Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Will AY Extend elite status or otherwise incentivize travel postponed by COVID-19?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will AY Extend elite status or otherwise incentivize travel postponed by COVID-19?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2020, 7:17 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
My boldings:

You just get six months on top of your current date what is ”date”, which ”date”?so eg. if your tracking period runs until end March, this extension will freeze your status(status but how about tracking?) until end September. Next tier tracking period will be a normalwhat is ”normal” 12 monthsfrom which date?

I.e. Far from clear
Old Mar 14, 2020, 7:20 am

Programs: AY Gold
Originally Posted by FFlash
For me, that Fplus wording is far from clear. Read it with prudency and you note.
I leave nothing for ”I understood this way or that way” in these context. It has to be idiotclear.
After reading it a couple of times and reading the thread once again, I agree that it is not 100% clear. So I change my stand to "based on the information given in this thread, I feel like this is what was meant to be communicated" instead of "being clear to me".

Last edited by Antx; Mar 14, 2020 at 7:28 am
Old Mar 14, 2020, 7:29 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
My understanding is that the status, and thus underlying accrual period, that you have on March 31st gets extended by 6 months: so expiration from 31.03.2020 to 30.09.2020 at the soonest and from 28.02.2021 to 31.08.2021 at the latest (which would be my case). I don't really see how it's unclear; it's just implicit that if it affects your current tier, it affects the current accrual period.

What might be unclear is if Finnair IT will actually implement the exact same policy.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 8:01 am
Company Representative, Finnair

Programs: Finnair Plus
OK. Look at your current tier tracking period and what the end date is. Add 6 months to that. If it's March 31, you will get extension to Sep 30. If it's April 30, you will get extension to Oct 31.
Your next tier tracking period will start on that new date (in examples above Sep or October) and last 12 months. I hope this is idiotclear FFlash
Old Mar 14, 2020, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by Courmisch
My understanding is that the status, and thus underlying accrual period, that you have on March 31st gets extended by 6 months: so expiration from 31.03.2020 to 30.09.2020 at the soonest and from 28.02.2021 to 31.08.2021 at the latest (which would be my case). I don't really see how it's unclear; it's just implicit that if it affects your current tier, it affects the current accrual period.

What might be unclear is if Finnair IT will actually implement the exact same policy.
Courmisch, no this was not at all clear since look at SK for example who has a 3-month grace period with statusbenefits applying while the new accrual period starts rolling inthe back. And the wording so far left such interpretations open, until the new latest,

Originally Posted by FinnairPlus
OK. Look at your current tier tracking period and what the end date is. Add 6 months to that. If it's March 31, you will get extension to Sep 30. If it's April 30, you will get extension to Oct 31.
Your next tier tracking period will start on that new date (in examples above Sep or October) and last 12 months. I hope this is idiotclear FFlash
Okay, now okay.
One final thing that leaves me puzzled then is the fact that with your generous 6months extension, current members have 18 months of ACCRUAL opportunity as well, and I have a habit of not believing in something which sounds too good to be true.

Hello all new upcoming Gold,Plat,Lumo members, welcome to a new world in 18 months when lounges willbe more crodwed than ever, and forget the upgrade chances best regards, your ”nasty pessimist hat”
Well, don’t bother, just saying thanks to FinnairPlus rep, best regards ”nasty pessimist hat off”
Old Mar 14, 2020, 8:31 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Okay, now okay.
One final thing that leaves me puzzled then is the fact that with your generous 6months extension, current members have 18 months of ACCRUAL opportunity as well, and I have a habit of not believing in something which sounds too good to be true.

Hello all new upcoming Gold,Plat,Lumo members, welcome to a new world in 18 months when lounges willbe more crodwed than ever, and forget the upgrade chances best regards, your ”nasty pessimist hat”
Well, don’t bother, just saying thanks to FinnairPlus rep, best regards ”nasty pessimist hat off”
Yes, for sure there will be some, who'll benefit greatly from this extension, but given that right now barely anyone is flying I do not see that herds of new gold and platinum customers would hit up the AY lounges come 6/12/whatever months...
NoWindowSeat, ffay005 and lento like this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 10:11 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels

