Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

AY COVID-19 - new cancellations in Europe

AY COVID-19 - new cancellations in Europe

Old Mar 20, 20, 6:31 am

Programs: AY+Plat, TK Elite (*G)
Originally Posted by warakorn View Post
Nope!
AY needs to pay the full refund. It's the rule (EC261/2004). Contact AY!
How does EC261 get involved when customer cancels his/her bookings ?

Last edited by lento; Mar 20, 20 at 3:40 pm
Old Mar 20, 20, 10:16 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by OH-LGG View Post
AY keeps Norra busy and in business. A320, A321 and A330 flights are none.
I calculated one A319 (to LHR twice daily), two ATRs for domestic flights, four E90 for Europe and two A350 for HND.

There will be twice-daily flights to OUL, LHR, CDG. Other destinations will have one flight per weekday, with alternating schedules, and some will be served on weekends, too. The HND schedule gives ample time for deep cleaning at both ends.

I wonder if it will be feasible for AY to fly some cargo-only widebodies, as well. You'd assume the cargo demand is bigger than ever with all the pax flight cancellations.
EuroFlash likes this.
Old Mar 20, 20, 11:18 am

Got back from SGN yesterday, full plane (3 empty seats i could find, all no-shows apparently).

Non-EU citizens connecting at HEL had to stay in the non-Schengen side, and were given pillows and blankets by the transit desk for the night. I was on an EU passport, and were allowed to overnight at one of the hotels just outside. Absolutely no queues anywhere. This morning's flight to HAM was switched from A319 to the E190, had around 50 people, all where connecting passengers from BKK/SGN.
It was pretty sad to see HEL so empty. Also top points for our crews, they were all so nice and professional, even though we heard it was their last flight after which they are being let got for 3 month unpaid leave. Heard the same "3 month unpaid leave" from airport employees, yet they all seemed quite positive and helpful.

Extraordinary times indeed. (and sorry for the slight off-topic)
ffay005, SPBanker and Steve_Hun like this.
Old Mar 20, 20, 11:39 am

Programs: AY GUEST
Originally Posted by jj_lgkr View Post
Got back from SGN yesterday, full plane (3 empty seats i could find, all no-shows apparently).
Why that flight stopped in BKK ?
Old Mar 20, 20, 11:41 am

OH-LGG Crew change. I guess due to the fact that Vietnam doesn't accept EU nationals since a few days, they had to change crew in BKK.
Old Mar 20, 20, 11:47 am

Programs: AY GUEST
Originally Posted by jj_lgkr View Post
OH-LGG Crew change. I guess due to the fact that Vietnam doesn't accept EU nationals since a few days, they had to change crew in BKK.
Ok. Long shift for that crew.
Old Mar 20, 20, 12:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold, OZ Diamond, LH Silver
Does anybody know why AY has not cancelled many of the flights it does not plan to operate in the coming months? For example my flights on 4th April have been zeroed out in all booking classes but so far my booking is still showing as normal on MMB.

Of course it's still several weeks before the flights so no stress but at least I would rather like to cancel sooner than later. And getting a refund is naturally easier when AY cancels the flights rather than me cancelling my booking.
Old Mar 20, 20, 12:48 pm

Ok. Long shift for that crew.
I wonder what the logistics were. Could one crew operate HEL-SGN-BKK? That should be doable in 16 hours, which I believe is the longest possible shift, but doesn't leave any room for delays.
Old Mar 20, 20, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by haapalainen View Post
Does anybody know why AY has not cancelled many of the flights it does not plan to operate in the coming months? For example my flights on 4th April have been zeroed out in all booking classes but so far my booking is still showing as normal on MMB.

Of course it's still several weeks before the flights so no stress but at least I would rather like to cancel sooner than later. And getting a refund is naturally easier when AY cancels the flights rather than me cancelling my booking.
I have a flight leaving 10APR, which has been cancelled, but it's also visible in MMB. I'm guessing they're working on the cancellations, day by day, and it's still too far out. Perhaps they need to cancel bookings manually?
Old Mar 20, 20, 1:52 pm
Ambassador: Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: AY Plat, BA Silver, HHonors/Carlson Gold
If it’s not yet clear, from April 1st everything except those listed in the PDF / special timetable will be cancelled until 30/6.

Maybe some special flights to bring stranded people back from places like Spain, possibly Thailand also, but not bookable by others/exHEL.

Cancellations/processing will take time, it’s quite a task.
Old Mar 20, 20, 2:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by niksal View Post
Funny, maybe.

Ebookers cannot be reached, no Finnish nor international numbers work. But AY CS cancelled the flights and I need to try to get my
money back from Ebookers tomorrow.
What does CS mean?
Old Mar 20, 20, 2:38 pm

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Originally Posted by warakorn View Post
What does CS mean?
Customer Service
Old Mar 20, 20, 3:04 pm

Sad news, one passenger died today on AY flight AGP-HEL. Flight was diverted to MAD.
At first, I thought IS is mixing things up, but it appears that a similar case occured on LPA-HEL on Jettime today. This flight diverted to LIS.
Old Mar 20, 20, 4:00 pm
Ambassador: Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: AY Plat, BA Silver, HHonors/Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by ffay005 View Post
At first, I thought IS is mixing things up, but it appears that a similar case occured on LPA-HEL on Jettime today. This flight diverted to LIS.
2 days in a row a death onboard a HEL bound flight from Spain. Bad luck at already difficult times..
Old Mar 20, 20, 4:36 pm

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
What I don't get is the number of intra-European flights still being operated in that reduced schedule. Do they expect there's enough connecting passengers on those to operate HND? As per the most recent update by the Ministry of the Interior, there's basically no business to conduct outside the borders, unless it's absolutely essential or you're e.g. doing maintenance in Kilpilahti or Hästholmen.

Thankfully my LHR-HEL flight will be cancelled, but my outbound HEL-LHR is still operated, although with a smaller plane.

Search this Thread