Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

AY COVID-19 - new cancellations in Europe

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AY COVID-19 - new cancellations in Europe

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2020, 2:05 pm

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by Extra Mile
Also refund should be an option?
If no flight was cancelled then the refund will depend on your ticket type.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 7:06 am

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Next exciting question - ticket booked during the campaign period, but changed after it. Flights still all in Aug. Double points or not? T&C has no mention about changes.
No double points. Changed my R-class ticket a week ago and I didn't even think that no double points are given.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 7:09 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
That double point campaign is sort of a failure.

It should be "fly between x.x. and y.y. and receive double points". No matter where you book your tickets, when you booked, whether you made changes. As long as you are BIS within the period, the points should be yours. Especially in times like these when things change all the time, with little notice.
Flying Yazata and Steve_Hun like this.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 8:43 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by ffay005
That double point campaign is sort of a failure.

It should be "fly between x.x. and y.y. and receive double points". No matter where you book your tickets, when you booked, whether you made changes. As long as you are BIS within the period, the points should be yours. Especially in times like these when things change all the time, with little notice.
While I can understand your position in the end the campaign is there to get AY extra cash now. And if this campaign would be „sort of a failure“ for AY I don‘t see why we should get any double point promotion in the future,
Old Aug 16, 2020, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by AY005
No double points. Changed my R-class ticket a week ago and I didn't even think that no double points are given.
Are you sure about it? I haven't read the T&C, but the campaign was along the lines of "buy your ticket until 7(?)/Aug and fly until 31(?)/Aug", nothing about changes to those tix. I bought my ticket and will fly within the campaign period, so IMO I'm compliant.

Originally Posted by Jainzar
While I can understand your position in the end the campaign is there to get AY extra cash now. And if this campaign would be „sort of a failure“ for AY I don‘t see why we should get any double point promotion in the future,
Failure is too strong, but the terms of the promo are just too complicated. If they need the cash NOW, it should be simply "buy until xxx" without limit on the flight dates (aside from the usual ones, ie how far out one can book) That would bring much more cash NOW vs if I'd buy my ticket in December.
OTOH if they need to fill the planes NOW, don't put an extra condition there (different dates for purchase and flight), make it simply "BUY and FLY before yyy"

Last edited by WilcoRoger; Aug 16, 2020 at 10:28 am
Old Aug 16, 2020, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Are you sure about it? I haven't read the T&C, but the campaign was along the lines of "buy your ticket until 7(?)/Aug and fly until 31(?)/Aug", nothing about changes to those tix. I bought my ticket and will fly within the campaign period, so IMO I'm compliant.
3/4 segments were posted correct (extra 4000 points) but not that changed one. I'll try to contact AY Plus CS and ask about missing double points.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by Jainzar
Yes and no. During times like these, the aim of such a campaign could also be a way of saying thank you to those few loyal customers who still choose to fly. It's more about goodwill than revenue. AY hasn't promoted the campaign much, which seems to indicate that it is, in fact, more of this nature than a way of attracting lots of new customers.

In normal times, of course, it's fully understandable that campaigns require preregistration and have certain terms, even kind of complicated terms, that have to be met.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 12:45 pm

Programs: AY ex-Lumo, TK Elite, BT VIP, ITA Executive
Yes and no. During times like these, the aim of such a campaign could also be a way of saying thank you to those few loyal customers who still choose to fly. It's more about goodwill than revenue. AY hasn't promoted the campaign much, which seems to indicate that it is, in fact, more of this nature than a way of attracting lots of new customers.

In normal times, of course, it's fully understandable that campaigns require preregistration and have certain terms, even kind of complicated terms, that have to be met.
Speaking of Covid-19 related cancellations and saying thank you to loyal customers, my impression is that many/most of the cabin crew has totally cancelled any efforts to see who is onboard now when those small iPads are not in use on the carts. Any HQ loyalty goodwill goes quite a wrong direction after check-in.
ffay005 likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 1:08 pm

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by on22cz
Speaking of Covid-19 related cancellations and saying thank you to loyal customers, my impression is that many/most of the cabin crew has totally cancelled any efforts to see who is onboard now when those small iPads are not in use on the carts. Any HQ loyalty goodwill goes quite a wrong direction after check-in.
They try to avoid all contacts. Very suitable for many Finns even without any covid höpöhöpö

I had yesterday excellent cabin crew and our purser was very sorry She cant offer me Platinum drink when coming back from destination (I was in Y on inbound) and She said all You Platinums are so wonderful and thanked many times me I keep flying on AY..

Made me rethink Lumo if Platinums are so lovely
Old Aug 16, 2020, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by on22cz
I had only Norra flights lately (no mainline AY) and the only time status was mentioned was "Even for Plats I can't get a champagne from up front" accompanied with a "how dare you!" glare

Also, smiling or being just friendly seems to be considered a health risk, so Norra crews actively avoid that.
Old Aug 19, 2020, 3:08 am

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
Is a transfer in HEL doable when traveling from Germany under the new restrictions?
Old Aug 19, 2020, 5:38 am

Originally Posted by AY005
3/4 segments were posted correct (extra 4000 points) but not that changed one. I'll try to contact AY Plus CS and ask about missing double points.
Double points posted now.
WilcoRoger likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2020, 6:01 am

Programs: some
The double points for my last flights posted right along with the normal ones - now I am curious about the next flight where Finnair canceled the domestic segments (that I will be missing on the way to re-qualification) and I will now only be flying HEL<->FRA
Old Aug 19, 2020, 8:34 am

This is not yet an experience, but I hope it turns into one

I was supposed to fly to BKK in September. No luck with that, of course. I started looking at LPA, as I like the city very much. Knowing that AY directs start in October, I googled flights and connections are terrible. KLM + Transavia, 13–14 hours each way, 350 EUR. And in Spain they make you wear masks outside, too.

In the end I booked flights on AY to RHO. Only three flights per week to choose from, so the dates (and times) weren't ideal, but it's a direct flight. While it cost 434 EUR on the website, I was able to book it for 30 000 AY+ and 34 EUR, just as an example of what AY+ points are (or can be!) worth. Hotel was inexpensive, too, and no mask-wearing outside. Of course I booked a refundable hotel rate, as one never knows these days. Let's hope for the best, though.
Quoting myself from another thread. The government that I love so much has decided that Rhodes is now a no-go zone and AM is cancelling all trips. My RHO flights still show in the App and they're still bookable on AY.com. Usually, before flights are cancelled from the system, they lower inventory to zero and keep it that way for a while. But at least for now, that's not the case.

I wonder whether AY intends to fly or not. Most customers must be from AM, and they will not be travelling, but if there are enough direct bookings, then maybe AM cxl doesn't automatically mean AY cxl. Or am I overly optimistic here? My dates are 05SEP-09SEP.
Old Aug 19, 2020, 12:48 pm

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
I am indirectly affected as I still have an earlier canceled HEL<->RHO yet to refund or rebook...

However, I would guess that they have yet to decide what to do in this case? But given that those Greece flights were very uneconomical from Finnair or GDS, I don't think that there would be a lot of paying customers - just a few redemptors like you. So I would not be too optimistic. I can only guess that, they will be reduced to a single weekly, or canceled altogether.

Maybe they're waiting for Aurinko and Appolo to cancel first?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.