Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

AY COVID-19 - new cancellations in Europe

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AY COVID-19 - new cancellations in Europe

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2020, 10:18 am
Ambassador: Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by FFlash
My recipe is: return back to normal as much as possible to restore the wheels of economy, and multiply healthcare resourcea by any means shortterm to take the hit that will anyway come (even if it could come much later and lower)
This is more or less how UK was thinking a week ago. They turned back.

No country or society is ready for the amount of dead bodies this approach would lead to. Simply impossible also to ramp up the healthcare system to cope with the demand in that scenario, not even close, anywhere in the world.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 11:33 am

Programs: AY Platinum, IHG Gold, Diners
I don’t know what is right or wrong, and I’m happy I don’t have to make such decisions. I agree that if society is closed until June-July, then there is a high risk of anarchy. At some point someone needs to assess when the price of closing the society becomes too high vs the number of lives that will be lost. These measures are in place to protect the weakest and ultimately the society. But if this goes on too long, there will not be a society as we know it. A controlled decision to go back to normal needs to be taken at some point, even if the price of that may be very many human lives. But that is better than anarchy, with at least as many lives lost.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 12:44 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by niksal
At some point someone needs to assess when the price of closing the society becomes too high vs the number of lives that will be lost.
The way things are going now, we’ll end up having more small business owners committing suicide than geriatrics dying of the virus.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 1:11 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat
This is more or less how UK was thinking a week ago. They turned back.

No country or society is ready for the amount of dead bodies this approach would lead to. Simply impossible also to ramp up the healthcare system to cope with the demand in that scenario, not even close, anywhere in the world.
Not sure they had even applied first measures to start with.

And to compare to other countries way different in healthcare basics is not applicable IMO.

Anyway, opinions are free and I would add one more recipe to my hotpot, namely common sense (if there is any left in Finland, even the word maalaisjärki is unknown for new generations) and good hygiene skills would help miles. Even without corona, in ”normal times”, I for one have always been using pretty fargoing hygiene measures in public places. Just looking how people behave in public toilets makes me nauseate.
Fims likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 1:22 pm

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
Originally Posted by niksal
I don’t know what is right or wrong, and I’m happy I don’t have to make such decisions. I agree that if society is closed until June-July, then there is a high risk of anarchy. At some point someone needs to assess when the price of closing the society becomes too high vs the number of lives that will be lost. These measures are in place to protect the weakest and ultimately the society. But if this goes on too long, there will not be a society as we know it. A controlled decision to go back to normal needs to be taken at some point, even if the price of that may be very many human lives. But that is better than anarchy, with at least as many lives lost.
You're basically saying out loud what I've been thinking about for the past 3-5 days, but which I have hardly mentioned to anyone here in Finland, since many are currently anxious or agitated by the situation. In Sweden there's been some healthy public commentary about youth crime and disorder possibly increasing as schools are closed and there's less adults present in the public space. Also I'm certain many will get agitated and anxious about being at home for weeks, if this keeps going on. Violence in close relationships will also become an issue at home.

Now, I don't questionise the current measures, rather I'm just nodding to your sentiment and adding my own longterm concerns. I certainly hope this won't last all too long, because then we'll have a further wave of new crap hitting the fan of our society.

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
BA’s IT is useless - “to rebook or refund please call us”. Instead of “click here to rebook or refund” - I’m sure the 21st century will arrive to Britain at some point
If your flight has been cancelled, you can initiate a refund online as well, but at the moment you need to do a technical circumvention to avoid the voucher option. You find the details in the BA subforum.

Originally Posted by ffay005
The way things are going now, we’ll end up having more small business owners committing suicide than geriatrics dying of the virus.
Not just that, but e.g. cancer diagnosis and treatment gets postponed, which will directly result in maimed and dead citizens. There's a plethora of diseases that will get worse without diagnosis and medication/surgery. Someone will have to think at some point are COVID-19 patients more valuable/precious patients than e.g. mesothelioma patients.
ffay005, niksal and esledo like this.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 2:22 pm

Programs: Finnair , Marriot Gold

Delhi Airport

@DelhiAirport
Passengers of the last international arriving flight have now exited the airport. Operations at T3 international arrivals will remain suspended till 0531 hours of 29th March 2020.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 2:25 pm
Ambassador: Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Yeah these are so difficult and unprecedented times that it’s impossible to know what is right and what is wrong.

I respect the many invincible and immortal millennials, many of who would just party on as usual and fly off to the other side of the world etc. tomorrow if possible. I just hope that not too many of them won’t need to regret their comments later when their grand parents are in dire straits with potential covid-19 infection.

