Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

AY COVID-19 - new cancellations in Europe

AY COVID-19 - new cancellations in Europe

Old Mar 15, 20, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
I think international flights are now a really big risk - rules and restirctions might change overnight, borders closed and getting stranded, quarantined abroad is really no fun. So if it isn't REALLY essential, don't.
Old Mar 15, 20, 2:24 am

Originally Posted by Jamanz View Post
At least OP Pohjola is covering the costs if trip is bought before 12.3..
...and if the insurance is bought later than in May 2013. Prior that the crisis clause wasn’t part of the coverage and obviously new terms were not updated automatically to all old customers.

https://vahinkoapu.pohjola.fi/henkil...ustajavakuutus
Old Mar 15, 20, 2:27 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC Gold, AY+ Platinum, HH Diamond, Nordic Choice Hotels Silver, IHG Diamond Elite, Avis PP
Estonia to close borders to foreign nationals.

https://news.err.ee/1064173/estonia-...-from-march-17
Old Mar 15, 20, 2:27 am

Programs: AY Platinum
Originally Posted by Jamanz View Post
At least OP Pohjola is covering the costs if trip is bought before 12.3..
Only if your trip is within 60 days of that day and you have their newer travel insurance.
Old Mar 15, 20, 2:35 am

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger View Post
I think international flights are now a really big risk - rules and restirctions might change overnight, borders closed and getting stranded, quarantined abroad is really no fun. So if it isn't REALLY essential, don't.
I'm pretty sure we'll see within a fortnight how things unravel in Europe, inc. Finland.

I personally have AY to LHR in April for corporate affairs and checked with London on Friday we're still good to go, so I'm still going as planned. I have ample time to adjust, in case the flights were to be cancelled. The UK has a different approach and the virus is as present as here, so I don't expect them to limit entry. Much more likely is that AY will cancel the flights.
Old Mar 15, 20, 2:47 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC Gold, AY+ Platinum, HH Diamond, Nordic Choice Hotels Silver, IHG Diamond Elite, Avis PP
Originally Posted by Flying Yazata View Post
I'm pretty sure we'll see within a fortnight how things unravel in Europe, inc. Finland.

I personally have AY to LHR in April for corporate affairs and checked with London on Friday we're still good to go, so I'm still going as planned. I have ample time to adjust, in case the flights were to be cancelled. The UK has a different approach and the virus is as present as here, so I don't expect them to limit entry. Much more likely is that AY will cancel the flights.
I am fully expecting the UK to close borders within a week or two. Their situation might not be bad now, because they are a bit behind. The situation will be totally different in a week or so.

I expect all international flights and travel to be halted at some point.

Call me a pessimist, but at this point I think it is unevitable.
Old Mar 15, 20, 2:57 am

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
Originally Posted by florens View Post
I am fully expecting the UK to close borders within a week or two. Their situation might not be bad now, because they are a bit behind. The situation will be totally different in a week or so.
Yes, the numbers will grow, but they have a different approach overall. That was my point. Closing foreign arrivals from other infected countries doesn't stop the virus.

Originally Posted by florens View Post
I expect all international flights and travel to be halted at some point.

Call me a pessimist, but at this point I think it is unevitable.
Yes, very possible. I'm just a realist and not acting prematurely.

In terms of savings, I think AY should now perhaps negotiate with the unions a 2-4 week total grounding. That's the most efficient cost saving measure now, taken passenger numbers will be very thin. Saves fuel, insurance etc. Hopefully we'll see at least the PRC opening up again in about one month.
Old Mar 15, 20, 3:01 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Flying Yazata View Post
Yes, the numbers will grow, but they have a different approach overall. That was my point. Closing foreign arrivals from other infected countries doesn't stop the virus.
I agree, but look what's happening around the world. The list of countries closing their borders is growing fast.
Old Mar 15, 20, 4:42 am

Is it me being too optimistic? I'm looking at the virus spread map and the virus doesn't seem to thrive in hot areas.
Take into account dense/high populated destinations such as BKK, DEL, DXB. About the same confirmed cases on those three combined as in little Finland.
Or is​​ it just fewer tests conducted in these places?
​​​​​​
Old Mar 15, 20, 4:52 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by seldomrfly View Post
Is it me being too optimistic? I'm looking at the virus spread map and the virus doesn't seem to thrive in hot areas.​​​​​​
That's typical of flu viruses overall. That's why influenza epidemics die in Finland, too, when spring comes.

I still expect the current Chinese flu to be similar, ie situation should improve vastly come May-June.
Old Mar 15, 20, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Swedish authorities moved yesterday to immediately advise against trips to any country for the next 30 days.

Tvis will put huge pressure on cancellations. Deman will virtually be zero now.
Old Mar 15, 20, 5:09 am

Programs: AY GUEST
Originally Posted by seldomrfly View Post
Is it me being too optimistic? I'm looking at the virus spread map and the virus doesn't seem to thrive in hot areas.
Take into account dense/high populated destinations such as BKK, DEL, DXB. About the same confirmed cases on those three combined as in little Finland.​​​​​​
Do you trust in "official" information from Thailand or India?
NoWindowSeat likes this.
Old Mar 15, 20, 6:48 am

Programs: AY+ Plat and several other cards
Old Mar 15, 20, 7:02 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
My summary from discussions with my network in health organizations:

Facts:
-virus spreads easily, airborne and contactborne
-virus is not that bad/fatal as many other influenzas

Implications:
-The Thing why quarantine and movement of people has been put in place is Not due to the fatality of virus, but due to the fact that if Not done, the harm would collapse everything at the same time leading to crisis of keeping up systems, least talk about medical staff.
-80% of people will suffer from being infected anyway, with varying symptoms from easy to fatal(not many), but the epidemic period will be 1-1,5 years due to easy virus spreading and the restrictive measures just widening the contamination period from ”all at once” to ”few at a time but longer time”
Old Mar 15, 20, 7:05 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by FFlash View Post
My summary from discussions with my network in health organizations:

Facts:
-virus spreads easily, airborne and contactborne
-virus is not that bad/fatal as many other influenzas

Implications:
-The Thing why quarantine and movement of people has been put in place is Not due to the fatality of virus, but due to the fact that if Not done, the harm would collapse everything at the same time leading to crisis of keeping up systems, least talk about medical staff.
-80% of people will suffer from being infected anyway, with varying symptoms from easy to fatal(not many), but the epidemic period will be 1-1,5 years due to easy virus spreading and the restrictive measures just widening the contamination period from ”all at once” to ”few at a time but longer time”
There are some simulations in this article:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...eC1MZhHUOPHd9s

Search this Thread