Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Will AY Extend elite status or otherwise incentivize travel postponed by COVID-19?

Will AY Extend elite status or otherwise incentivize travel postponed by COVID-19?

Old Mar 13, 2020, 6:55 am

Programs: AY+ Plat
Originally Posted by ffay005
Okay, received the email 2 min ago and I'm already the fifth poster...

I guess it's 6 months, regardless of status?
Yes, I guess so. I just renewed by the end of February and got the mail too.
ffay005 likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 6:58 am
R2

While I appreciate the gesture I'm not sure I like the way this is done..I'm at 270k tier points tracking period ending 31.3. I have no aspiration to go for Lumo as that would require me to fly AY (I now have 48k/270k from AY flights).

I assume this means I won't get a new set of vouchers until end September?
Old Mar 13, 2020, 6:59 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Any word on the exact implementation? Moving everyone's membership year end 6 months?
(they are taking down the site at midnight, so maybe we'll have the answer tomorrow morning)
Old Mar 13, 2020, 7:03 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by R2
This is something I didn't think about. If this indeed is the case, then this is a big negative.

I bet AY hasn't thought about this yet. FinnairPlus
Old Mar 13, 2020, 7:05 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by R2
While I appreciate the gesture I'm not sure I like the way this is done..I'm at 270k tier points tracking period ending 31.3. I have no aspiration to go for Lumo as that would require me to fly AY (I now have 48k/270k from AY flights).

My thoughts exactly, Plat done and period ends after summer. Anyway, I dont mind, its never perfect to all, this is very equal to everyone and travel will be stopped for most anyway for couple of months.

Governments also encourage us not to travel, so this is totally understandable move, who cares about couple of vouchers when the whole world is in shambles.
intuition likes this.

Last edited by NoWindowSeat; Mar 13, 2020 at 7:10 am
Old Mar 13, 2020, 7:06 am

Programs: AY+Plat
Not sure if they will do anything tomorrow as the letter says "on 31 March, we will automatically extend....". I understand this as they will change it on 31st March.

I am also curious about is this only tier extension or also change in tracking period.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by ffay005
Okay, received the email 2 min ago and I'm already the fifth poster...

I guess it's 6 months, regardless of status?
I guess you have never eaten in Japanese zaibatsu cantina. Two minutes after lunch time has started only one (bad) food option is anymore available...
Old Mar 13, 2020, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by lento
Not sure if they will do anything tomorrow as the letter says "on 31 March, we will automatically extend....". I understand this as they will change it on 31st March.

I am also curious about is this only tier extension or also change in tracking period.
Indeed. Extension of tracking period, if that was not clear yet.
lento likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 7:18 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum
Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat
Indeed. Extension of tracking period, if that was not clear yet.
How about next tracking period, only 6 months time to get enough miles for status? Or double miles in this 6 months timeframe (old and new tracking period) or what?
Old Mar 13, 2020, 7:20 am

Programs: AY+Plat
Originally Posted by Extra Mile
How about next tracking period, only 6 months time to get enough miles for status? Or double miles in this 6 months timeframe (old and new tracking period) or what?
If it is extension, it would mean permanent change of everyone's tracking period.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 7:23 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by intuition
Any word on the exact implementation? Moving everyone's membership year end 6 months
I dont get it.

If everyone gets 6 months more so how is next period? When it starts and is this permanent change for tier periods and for everyone? If so I'm not sure this is positive thing at all.
esledo likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 7:24 am
Company Representative, Finnair

Programs: Finnair Plus
To quickly answer - we will administer the tier change over the next two weeks, so you won't see anything tomorrow. Yes, we did think of the vouchers and cases like R2 but decided pretty much what NoWindowSeat wrote. Fully aware it wont be a perfect solution for everyone, but since travel is unlikely to pick up over the next few months we decided it's better to freeze current status for all and return to this when world is back to normal Hope you understand that.
ETA: You just get six months on top of your current date. so eg. if your tracking period runs until end March, this extension will freeze your status until end September. Next tier tracking period will be a normal 12 months.
ETA2: Also, we will follow this situation closely and if need be, take additional measures.

Last edited by FinnairPlus; Mar 13, 2020 at 7:36 am
Old Mar 13, 2020, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by OH-LGG
I dont get it.

If everyone gets 6 months more so how is next period? When it starts and is this permanent change for tier periods and for everyone? If so I'm not sure this is positive thing at all.
Interesting to hear how you see it like that? Every tracking period will always cover each and every day of the year so seasonal travelling patterns shouldnt make any difference, meaning it doesnt change a thing if ones tracking starts in August or January?

Now this current season everyone is on, will just be 18 months, and then back to the usual 12 months again.

Edit: And if you ask AY not to extend your period, maybe theyll do it, Lumotic and all? They dont lose anything with that..
FinnairPlus and Steve_Hun like this.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 7:33 am

Programs: AY+ Gold, SK EBG
While I understand that the implementation may not be 100% perfect for everybody due to delay of new vouchers due to shift in tracking period, I highly appreciate @FinnairPlus being proactive about keeping our loyalty once this panic period ends.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY Platinum
Originally Posted by FinnairPlus
To quickly answer - we will administer the tier change over the next two weeks, so you won't see anything tomorrow. Yes, we did think of the vouchers and cases like R2 but decided pretty much what NoWindowSeat wrote. Fully aware it wont be a perfect solution for everyone, but since travel is unlikely to pick up over the next few months we decided it's better to freeze current status for all and return to this when world is back to normal Hope you understand that.
ETA: next tracking period will be a normal 12 months.
Thank you FinnairPlus , loyalty goes two ways and hope we get back to normal in no time Meanwhile wish everyone stays safe and healthy to be back to travels soon
FinnairPlus likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.