Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Experiences of AY flights during COVID-19

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Experiences of AY flights during COVID-19

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2022, 8:07 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
A321 too. Maybe cargo and additional turnaround time needed on ground in TLL to load/unload?
Old Jan 24, 2022, 8:16 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by florens
A321 too. Maybe cargo and additional turnaround time needed on ground in TLL to load/unload?
During the strike here at Vantaa, AY is using TLL maintenance.

HEL-TLL 32B and TLL-HEL A319 repeating on 26JAN and 27JAN.
florens likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 5:07 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
Finnair is not just delayed flights, just received message that tomorrow AY1019 to TLL departs one hour earlier than scheduled.
So, on average, things are OK!
OH-LGG and remymartin like this.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 5:35 am

Programs: AY ex-Lumo, TK Elite, BT VIP, ITA Executive
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
Finnair is not just delayed flights, just received message that tomorrow AY1019 to TLL departs one hour earlier than scheduled.
Departs or is scheduled to depart?
Now that they announced they intend to depart one hour early, an hour delay would mean you are on time. Nice way to make passengers happy.
ffay005, TPJ and remymartin like this.
Old Jan 29, 2022, 11:01 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

So… AY uses swissport in GVA and there was only 1 desk open. No priority, confirmed by desk clerk that „AY does not offer this in GVA“. Granted, most pax seemed to have some sort of status! After 30min queuing to checkin…

so… „we‘re flying to tallinn.“
agent: „do you live there? „
„why do you want to know?
„you need a test for finland“
„tallinn is in estonia“
„yes but transit in helsinki“
„no test is needed to transit“
10min wait while agent reads rules…
ok
(agent didn‘t ask for Estonian PLF…)
then
„sir, your luggage is overweight“ (26kg)
„we fly business, we get 32kgs“
„your booking says economy“
„no, it does not. showing booking in app“
„oh, ok, I will have to overwrite your allowance“
„yeh, whatever you need to do“
Old Jan 29, 2022, 11:12 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
So… AY uses swissport in GVA and there was only 1 desk open. No priority, confirmed by desk clerk that „AY does not offer this in GVA“. Granted, most pax seemed to have some sort of status! After 30min queuing to checkin…

so… „we‘re flying to tallinn.“
agent: „do you live there? „
„why do you want to know?
„you need a test for finland“
„tallinn is in estonia“
„yes but transit in helsinki“
„no test is needed to transit“
10min wait while agent reads rules…
ok
(agent didn‘t ask for Estonian PLF…)
then
„sir, your luggage is overweight“ (26kg)
„we fly business, we get 32kgs“
„your booking says economy“
„no, it does not. showing booking in app“
„oh, ok, I will have to overwrite your allowance“
„yeh, whatever you need to do“
Maybe they have been trained by finnish border guards
ffay005, florens and intuition like this.
Old Jan 29, 2022, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
It is so annoying when the agent has no clue of the rules. They don't like to be taught, and they don't like to be corrected. This agent at least budged easily.

Usually, I take a somewhat indifferent "I am not the one having a problem here" approach where I don't confront them at all, I just say what the rules are and then I wait. Their problem to solve. Arguing goes nowhere.

But I feel sorry for Mr and Mrs Fannypack. They would probably have been left at GVA because they didn't bring a test that nobody requires. Or they would have paid extra for their bags. Or whatever.
Old Jan 29, 2022, 12:31 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
To say kudos for SAS agents in comparison, my last 2 checkins at HEL (olci not possible) have been a breeze despite involving complex enough transits and unclear interpretations (utilized the softspots to borderline abuse) and layover timings plus throwaway ticket.
Both times they only clickclacked a moment (while I was sweating) and printed boarding passes. And both times I thanked them nicely ”oh these rules make people mad, you are so nicely in control of them I see”
ffay005, remymartin and aapee like this.
Old Jan 29, 2022, 12:39 pm

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, SK Gold
I've found it to be almost the norm these days that 3rd party outstation agents are not aware of the entry rules to Finland and ask for a test result (sometimes even for a PCR test result) from everyone checking in. Some of them just give up when you say that Finnish citizens don't need a test result, some find it out reading Timatic themselves, but I've even had a case where the agent called the manager to read Timatic for her.
ffay005 likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 12:40 am

Programs: AY LUMO
We want you to be able to book Finnair flights worry-free and make travel plans flexibly with us. Until 31 May 2022, you can change your travel dates as many times as you need without a change fee. After that, you are allowed to make one additional change.
https://www.finnair.com/fi-en/safe-t...ticket-changes
Steve_Hun likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 2:16 am

Programs: AY+Plat
I want QR style 'Book with confidence' policy. Booked a flight (non refundable)to East Asia in November for flight in January first week for family of four. Changed my mind and cancelled 2 weeks before flight, got all money back this week without a single question asked.
remymartin, esledo, FFlash and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 2:26 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Originally Posted by lento
I want QR style 'Book with confidence' policy. Booked a flight (non refundable)to East Asia in November for flight in January first week for family of four. Changed my mind and cancelled 2 weeks before flight, got all money back this week without a single question asked.
We all would like to have a lot of "QR style" things at AY, but we all know that those won't happen...
remymartin, esledo, FFlash and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 2:36 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

I don't expect a policy where you get full refunds on cheapest fares. That's what Flex is there for. However, it would be nice to be able to apply for future travel vouchers on Light and Classic fares in case one wants to cancel voluntarily.
ffay005 likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 2:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
I don't expect a policy where you get full refunds on cheapest fares. That's what Flex is there for. However, it would be nice to be able to apply for future travel vouchers on Light and Classic fares in case one wants to cancel voluntarily.
This would work for me, too. Currently, I don't book AY tickets with money because of their inflexible policy.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 4:41 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
I don't expect a policy where you get full refunds on cheapest fares. That's what Flex is there for. ...
That logic applies, but more so in normal times.

While the statement "people who want to be able to cancel for refund should buy flex" is technically true, it means Finnair is limiting itself. The number of people willing to pay what a flex ticket costs is very low. So Finnair can now only attract those who would by a flex anyway and those who are certain they don't need to cancel for refund. Finnair has nothing to offer the group in between.

Bear in mind, Finnair used to offer refunds on classic tickets too, not only on flex. A mid priced ticket with refund after penalty was a good balance for a lot of flyers, also in normal times. In a time with increased insecurity this group is offered no refund at all. With a flex ticket out of budget, this group will stay at home or look at the competition. I can't possibly see what Finnair gains from that.

I am pretty sure QR's policy is well calculated and serves its purpose. They rather have all people book with them, get the money upfront, get the customer off the market and if it is needed refund in the end.
LoungeEnthusiast, lento and zxcv1 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.