I’m more in the ”better safe than sorry, do too much now and ease off when needed/possible” -camp. I strongly believe that approach will also give a better chance for people with other ilnesses, not only covid-19 patients.
nordic, niksal and DALtoAAL like this.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 4:37 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by Akkku
Not sure if I’m being unreasonable but I was slightly disappointed on how AY handled my free transfer of flights. I had a trip booked from Haneda to Helsinki in the beginning of April but due to recent events had to come home earlier. I messaged AY’s English speaking chat only to hear that the earliest date I could transfer my flight is March 30th as there’s no flights from Haneda before that. No chance to transfer to a flight from Narita. Needed to get home so I had to buy a 2k€ ticket. Luckily I can transfer the original HND flight for future but I would have appreciated some flexibility by transferring me to a NRT flight.
A colleague at the office has family members in Japan. With the return flights now cancelled they first encountered the same problem: No change between NRT/HND allowed and thus only solution offered was cancel-refund and then book a new one/way TYO-HEL at 1900€. Not really ample, he decided his daughter had to stay in JP until he found another solution.

Half an hour later, agent calls back from Finnair and with the good news she found a solution: JL to LHR and BA to CPH. Reissued ticket at no extra cost.
Yeay!

That only solved 50% of his problems though.
Now he's been in waiting line with travellink for at least an hour trying to claim refund for his wife ticket that was cancelled both ways. I peeked into his office to check how things are going. He said:

- Finnair told me I need to claim from Travellink but I've been on hold for such a long time I wonder if there are any money left for me!
- Ah, don't worry. If they don't pay you can always claim from the credit card company for non-delivery.
- Oh I feel so much safer now, because I paid with the Norwegian card!

(big laughs even though we both knows Norwegian actually have sold the bank so bankruptcy threat is not imminent)
Old Mar 23, 2020, 4:46 am

Programs: AY LUMO
NRT is cancelled from 26MAR20 and HND cancelled until 03MAY20
Old Mar 23, 2020, 5:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, OZ Diamond, LH Silver
Originally Posted by haapalainen
Does anybody know why AY has not cancelled many of the flights it does not plan to operate in the coming months? For example my flights on 4th April have been zeroed out in all booking classes but so far my booking is still showing as normal on MMB.

Of course it's still several weeks before the flights so no stress but at least I would rather like to cancel sooner than later. And getting a refund is naturally easier when AY cancels the flights rather than me cancelling my booking.
To follow up, I got an email today that my flight on 4th April is cancelled. No refund or rebook option available online on MMB so I guess I need to call for refund.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 5:52 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by haapalainen
To follow up, I got an email today that my flight on 4th April is cancelled. No refund or rebook option available online on MMB so I guess I need to call for refund.
There is also a form you can fill out to request a refund:

https://www.finnair.com/en/customer-...ms/refund-form

No need to call.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 8:35 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Originally Posted by intuition
Now he's been in waiting line with travellink for at least an hour trying to claim refund for his wife ticket that was cancelled both ways. I peeked into his office to check how things are going.
I don't get it. Why bother waiting in the line to get a refund? Unless you really need the money ASAP, can't you use the customer support form?

In those times, I think it's best to avoid customer services, both for yourself, and for the others who actually need to contact it urgently.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 9:05 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by Courmisch
I don't get it. Why bother waiting in the line to get a refund? Unless you really need the money ASAP, can't you use the customer support form?

In those times, I think it's best to avoid customer services, both for yourself, and for the others who actually need to contact it urgently.
I guess the normal passenger is not "savvy" enough.
Finnair sent him a cancellation message. He called Finnair, was told to call Travellink, so he called travellink.
If he had started operating a customer support form, he probably would have chosen a form on Finnair page, only to be told days/weeks later he contacted the wrong place. Then he is supposed to find a contact form on Travellink? (I just went there and I can't find any such form) so spend more time filling out a form and hoping for it to be the right one and to have the request positively answered, whenever that happens?

I am not surprised at all that people do not use contact forms. They are slow and error prone. Call in, wait in line and then get a 100% one-on-one conversation where all potential problems are worked out straight away.

To each their own, but unless it is absolutely trivial I too shy away from forms, chats and emails.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 12:23 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, IHG Gold, Diners
I made a mistake in the debacle about getting my parents home, and booked something via ebookers. Waited one day 4.5h in line on the phone, then it got disconnected. No forms what I could see, except for complaints. Well, I hope I get the money back at some point.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 1:42 pm
Moderator, Finnair

One thing that can be good to know is that Finnair made changes last year in how tickets are handled when it comes to Amadeus based OTAs. (pardon my ignorance in the correct TA lingo) Previously, if Finnair did "stuff" to the ticket (like re-issue) then "ownership" was transferred to Finnair and OTA was locked out of the ticket. (ie something they do not want to happen, hence the reluctance to touch OTA tickets I assume). Now finnair can "do stuff" like re-issue ticket and OTA still has access to it.

I believe this has come in handy these last weeks - I have had one OTA issued ticket that Finnair had no problems touching, doing all kind of bad stuff to like rebook into new flights and new fare buckets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.