Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

AY COVID-19 - new cancellations in Europe

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AY COVID-19 - new cancellations in Europe

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2020, 5:10 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat
2 days in a row a death onboard a HEL bound flight from Spain. Bad luck at already difficult times..
I'm not a doctor, but I'm wondering whether it's old people who are so relieved to finally be on a plane back home that the rapidly decreasing stress levels cause a heart attack. Would this make any sense?
NoWindowSeat and florens like this.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Yazata
What I don't get is the number of intra-European flights still being operated in that reduced schedule. Do they expect there's enough connecting passengers on those to operate HND? As per the most recent update by the Ministry of the Interior, there's basically no business to conduct outside the borders, unless it's absolutely essential or you're e.g. doing maintenance in Kilpilahti or Hästholmen.

Thankfully my LHR-HEL flight will be cancelled, but my outbound HEL-LHR is still operated, although with a smaller plane.
Well, the foreign ministry of Finland has specifically stated that the Finnish Constitution prevents the state from prohibiting any Finn from leaving the country, or re-entering. They can (and do) recommend Finns not to travel, but there will always be people who don't follow the recommendations. There will be family visits, travels between homes, work-related travel etc.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 4:53 am

Programs: AY Gold
Originally Posted by Flying Yazata
What I don't get is the number of intra-European flights still being operated in that reduced schedule. Do they expect there's enough connecting passengers on those to operate HND?
Cargo contracts and mail contracts could warrant for a scheduled flight. Having a scheduled flight does not mean that they will actually fly the flights, though, as individual flights can still be canceled later on.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 4:54 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by ffay005
Well, the foreign ministry of Finland has specifically stated that the Finnish Constitution prevents the state from prohibiting any Finn from leaving the country, or re-entering. They can (and do) recommend Finns not to travel, but there will always be people who don't follow the recommendations. There will be family visits, travels between homes, work-related travel etc.
There are A LOT of Finns currently heading back to Finland, and not just from vacations.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 5:04 am

Programs: AY+ Lumo, HH Diamond
Finnair sent a cancellation decision on 16Mar20, before any government restrictions, regarding a TKU-HEL flight scheduled for 23Mar20.

When refusing the compensation as stipulated in EC.261, Finnair argued for `extraordinary circumstances' and the `health and safety of their staff due to the coronavirus'. They were unable to detail and specify which `extraordinary circumstances' were at play, and how Finnair had done everything in their power to prevent the cancellation. No bus or re-routing was offered.

Why haven't they cancelled all flights then if health and safety of their personnel is the primary priority here? Many longer domestic routes are still operating. How can you make a case for `extraordinary circumstances' when you cancel a flight before any government restrictions, don't organise even a 2-hour bus replacement, just because the coronavirus has lowered demand?

Seems to me this case should be escalated to the Consumer Disputes Board of Finland (Kuluttajariitalautakunta).
Old Mar 21, 2020, 5:23 am

Originally Posted by zxcv1
Seems to me this case should be escalated to the Consumer Disputes Board of Finland (Kuluttajariitalautakunta).
The European Commission has stated that cancellations due to measures by public authorities intended to contain the pandemic, to protect the health of crew or even for the reason that flights would otherwise depart empty all fall under the “extraordinary circumstances” definition.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 5:29 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Now Japan has informed that visa freedom from Schengen is cancelled.

And passengers arriving in Japan are forced to 14 days quarantine

https://www.japan.travel/en/coronavirus/
Old Mar 21, 2020, 5:29 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
Now Japan has informed that visa freedom from Schengen is cancelled.

And passengers arriving in Japan are forced to 14 days quarantine
Do you reckon AY will likely cancel their only remaining longhaul to Tokyo as a result?
Old Mar 21, 2020, 5:32 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by florens
Do you reckon AY will likely cancel their only remaining longhaul to Tokyo as a result?
Probably in April we see AY that has zero long haul destinations.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 5:34 am

The European Commission has stated that cancellations due to measures by public authorities intended to contain the pandemic, to protect the health of crew or even for the reason that flights would otherwise depart empty all fall under the “extraordinary circumstances” definition.

​​​​​​​But in this case there were no restrictions by authorities on any sort of domestic travel at the time of cancellation. I have already been kind to Finnair earlier this year on account of a non-extraordinary 6h 10 min delay. I don't want to let go of compensation that is due if the argumentation simply says "extraordinary circumstances" without enough details. That just feels like a "fu" type of a reply.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 5:50 am

Originally Posted by zxcv1
​​​​​​​But in this case there were no restrictions by authorities on any sort of domestic travel at the time of cancellation. I have already been kind to Finnair earlier this year on account of a non-extraordinary 6h 10 min delay. I don't want to let go of compensation that is due if the argumentation simply says "extraordinary circumstances" without enough details. That just feels like a "fu" type of a reply.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 5:51 am

Originally Posted by OH-LGG
Probably in April we see AY that has zero long haul destinations.
For the first time since 1969.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 6:04 am

If it's the case here I will not pursue my claim of course. I am wondering about the definition of "empty". Surely "empty" cannot here be taken literally as even one passenger would not make the flight "empty". So where's the limit. 1%, 5%, 10% load? Anyway, thanks for pointing out the existence of such a clause. I am still puzzled why Finnair didn't mention this, only being vague and non-specific.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 6:43 am

Most probably simply because they’re concentrating all their resources on rebooking people right now. I believe this situation is as extraordinary as possible, no reason to pursue your claim further.
NoWindowSeat, Steve_Hun and Antx like this.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 6:51 am
Ambassador: Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
For the first time since 1969.
The world is quite disconnected now, us who are old enough to remember times before internet can perhaps try to think how it would have been just 25-30 years ago..news feed and communication, entertainment options etc. are endless...huge change in just one generation
DALtoAAL likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.