Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Will AY Extend elite status or otherwise incentivize travel postponed by COVID-19?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will AY Extend elite status or otherwise incentivize travel postponed by COVID-19?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2020, 11:25 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by kauppias
some companies around the world have imposed a ban on even self paid travel for employees to many areas resulting in forced leave if traveling...
I think this is so funny. Firstly, no company can dictate what you do in your free time. Secondly, if you spend your weekend in Milan, how will your boss know? Pro tip: don't post a selfie in front of the Duomo on Instagram
Old Mar 10, 2020, 12:34 pm

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by ffay005
I think this is so funny. Firstly, no company can dictate what you do in your free time. Secondly, if you spend your weekend in Milan, how will your boss know? Pro tip: don't post a selfie in front of the Duomo on Instagram
yet it seems many companies do perhaps not so much in Finland but many work in other countries

these restrictions are in place for a reason, say you dont follow your company rules and end up infecting your coworkers, that would be a fun work enviroment after that 😃😃😃

but anyways life goes on but point being MANY people will have to adjust their travel professionally and privately for various reasons, some of which wont necesarily be by their choice.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 3:36 pm

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
AY should start now with upgrade vouchers extensions, then after a few months when the situation remains same or worse, status upgrade would be reasonable.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 3:40 pm
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
This is very interesting topic. I don’t think we’ll see anything on this topic from AY before other European carriers possibly issue something.

I’d be looking at SK/LH/KL-AF, those must be seen as the key competition so if they start to do something which might get customers to choose them over AY, like status matches from OW and/or 2-3x tier promos etc. AY will most likely (need to) follow but don’t see them being the first one out of the gate.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 3:45 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
QR actually started today to invite members to "apply" (one-click) for a shorter extension. I don't know if it was targeted or general offer. The implementation is a bit unclear as they have a free-flowing 365-days membership year, but Plat holders got 3 month extension (while plats recently dropped to gold got plat reinstated for 6 months!!).
kauppias likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 6:10 pm

Programs: Finnair Platinum; Intercontinental Ambassador
Some of the comments here are quite accurate, but some make quite a bit less sense
My personal opinion here is that any travel within at least next month is quite irresponsible. Yes... most of us are youngish and likely to survive, however I do have friends sick with the virus, who were bullish about it and there is nothing nice about it.
i am on a self inflicted no fly march and have imposed that on all my staff.
Hopefully this madness subsides and normal life will return, but if 60%+ get sick, which is one of the quoted scenarios, worrying about keeping my Platinum is not on the top 20 of my worries. (Nice of course if they did extend it though without my polite asking).
Old Mar 10, 2020, 6:27 pm
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by helahela
Some of the comments here are quite accurate, but some make quite a bit less sense
My personal opinion here is that any travel within at least next month is quite irresponsible. Yes... most of us are youngish and likely to survive, however I do have friends sick with the virus, who were bullish about it and there is nothing nice about it.
Hopefully this madness subsides and normal life will return, but if 60%+ get sick, which is one of the quoted scenarios, worrying about keeping my Platinum is not on the top 20 of my worries. (Nice of course if they did extend it though without my polite asking).
Totally agreed. However, all the human suffering aside, which is very sad, this is still flyertalk and specifically AY forum which is all about flying with AY and about their FF scheme.

It’s only natural to discuss all aspects about the program here, also during difficult times. While doing that I hope we all can still respect the human side of all this. Also, the whole crisis is getting to a point where travelling, or stopping it, makes very little difference anymore, it’s all over already.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 7:58 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, TK Elite
Things being cancelled left and right I am already sketching up a plan for an MR. So an extension would be nice, but indeed, how long?
Old Mar 11, 2020, 1:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY Platinum
Originally Posted by helahela
Agree, personally I’ve put on hold all travel bookings and plans for me and family as I feel its an irresponsible act during these times.

In addition what comes to work related travel, we are grounded for at least march. Everyone is asked to take measures they need and feel to stay safe. If this means working from home, do it as we are lucky to be in position to do so.

Obviously some will find these times as an opportunity to find cheap flights and thats fine. Everyone makes their own calls.

However, assuming there will be a solution to this, we’ll be back to travels soon and thus raising the question what AY is doing to raise loyalty rather decline it automatically as time passes?
Old Mar 11, 2020, 2:12 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
I still think a proportionate response is fairest for AY+ as everyone is on a different status year and no way to know how long the issue will continue thus a proportionate monthly TP credit would work for many if not most. if it lasts for 3 months then they have credited 1/4th of the the needed TPs for all equally. same goes for if it lasts 12months then status would have been extended in theory.

luckily I am not the the at AY+ who makes decisions, but somehow I doubt AY will be the the forerunner on this nor a innovative leader...

time will show but AY would be smart to do SOMETHING 😃

CX was smart in the way they immediately got to working on this 👍👍👍
Old Mar 11, 2020, 2:12 am

Programs: AY Platinum
Off topic but I kept reading this thread last night and it ended up me having a dream about AY offering a special flight for FT members only, just HEL-HEL and everyone receiving 45 000 points so that everyone can keep their status. The dream ended when we boarded the aircraft, everyone sitting in J and drinking JP happily.

So, how about this, AY?
Old Mar 11, 2020, 4:29 am

Programs: AY+ Plat and several other cards
Discussed with CS on Plat line about a couple of cancelled flights and changing existing reservations. Change of existing reservation was fine without fee regardless of booking classes available. She also filed the refund request for cancelled flights. I also discussed of tier points lost for cancelled flights and the CS agent said they are now extending the accrual periods ending in March by 3 months. I don't know if it is done case by case or automatically for everyone. In any case very positive!
Old Mar 11, 2020, 4:34 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
But the logic is odd. Is it only people whose period ends in march that has gotten cancelled flights?
Old Mar 11, 2020, 4:41 am

Originally Posted by intuition
But the logic is odd. Is it only people whose period ends in march that has gotten cancelled flights?

exactly! this is why the CX method would be equally fair to all levels and tier year dates!
florens likes this.

Last edited by kauppias; Mar 11, 2020 at 4:56 am
Old Mar 11, 2020, 4:43 am
R2

This would be odd (and not fair) indeed. My tracking period ends on 31 March - so far no extension shown on my account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.