Thailand flight waivers?

Old Mar 9, 2020, 10:19 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Yesterday they did - hardly noticeable when you enter the area before exit immigration. There's some screens and an IR camera on a tripod further back, very unobtrusive.
Aha okay. I do remember the tripod but there was no interaction. This was in place at least 22nd Feb then.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 10:29 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), TK Elite (*G), BT VIP, HH D, BW DS
Originally Posted by remymartin
Aha okay. I do remember the tripod but there was no interaction. This was in place at least 22nd Feb then.
The IR cams were also in place at least a week before. No interaction. There was a checkpoint before immigration, and then some scattered out along the outer edges of the airside terminal, probably to screen incoming transit passengers. I walked through one of these latter ones "backwards" when going to catch my MH flight.

FWIW, individual temp checks are done at HKG right after the first BP/document check before entering the passport queue. IR camera stations mostly for arrival pax IIRC.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 10:43 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest, BT Exec
Originally Posted by SuloL
The IR cams were also in place at least a week before. No interaction. There was a checkpoint before immigration, and then some scattered out along the outer edges of the airside terminal, probably to screen incoming transit passengers. I walked through one of these latter ones "backwards" when going to catch my MH flight.

FWIW, individual temp checks are done at HKG right after the first BP/document check before entering the passport queue. IR camera stations mostly for arrival pax IIRC.
Just wondering what is being hunted down with temperature checks? Most corona-carriers do not have fever and that is just wishful thinking of containing the spread. Travel bans are the only effective measure.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 12:33 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by TTL
Just wondering what is being hunted down with temperature checks?
Peace of mind. "Oh, at least they're doing something!" Take it as one more act in the play that is called Airport Security Control.
Steve_Hun likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 12:35 pm

Programs: AY LUMO
Same BS as face masks.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Security theater has now evolved into public health theatre
ffay005 and Ed Size like this.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 8:33 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Originally Posted by TTL
Just wondering what is being hunted down with temperature checks?
The temperature checks have been in Asian airports since SARS. I guess it's just for the show.

Originally Posted by TTL
Most corona-carriers do not have fever and that is just wishful thinking of containing the spread. Travel bans are the only effective measure.
Are they? China's self-imposed travel ban did not prevent the virus from spreading outside. Italy's ban on flights from China did not help it become the second worst hit country in the world as of today. And it's too early to tell if Israel's ban will work. But between allowing US citizens and self-quarantining returning Israelis, it's not hard to imagine how this will fail sooner rather than later.

Overall, because countries can't ban their own citizens and permanent residents from returning with the infection, I can't see travel bans being effective at containment.

I'd rather think what works is elementary sanity measures such as:
  • washing hands frequently, especially before eating,
  • putting a mask not to filter air, but to avoid reflexively touching one's one face,
  • keeping out of hospitals and health care facilities if at all possible,
  • restricting visits to the sick and the elderly (to protect them).
Or really the normal measures to contain the seasonal influenza, at least on the bad years when it's more virulent or the vaccine turns ineffective.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 6:40 pm

Programs: *G, ow Saph
Originally Posted by TTL
Just wondering what is being hunted down with temperature checks? Most corona-carriers do not have fever and that is just wishful thinking of containing the spread. Travel bans are the only effective measure.
Travel bans aren't an effective measure either. It's already circulating in most countries, whether known or not, so what does restricting travel between countries do anyway? This entire travel restriction fetish is an unnecessary and annoying red herring.

ETA: I see Courmisch has said it better and in more detail than I have already...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.