Theoretically you are correct, but in practice hardly anyone travels at all right now. Perhaps there are a few idiots who will take any flight still operating and gain enough points to reach a new tier, but those numbers must be very very small and I would argue that you will not see any more crowding in lounges this autumn because of this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 10:22 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by ffay005
Theoretically you are correct, but in practice hardly anyone travels at all right now. Perhaps there are a few idiots who will take any flight still operating and gain enough points to reach a new tier, but those numbers must be very very small and I would argue that you will not see any more crowding in lounges this autumn because of this.
Fully agree. Anyone taking mileage runs now should really think hard if it makes any sense. Our government is advising against any travel that is not 100% necessary. No matter how individuals feel, it’s not a joke what’s going on.
SPBanker and Purjelentaja like this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
It has to be idiotclear.
So that not even FT posters can argue endlessly about it.
florens, SPBanker, FFlash and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 10:44 am
Company Representative, Finnair

Programs: Finnair Plus
Courmisch, no this was not at all clear since look at SK for example who has a 3-month grace period with statusbenefits applying while the new accrual period starts rolling inthe back. And the wording so far left such interpretations open, until the new latest,

Okay, now okay.

Glad to help. Yes, it really is as good as it sounds. Honestly, I for one would be very happy to see those overcrowded lounges and masses of new Gold, Plat and Lumo enjoying salads in 18 months because that would mean this crisis was over really quickly and travel industry bounced back as if nothing happened. Cheers to that. Meanwhile, stay safe my friends
Old Mar 14, 2020, 11:29 am

Programs: AY ex-Lumo, TK Elite, BT VIP, ITA Executive
Glad to help. Yes, it really is as good as it sounds. Honestly, I for one would be very happy to see those overcrowded lounges and masses of new Gold, Plat and Lumo enjoying salads in 18 months because that would mean this crisis was over really quickly and travel industry bounced back as if nothing happened. Cheers to that. Meanwhile, stay safe my friends
This tier validity extension shows the very positive side of AY+. Thank you for that! As we can see, you have even mastered local vocabulary. Can't wait for seeing that in one of the "re-launch" newsletters: "Hello idiots, we are happy to announce that your salads are available in Platinum Wing again. Enjoy your bounces!"
Old Mar 14, 2020, 11:52 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Courmisch, no this was not at all clear since look at SK for example who has a 3-month grace period (...)
Well, my mind was not contaminated by SAS policies, and it seemed clear to me. Ultimately, I reckon that what FinnairPlusRep confirmed is exactly what I had understood...

Hello all new upcoming Gold,Plat,Lumo members, welcome to a new world in 18 months when lounges will be more crowded than ever, and forget the upgrade chances
6 months minus the duration of the crisis, which we don't yet know. Many people are already well into their accrual year, 6 months extra might be just enough time to catch up on the flying they will have missed during the crisis (I guess that's the whole point) - not so much to climb to the next tier.

But anyway, compare a 50% increase in accrual period duration, to the ratii between tiers (best case with tier bonus):
  • Silver to Gold: 167%
  • Gold to Platinum: 88%
  • Platinum to Lumo: 200%
It's all well above 50%. Some people will get ideas, and future-ex-frequent flyers will get 6 months reprieve, but I don't think it'll be drastic.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 12:55 pm

Yup, I was not that serious on that one, and indeed you have thought it out well it sounds, which is a good sign for us. Makes us confident that you listen to us. Compare to the other extreme, namely TK which I left completely as my secondary program since it was like talking to real idiots or banging your head into a wall.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
So that not even FT posters can argue endlessly about it.
Well at this point everything became clear, but tou have a good point there. Many threads here get long just because we have the FT experience here who can always find all kind of traps and interpretations and twists and loopholes and lo que sea, then workingnout the devils in the details and that.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 1:37 pm

Programs: AY+
Originally Posted by Antx
Would it be possible to do this request much later on in order to cut the extension short? Like, if things clear out in June, request in June to cut it short so that the new tracking period would start already from June or July? This way one could start flying as soon as possible, but still having an extension covering the period of uncertainty.
My thoughts exactly. As for my current tracking period, ending in May, there's nothing further I want to pursue. However, I've already booked sufficient trips mainly for the summer to reach Platsku in the next tracking period. Thus, the gains would be optimal if my tracking period would reset in its original timeframe and I'd be up in the air come summer. However, one cannot simply know how long this crisis is going to last; for now I'm prepared to postpone my trips..
Antx likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.