Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

New AY ticket types from 31MAR20 . should we be worried ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New AY ticket types from 31MAR20 . should we be worried ?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2020, 11:03 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Well, having been in the FFP game for quite a while, I've learned that the old saying is true - "What do you call a pessimist? A realist"
I bet You have been in FINLAND for quite a while.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 11:05 am

Programs: AY+ Plat (OWE)
Ever thought of a possibility of AY adding another accrual range between European and Long Haul traffic types, ie 5 ranges instead of current 4?
Domestic => Nordic => Europe => Mid Range => Long Haul
Middle East destinations and possibly DEL shifted somewhere between current EU and LH accrual tables.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 11:53 am

New AY ticket types seems to be the topic.
I doubt much changes in accrual, changes in whats defined as SH and LH destionations and such. I doubt much changes in J tickets too.

What do you guys think of a new type of Y CHEAP? Only a personal item. No hand baggage, like recent changes on other LCCs.

Or PE Shorthaul. Replacing Seat&Meal concept?

​​​
Old Feb 28, 2020, 11:57 am

Programs: AY+ Gold, SK EBG
If 100/200% earning becomes a lot more expensive (and also the high likelyhood of Y->J upgrade becoming more difficult once PE is introduced), crediting to AY+ certainly becomes much less of a sweet spot for me. Might go back to *A only. Who knows.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 12:39 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by Trav1970
I don’t think I said anything about J-minus being any cheaper than it is today. My point is that I cannot choose to spend one euro extra for the next class up as the system will not let me. Thus if I don’t like the offering, the recourse is to ”adjust” flight timing and end up with another alternative.
OK, I get it.
(Lower price is my assumption as I can't see them getting away with hiding a price hike inside the new system of a base fare plus ancillary for adding back normal services)

Originally Posted by ff_flyer
Ever thought of a possibility of AY adding another accrual range between European and Long Haul traffic types, ie 5 ranges instead of current 4?
Domestic => Nordic => Europe => Mid Range => Long Haul
Middle East destinations and possibly DEL shifted somewhere between current EU and LH accrual tables.
They kind of had a similar thing before, where redemption for medium longhaul (NA, China, ...) was cheaper than the longest routes (Japan, Singapore, ...)
Personally, I think making it more complex is bad. Actually, ticket types and all the packetizing is all about making it easy. One moniker tells you everything (pricepoint, services, earnings, ...)

Originally Posted by seldomrfly
N...
What do you guys think of a new type of Y CHEAP? Only a personal item. No hand baggage, like recent changes on other LCCs.
​​​
If they want to compete on price alone, they need to decouple to the extreme similar to LCCs. So I would not be surprised if light or whatever the worst type is called has further services stripped away.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 12:53 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by reflektia
Originally Posted by [b]Elsewhere in internet
The internets (in this case a.k.a. easy) actually says more interesting things on that topic:

Changes in Finnairīs ticket types 31st March 2020

Customers wish to have a choice to tailor their travel experience based on their personal needs. We are now responding to this need by introducing a more unified and simple ticket type offering. There will for example be more ticket types in Business Class and at the same time we will make selecting the most suitable fare based on flexibility or other benefits easier for our customers.

As a pre-info to our valued travel agent partners, we want to inform you that starting from the 31st of March 2020 we will launch new ticket types; Light, Classic and Flex. At the same time our old ticket types will cease to exist.

All existing tickets will remain valid with their current ticket type and fare rules.

Is there something that I need to with existing Finnair tickets issued before 31st March?

No, the existing bookings will remain valid with the existing fare rules as they are until the ticket has been used. From the 31st of March onwards it is only possible to buy tickets with the new ticket types.
Ie it is absolutely clear that they will start segmenting the business class offer, providing a different set of services in each ticket type.
Ed Size likes this.

Last edited by intuition; Feb 28, 2020 at 1:09 pm
Old Feb 28, 2020, 12:58 pm
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by intuition

Ie it is absolutely clear that they will start segmenting the business class offer.
My guess is that the cheapest biz tickets cannot be changed even with a hefty fee. Same as Y basic now.
esledo likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 2:14 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat (OWE)
Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat
My guess is that the cheapest biz tickets cannot be changed even with a hefty fee. Same as Y basic now.
Yep, non-changeable, non-refundable, no checked baggage and no (free) seat selection with 25% reduced accrual factor. Pricing still a mystery but no high hopes of seeing lowered fares.
Ex EU Longhaul yields 37500 compared to 50000 (with Plat bonus)
EDIT: curious to see how much the seat selection as ancillary will cost when current Economy Comfort is around 125€,

Last edited by ff_flyer; Feb 28, 2020 at 2:19 pm
Old Feb 28, 2020, 2:22 pm
Moderator, Finnair

I too think that they won't stop at making it unflex. Bag allowance, seat selection are likely targets, because they have put much money into developing the site selling this stuff.
And each new tickettype will probably include/exclude much the same things regardless of COS. LIght is unflex without bags et.c across all cabins.

