for over a year?
Old Jun 23, 2021, 1:14 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN

The partnership is moving further.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 1:57 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Was it Juneyao that planned flights to KEF, DUB, MAN via HEL? If yes, those 5th freedom flights might be fairly priced on AY codes if they ever materialize.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 1:11 pm

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Originally Posted by ffay005
Was it Juneyao that planned flights to KEF, DUB, MAN via HEL?
Yes. At least MAN was even available to purchase for a short while.

The actual fifth freedom route to CPH was another PRC airline though.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.