One interesting question arises. Will an upgrade always book into J light (ie you might lose some perks when upgrading) or will a Y skimpy upgrade into J skimpy?
Old Feb 28, 2020, 2:33 pm
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by intuition
I too think that they won't stop at making it unflex. Bag allowance, seat selection are likely targets, because they have put much money into developing the site selling this
No doubts about that, those are just too minor things in my mind, I very rarely care if there are bags included or not, so didn’t even bother mentioning. Hard core non-flexibility is big deal to me so highlighted that thought.

I trust that status pax will still get to keep one bag and seat selection.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 3:51 pm

Programs: AY Plat Lumo+LTG, FI Gold, DL Silver, BA, SK, AX Plat, Priority Pass, Marriott Ambassador & others
Originally Posted by ff_flyer
Yep, non-changeable, non-refundable, no checked baggage and no (free) seat selection with 25% reduced accrual factor. Pricing still a mystery but no high hopes of seeing lowered fares.
Ex EU Longhaul yields 37500 compared to 50000 (with Plat bonus)
EDIT: curious to see how much the seat selection as ancillary will cost when current Economy Comfort is around 125€,
Non changeable tickets is another red flag for me. I am OK paying a change fee for the cheaper J tickets (as I have done so many times), but a completely inflexible J ticket is simply not acceptable. In Y, the recourse is to simply buy a new ticket, but with the price levels of J tickets, this is commercially not viable.
NoWindowSeat likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 7:00 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by seldomrfly
What do you guys think of a new type of Y CHEAP? Only a personal item. No hand baggage, like recent changes on other LCCs.​​​
I don't believe in this concept for legacy carriers. They try to imitate LCCs, but even if they strip everything away from you, they still have their high legacy operating costs. You get a ryanairesque experience, but the costs for the carrier are not ryanairesque.

And how would it impact loyalty if you try to sell these rock-bottom tickets and put your Plats in Group 9, deny them seat selection and a cabin bag and don't allow them to use prio scurity or visit a lounge? OTOH, if you allow them these things even on the cheapo tickets, then you also have all the costs that these incur.

It just doesn't work out. Let LCCs be LCCs and legacy carriers be legacy carriers.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 12:30 am

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
None of the legacy carriers understand that they canīt just copy the ideas of LCCs without losing much more then wining - they may gain some more turnover - but losing most (if not all) loyality. Out there you have loyal *A, OW or AY, BA, LH customers - but you wonīt find a loyal FR, U2 or W6 customer - they only stay loyal if the airlines fly the needed routes for the lowest prices.

As a loyal customer you sometimes find yourself in a situation where you just don t understand why you do some of the stupid things you do - and then the answer is "Oh I just want to keep my status" - Something most of the LCCs customers even know about.
ffay005, FFlash and Purjelentaja like this.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 12:55 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by Ed Size
None of the legacy carriers understand that they canīt just copy the ideas of LCCs without losing much more then wining - they may gain some more turnover - but losing most (if not all) loyality. Out there you have loyal *A, OW or AY, BA, LH customers - but you wonīt find a loyal FR, U2 or W6 customer - they only stay loyal if the airlines fly the needed routes for the lowest prices.

As a loyal customer you sometimes find yourself in a situation where you just don t understand why you do some of the stupid things you do - and then the answer is "Oh I just want to keep my status" - Something most of the LCCs customers even know about.
I am loyal to Easyjet, Reijoair, Wizzair only when they fly me anywhere by max 29€ per segment. Even then I check carefully if the timetable is right and if I really need and want to go.
ffay005 likes this.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 1:06 am

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
Originally Posted by FFlash
I am loyal to Easyjet, Reijoair, Wizzair only when they fly me anywhere by max 29€ per segment. Even then I check carefully if the timetable is right and if I really need and want to go.
And this is what happens if a legacy carierer goes lcc - so they will start selling a lot of 29€ segments - but will have problems to fill their premium cabin. I did a few trips on FR during the last 12 month - everytime when it came to seat selection I could choose the seat of my choice - it was 1A and 1B on 8 flights and I could possible choose all other seats in row 1 as well as I could choose all of the emergency exit seats - which gave me the feeling that lcc customers don t want to pay for "luxury" - and we are talking about flying times between three and four hours ow.

For me this all looks like a management trick. The industry discovered the upsell revenue - so they need to create something they actually can sell and create extra revenue. So when in the future the revenue from the tickets go down they can say "Yes but we created this wonderful aditional revenue - which without our super management skills wouldn t be there - so we need a bigger bonus".
intuition likes this.

Last edited by Ed Size; Feb 29, 2020 at 1:12 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.